PDA

View Full Version : Should I use a clarifying shampoo?

Gamber_747
December 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I have excessively dry hair and have heard that clarifying shampoos are bad for dry hair. I use it once after running out of a bottle of shampoo and it indeed gives the hair a new level of dryness and just a miserable feel overall.

I have read on random articles that you should change your shampoo brand frequently instead of clarifying. Is that true and will using 2 shampoos be enough like I use one for a month and then use the other next month and then go back to the other and so on?

Islandgrrl
December 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't use a clarifying shampoo on a regular basis, but from time to time to remove product buildup, it shouldn't leave your hair totally a wreck. Especially if you follow it with a good moisturizing treatment.

I'm not sure I understand your question re: switching shampoos. Are you talking about using one shampoo for a month and then switching to another for a month and going back and forth like that? You certainly could do that if it gives you good results.

Personally, I use the same shampoo all the time, diluted, once every week or 10 days and CO or WO in between as needed. Works just great for me.

rogue_psyche
December 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Not all clarifying shampoos are equal. Suave Daily Clarifying comes to mind as it has demithicone and claims to be cone free. It makes my hair feel a little fried, even after deep conditioning. I've had those amazing clarifying washes with Neutrogena Anti-Residue. It has a nice, simple ingredient list (from drugstore.com):

Water (Purified), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocoamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, Fragrance

The concept of clarifying is that over time, your hair products will build-up on your hair. For example, shampoos often clean and impart moisturizing ingredients, which leave a residue that builds up over time. If you CO wash, there will be conditioner residue that will not be completely removed by the next CO wash. Heavy cones like demithicone build up quicker than a lot of things. The residue itself isn't a problem, but if the hair gets to much build-up it will look lank and will become tangly or sticky.

Clarify as often as you find you need. If you use gentle shampoo and conditioner or CWC, you probably will only need to clarify monthly. If you use cones you might need to clarify weekly. If you CO it seems to be highly dependent on your scalp and your conditioner for the CO.

Clarifying is stripping, so try not to do it if you don't have to and follow it with lots of moisture, such as an SMT or a catnip soak. This part of the clarifying process is really what makes your hair super-soft.

mommy101405
December 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
How often you clarify really depends on your hair. Its mainly to remove buildup from products or moisturizing shampoos or conditioners, oils, etc.

I clarify after I have been using a lot of products.

And yes I do get good results from switching up shampoos.

If you do clarify make sure you follow with a good moisturizing if you have very dry hair.

redneckprincess
December 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I just bought a suave (or vo5, i cant recall) clarifying shampoo to use for my weekly washes which happen the night before I SMT....was that not a good idea?

Carolyn
December 18th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I wonder
I just bought a suave (or vo5, i cant recall) clarifying shampoo to use for my weekly washes which happen the night before I SMT....was that not a good idea?
I wonder if you would need it that often unless you are using heavy cones, I would imagine using a clarifying poo less often would be better. Go get another bottle of something else for the weekly poos before your SMTs. You can still use the clarifying one as needed.