PDA

View Full Version : Avatar the movie - hair!

justme
December 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I saw Avatar and the hair on the Na'vi is amazing! I love their classic braids and shorter braids too.

Here (http://photogallery.filmofilia.com/r-avatar-1687.htm), here (http://photogallery.filmofilia.com/r-avatar-3500.htm), and here (http://photogallery.filmofilia.com/r-avatar-1652.htm) are a few pictures. Every single Na'vi has that amazing braid!

Heavenly Locks
December 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM
*claps*

oooh! I haven't seen it yet but I plan to!

I love the pictures. THat hair is WOW!

enfys
December 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hmm. It looks like extensions to me. Although there is a lot of taper...

I can't wait to see the film! They made my local cinema into an IMAX to premiere it.

Vivien'
December 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I've seen it. Great movie ! And great hair. Though, I feel the braid is kinda fake, if you consider the special thing there's in it, and that they the change their hairdo so often, keeping the braid.

Gabriel
December 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I thought they didn't have hair as we have hair and the "hair" is actually something else? An extension of their nervous systems?

LoversLullaby
December 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm probably going to go see that soon. Looks good.
And I like those braids.

cindy58
December 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I saw the movie last night and liked it. Wish I could do that with my braid!

lillylonghair
December 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I can't wait to see that movie! The hair is awesome too. Is it weird that I kinda the characters are hot?

*Aoife*
December 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I can't wait to see that movie! The hair is awesome too. Is it weird that I kinda the characters are hot?

Lets be weird together. They are :p

I love their hair though! And I can't wait to see the movie. I just have to wait until my exams are finished :(

JenniferNoel
December 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Their hair looks amazing, just another reason for me to go out and see the movie. It seems very visually dynamic, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Sammich
December 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
They are quite... hot. :D Teehee.
I think it must be the felineness (At least for me)
MREOW!
I LOVE their hair. I'd marry one if they existed. >> I wanna seeee it!

justme
December 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I read that the alien femaie, Neytiri, is supposed to be the first non-human sex symbol! ;) I think she's hot, as are the guys, and Sigourney Weaver looks great as a Na'vi!

Thinthondiel
December 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I read that the alien femaie, Neytiri, is supposed to be the first non-human sex symbol! ;) I think she's hot, as are the guys, and Sigourney Weaver looks great as a Na'vi!

Hey, Mister Spock has been considered a sex symbol by lots of Trekkies since the 1960's. :D Probably since before the first interracial kiss on American television (which happened to be in a Star Trek episode).

But to get back on topic: I'm looking forward to this movie! It looks very interesting. And yes... their hair is great!

Pixna
December 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I love all those braids! Can't wait to see the movie. In the third shot you provided, how do you thing she gets all those beads in her braids, and how do they stay in?

Liluri
December 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM

DH read that there was audience testing on the Na'vi to make them appeal to humans, so they removed gills and made them more appealing. So I gather you are meant to find them hot :)

Tangerine
December 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I love all those braids! Can't wait to see the movie. In the third shot you provided, how do you thing she gets all those beads in her braids, and how do they stay in?

I was going to comment on the beads too - I love the look of that! They could be similar to dreadbeads. I think (but I am not sure) those tend to have a little hinge and clasp around a dread.

Can't wait to see the movie. I love the way the N'avi look. Although a critic has spoilt it a little by dubbing it Dances with Smurfs :rant:... It hadn't even crossed my mind before I read that!

Juanita
December 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM
The beads look like the large holed wooden ones we used to use for macrame. :)

justme
December 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hmm Thinthondiel, Spock and other Star Trek characters...yes, but they are all humans with makeup and prosthetics. I can think of another - the female ape lead in the Planet of the Apes. In a way I thought she was more attractive as an ape than as a human (though attractive both ways). The Na'vi are a step further, I think.

I love those wooden beads, Pixna! I'm not sure if they exist in our world or only in a computer, but they're pretty cool.

Thinthondiel
December 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hmm Thinthondiel, Spock and other Star Trek characters...yes, but they are all humans with makeup and prosthetics. I can think of another - the female ape lead in the Planet of the Apes. In a way I thought she was more attractive as an ape than as a human (though attractive both ways). The Na'vi are a step further, I think.

