PDA

View Full Version : Lifeless curls

abritta3
December 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Sooo today I showered, conditioned my hair then applied coconut oil...
I air dried and my curls are...shiny...but lifeless...
the ends aren't curling under and there isn't a lot of volume either
I am really disapointed
I've been wearing my hair in updos most of the time so I haven't even tried messing with my curls
Any curlies have some advice? Am I over moisturizing?
I just rinsed my hair with cool water and I am air drying again. I'm thinking of adding a gel but I don't want to overstyle...
I am so lost!!

Lamb
December 18th, 2009, 01:21 PM
It could be that you have a bit of a buildup. :flower:
Or maybe you have overmoisturized and your hair needs protein?
I'd shampoo (SLS) and condition, skip the leave-in, and see what happens.

Angharad
December 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I too thought of build-up, but when you've tried to clarify your hair and then still the curls are lifeless may be a tiny trim (and I mean really cutting just a teensy weensy bit) can do the trick to bring back life to your curls.

Or after washing form your curls by grabbing into your hair (don't know how to explain it properly) will give it extra "power".

You could also (after washing) hang your hair down (head down), then divide the hair in two parts and then wrap a towel with both parts of hair curled up in the towel (like you've got two horns; sorry for the bad explaining hope you get the picture). Just let it sit for 15 minutes, then dab some coconutoil or whatever in your hair and let it airdry.

With my hair I have this routine that works best for my wavy hair: wash once a week with really soft shampoo or shikakai/ghassoul (without SLS), the rest of the week just conditoner when I shower and that is the softest way to treat my waves/curls.

spidermom
December 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
My hair is less curly than yours to begin with, but I can't get defined curls without product (like gel), except for my sig pic, and even in that one I worked extra conditioner through the canopy - my regular rinse-out conditioner, except I left it in. It also helps curl formation if I twirl strands around my fingers.

Length does tend to pull out curl. Also straightening can have a discouraging effect on curls for weeks if not longer.

Krifantasy
December 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Wow! Someone from the same city and with similar hair type! I agree, that it sounds like build-up. The SLS and condish seems like a good idea.

To give some more body to my curls, I like to plop my hair after i wash it. Gather your hair in a towel or hair turban, bunching up the curls in the center of the towel and then piling it up on top of your head. I leave it up for as long as I have time (I have done this for only 30 sec. and up to a half hour). This seems to give the curls a real chance or curling without being pulled down by the weight of my hair.

girlcat36
December 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM
When this happens I clarify with baking soda. I get bouncy curls when I do that. Keep in mind if you do use baking soda, you must use a heavy moisturizing conditioner after, and an ACV rinse at the end!

wavestogrow
December 18th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Let's see, first of all if my hair is looking lifeless, like others have said, I clarify. Then I do a DT with heat, rinse that out well, and just use a light leave in conditioner.
For volume, I need to turn my head upside down in the shower and do a cold water rinse over my hair to make it more shiny and full of life. I put some gel on a paper towel, and scrunch my hair dry with it (just until it's not dripping wet anymore). Then I just let it air dry. When it's like 95% I once again turn my head upside down and shake out the curls to give it more volume. I don't touch or break up the curls though. Hope something works for you!

BlackfootHair
December 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I've noticed that if I continuly wear my hair back, it takes it a bit to go back to being curly. I hope you find your solution soon! :)

bumblebums
December 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I have less curl in the winter, when the air is drier (though as you are a 3a/b, humidity might not play as much of a role).

A clarifying rinse might help you, but for me, BS takes the curl out and adds tons of frizz. I don't use conditioner anymore, though--just vinegar rinses and such. I'd just say, if you use BS, be careful. A stronger white vinegar rinse (50V/50W) can act like a clarifier, too.

One definite way to make curls look shiny and lively is to wash with flaxseed mucilage This is a little too moisturizing on my type of hair, but it isn't quite as curly as yours. It seems that the more curl you have, the better it works.

bumblebums
December 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Oops--I was going to include a recipe for the flaxseed concoction.

Take 1tbsp of flaxseed, boil it in 1 cup of water for 5 min, add a tea bag of hibiscus or camomile, and spices (cloves, cardamom, whatever) in a cloth baggie or a tea ball. Strain and cool.

Heidi_234
December 18th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Apart from possible build up - it could also be a weather thing. I cannot for the life of me get my curls right these days, when only a month or so ago I had no problems at all.

abritta3
December 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Thank you every one. All of your posts gave me a great amount of encouragement. Apart from clarifying with some watered down shampoo (and ONLY to my scalp), I'm going to do a protein treatment to0.