I love those wooden beads, Pixna! I'm not sure if they exist in our world or only in a computer, but they're pretty cool.

True, Spock and the other Star Trek characters are all created by putting make-up and prosthetics on people. The Na'vi are computer generated. It still doesn't make them real aliens any more than the Star Trek characters. It's the characters that are aliens, not the actors or the... uhm, computer-generated stuff. :p

So IMO, sexy alien characters from Star Trek or other shows should count as alien sex symbols just as much as the Na'vi. :)

Monkey962
December 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I saw Avatar and the hair on the Na'vi is amazing! I love their classic braids and shorter braids too.

Here (http://photogallery.filmofilia.com/r-avatar-1687.htm), here (http://photogallery.filmofilia.com/r-avatar-3500.htm), and here (http://photogallery.filmofilia.com/r-avatar-1652.htm) are a few pictures. Every single Na'vi has that amazing braid!

I kind of wish I had hair like the second one. That might be too long for me to handle, though.

CestMadeleine
December 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I saw this last night in 3D. I've waited for it for so long and I must say it was breath taking. Simply beautiful. For those who haven't seen it, go now. Believe me it's worth the theatre tickets rather than waiting for it on DVD.

I've seen it. Great movie ! And great hair. Though, I feel the braid is kinda fake, if you consider the special thing there's in it, and that they the change their hairdo so often, keeping the braid.

The braid I don't really think is hair. I doubt it even grows when you're a fully developed adult considering you can't cut it. They threaten by holding a knife against it so I think it would be bad, possibly die or become disconnected to the world which is just as bad. I agree, it must be an extension of the nervous system and is simply covered with hairs to protect it. However, their actual hair was awesome! I love those braids and beads and feathers, eek :)

Not weird at all, I was drooling over them. I preferred Jake as a Na'vi than his real self lol. His face looks more handsome, I dunno why. I'd love to be one of them too. The whole planet is amazing and be so connected to nature, man I'd give anything for that. ^_^

NiAosSi
December 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Chimin' in - they are pretty hot. Like cat/elf people. LHC is full of fantasy loving weirdos. :D

windinherhair
December 19th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Awesome! My husband and I are planning to go see it in the next week.

GlassEyes
December 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
:wail:

MY FRIENDS WENT WITHOUT ME TO SEE IT IN IMAX. *sniffle* :cry:

JamieLeigh
December 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I can't wait to see that movie!! Unfortunately I've got to wait another 2 weeks until my kids are gone again. :p Poo.

I never delve into whether movie hair looks fake or not...I couldn't handle another disappointment like the LotR fake hair, so I just don't ask and try to steer clear of "The Making Of..." stuff. :(

Pear Martini
December 20th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I can't wait to go see this movie

RocketDog
December 20th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Saw the movie on Thursday night - LOVED it! The long braid has physiological signifigance to the species, but I loved seeing all the unique braids and styles that even the 'extras' had - fascinating attention to detail!

adiapalic
December 20th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Uhm..... just saw it literally minutes ago. It was absolutely amazing.

The Na'vi characters are completely CGI... so that goes for the hair too. Absolutely stunning visuals--while watching the film I was sure that there was a combination of CGI layered onto actual human footage during face shots, but I was wrong.

I'm guessing these are the best complete CGI characters since Gollum from LOTR. How I wondered? Turns out the director actually developed a new way to reproduce CGI facial expressions -- "the actors [wore] tiny webcams all over their heads to capture their expressions in exacting detail." (http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552,49304533,00.htm) -- and that visual information was utilized to reproduce complete CGI Na'vi characters (say for example, the way a person uses a photo to make a drawing). Simply amazing.

Also, I thought it was really interesting that the braided hair was used to encase the tender nerves/synapses for protection.

ETA: While nicely written as a critical dissection of the film, I personally feel the article I referenced comes from a bit of a film-snob, particularly in terms of the CGI. I can relate his point on the story being a typical allegory of American Indians, ie. "noble savage" against greedy-white-man-of-western-world cliches... but I noted this and find it to be easily forgiven because the symbolism is culturally relevant to today as well as to our human history world-over.

Anyway, the hairstyles were beautiful!

AnimaSola3o4
December 20th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I saw the movie. The braids are functional, way hard to explain but i guess an extension of the nervous system works.

FWIW, I decided to be a Na'vi for halloween next year! :) Only difference will be.... more clothing lol.

ETA: Oh and this thread makes me think of Ever After. I know the hair is likely all extensions and such, but it doesn't make it any less beautiful IMHO! I watch it when I want some long hair inspo!

asliok
December 20th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Great movie. I saw yesterday and it's already in my top movies.

CestMadeleine
December 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM
FWIW, I decided to be a Na'vi for halloween next year! :) Only difference will be.... more clothing lol.

Same here! I think I decided to right after I saw the second trailer...which I watched over and over again *cough*

ETA: While nicely written as a critical dissection of the film, I personally feel the article I referenced comes from a bit of a film-snob, particularly in terms of the CGI. I can relate his point on the story being a typical allegory of American Indians, ie. "noble savage" against greedy-white-man-of-western-world cliches... but I noted this and find it to be easily forgiven because the symbolism is culturally relevant to today as well as to our human history world-over.

This is exactly what me and DF thought too. Made me think, how would our society react today if we find an alien species? And depending on their civilization and technological evolution would we try to take over their land or would we negotiate/help them to evolve and let them keep their land.

Either way, I know our scientists will overdose from pure amazement just trying to discover the new plants, animals and people :D

All in all this movie made me think of Gliese 581 C a whole lot (and other possible Earth like worlds)..and how ardently I crave to see it in my lifetime. But I won't lol.

honeybrown1976
December 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
They aren't completely CGI. They took the facial and body moments of the actors. Imagine the actors doing everything and then placing animation over it.

DragonLady
December 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but want to badly. My kids went and saw it, but I had to stay home. :(

I've always wanted to put beads in my hair like those in the OP's 3rd? picture. I used to go to school with a girl who did that, but I had about 2" of hair so didn't dare to ask her how she did it.

They looked like wooden beads with larger holes, and she put a whole string of them on each bundle of hair. They looked absolutely awesome. Some days she would have different kinds of wood or different colors and they would kinda clink and clack when she moved around. I think I stared at her hair a bit too much once during gym class because I think I weirded her out and we didn't speak much after that. :( There was no way I could admit how jealous I was back then. :(

ap1524
December 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Fantastic CGI that really captures movement of individual hair strands. That's such a small portion of the entire movie, but do see it - you're in for a treat!

lillylonghair
December 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Lets be weird together. They are :p

I love their hair though! And I can't wait to see the movie. I just have to wait until my exams are finished :(

Okay,I feel better now that I am not the only one!:D

I want to see it but I am waiting until my husband gets home since he wants ot see it too!

Elenna
December 22nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
The science fiction story, characters, CG animation, technology, alien life, etc were all wonderful. Maybe this will lead to new hair fashions! The story "worked" on so many levels.

Armelle
December 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
I've heard so many good things about this movie. I may sneak out of the house tomorrow to go see it. (My cats may be a bit upset at me. :p)

Hm...braids and hair beads...hmmm.

Anje
December 23rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
Saw the movie last night and actually commented to my friends that I wanted to find some place to plug in my braid.

So the little neural end connector thing... is that braided in with the rest of the hair, or is the braid of hair hollow with the nerve fiber at the core, or ?

TammySue
December 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
David and I saw this at the IMAX in 3D yesterday. It was awesome (my first IMAX and 3D experience!) We both immediately noticed the braids! :inlove:

GlassEyes
December 23rd, 2009, 08:04 AM
Saw the movie last night and actually commented to my friends that I wanted to find some place to plug in my braid.

So the little neural end connector thing... is that braided in with the rest of the hair, or is the braid of hair hollow with the nerve fiber at the core, or ?
My guess is that the 'hair' is a protective covering and that it runs the length of the braid. When they held a knife up to the main character's head, they threatened the upper half, if I remember correctly, not just the bottom. I'd sort of liken it to a more exposed/developed brain stem, the removal of which, like with humans, would probably kill you.

storytellerzero
December 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
I didn't like how the braid terminated about 5 inches past the tail base and had to hang to one side or the other. I thought it was awkward looking. Also, even though the braid had those special tendrils for creating "the bond" in the tip, it didn't seem able to move on it's own like a tail which means at that length it would be quite in the way and in danger of being damaged with the kind of aerial and jungle acrobatics they seemed to engage in frequently in their way of life. Also, I would have expected it to be used in bonding with one's mate or for intimate/sexual things since it facilitated access and exchange of the innermost self as depicted by using the tendrils to commune with the labor beasts and the soul trees. Overall, disappointed. :justy: So hard to find really good long hair literature/stories.

GlassEyes
December 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Uh, I'm pretty sure they used the braid link in the bonding scene. xD; They just didn't throw it in your face.

Rentlle
December 23rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
oooooooooooh, wanna see the movie!! :D

CestMadeleine
December 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Uh, I'm pretty sure they used the braid link in the bonding scene. xD; They just didn't throw it in your face.

I agree. It would make no sense not to considering they bond with just about everything. I guess they tried to keep it safe for children and not use that kind of innuendo :)

Cereus
December 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Wow, I just saw 'Avatar'. Get ready to plug in your braids!:)

peachrose
December 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Intriguing... I'd like to see that movie, I've heard a few good reviews now.

Sieren
December 23rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Yes, definitly go see it peachrose!! All of the alien characters have really cool braided hair, plus the graphics are amazing and the story is pretty good too! :)

GlassEyes
December 24th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I agree. It would make no sense not to considering they bond with just about everything. I guess they tried to keep it safe for children and not use that kind of innuendo :)
Exactly. :)

Monkey962
December 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I didn't like how the braid terminated about 5 inches past the tail base and had to hang to one side or the other. I thought it was awkward looking.

I think the length is determined by how long the tendrils are. The braid is just there to protect them. However, if that's the case, I have no idea how one would braid around the tendrils. Also, the tendrils need to be long enough to lie on the ground if a Na'vi is sitting - as seen in the rituals they had.

rach
December 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM
i really want to see this ............ just see the trailer on youtube

W. J. Maria
January 30th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I didn't like how the braid terminated about 5 inches past the tail base and had to hang to one side or the other. I thought it was awkward looking. Also, even though the braid had those special tendrils for creating "the bond" in the tip, it didn't seem able to move on it's own like a tail which means at that length it would be quite in the way and in danger of being damaged with the kind of aerial and jungle acrobatics they seemed to engage in frequently in their way of life. (...) Overall, disappointed. :justy: So hard to find really good long hair literature/stories.

I agree with you there. It is unrealistic for the Na'vi to have what looks exactly like long braids, and then they turn out not to be hair at all since they can be plugged in to create a bond. Hair is dead at the end, it's keratin, it grows at the root only. If these appendages are so important, they would not hang around like a regular braid... It is biologically unsound.

Of course fantasy does not have to be realistic. I guess I am not into science fiction/fantasy much. I didn't like these alien's noses, ears, and tails either.

Merewen
January 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
As far as the beads in the hair goes, I used to have a hair bead set. You'd thread the beads on the hair and there was a little plastic plug thing that would go in the bead on the bottom, holding it, and therefore all the other beads, on.

I haven't seen this movie, although I would like to...

Naters
January 30th, 2010, 11:52 PM
omg i love this!! when i was watching the movie, i was thinking gosh their hair is soo pretty!! i want a super long braid like that haha! hopefully someday!

elina333
January 31st, 2010, 02:21 AM
Loved that movie and the hair was indeed amazing!

Little_Bird
January 31st, 2010, 08:18 AM
I saw the film in the cinema! I was so amazed by it and how the Navi conect themselves to nature through their hair! It's awesome!

I had my hair in a braid and I felt so special to be the only one coming out of the movie with my hair like that... :cheese:

MusicLady
February 17th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I just saw the movie recently, and I loved it. I have a serious case of braid envy - I don't care if it's real or not! Now that I'm done trimming off thin hair, my braid is going classic.

Sammich
February 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM
It's absolutely amazing and I feel inspired to grow a braid just like 'em, so in the future I can play 'Navi' with mah dog. :D
LOL. Definately inspired ME to go classic too!