PDA

View Full Version : I've got waves! Now what to do with them?

florenonite
December 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
This morning after I washed my hair I didn't finger-comb it at all. I left it in my towel for about fifteen to twenty minutes, then I scrunched some coconut oil through it. It was originally intended for hairtyping, out of curiosity, but I didn't want to leave out the coconut oil and that was the only way I could think of applying it besides finger-combing it through.

The first shot's from the back, the second one is the side, as I've got more wave on the sides than the back.

Behold the waves!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=57914http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=57915

And now comes the questioning. You might not see it in the pictures, but my hair is really frizzy. The natural solution would be to not strip it as much when washing and, as I lather twice, that shouldn't be too difficult, right? However, it's not quite so simple. The reason I lather twice is because, especially in the winter, I like to wash my hair as infrequently as possible, because having wet hair just makes me wet all over for the rest of the day. That in addition to the fact that combing, even finger-combing, makes the waves disappear, means I've lost my two methods of reducing frizz. Any ideas?

My other question concerns the reason I finger-comb in the first place. I've got a rather long face, and when I take my hair out of my towel after a shower (I do the whole flip over, wrap hair up, stand up and tuck it in at the neck thing), it's a bit high at the top. This is an unflattering look on me, so I finger-comb the top layer to get rid of it. As this isn't an option when I'm encouraging my waves, I was wondering if there are any curlies who don't comb post-shower who could help me out.

Vrushali
December 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
about your second question..have you tried 'plopping'? That may help with the front height issues :)

SimplyViki
December 18th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Maybe you could do the whole encouraging waves routine, and then put a headband on to make the hair on top lie flat?

How do you wash your hair? Do you CWC? Sometimes if my hair's really greasy, I'll sort of CO-wash first, then wash with shampoo as usual, then condition as usual. But the first conditioning works pretty well to loosen/emulsify any grease hanging onto my roots, and then the shampoo effectively gets rid of it. I consider that different than a regular CWC (in which I would just apply conditioner from my ears down - in this method, I massage it into my roots). I think that might help with the frizz, if that's from the double-lathering, anyway.

florenonite
December 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM
about your second question..have you tried 'plopping'? That may help with the front height issues :)

I've tried, but plopping makes it worse ><

Maybe you could do the whole encouraging waves routine, and then put a headband on to make the hair on top lie flat?

Ooh, that might work!

How do you wash your hair? Do you CWC? Sometimes if my hair's really greasy, I'll sort of CO-wash first, then wash with shampoo as usual, then condition as usual. But the first conditioning works pretty well to loosen/emulsify any grease hanging onto my roots, and then the shampoo effectively gets rid of it. I consider that different than a regular CWC (in which I would just apply conditioner from my ears down - in this method, I massage it into my roots). I think that might help with the frizz, if that's from the double-lathering, anyway.

I use shampoo bars, hence the double-lathering. I only lather once with regular 'poo, but with the bars I'd have to wash every 1-2 days if I lathered once.

I don't use conditioner at the moment, but I might pick some up and try CO followed by a single lather of the 'poo bars. CO on its own was an utter failure for me, but it might work like this.

SimplyViki
December 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Well, on the other hand, might not want to rock the boat and upset the balance if your hair is currently content without conditioner. My hair guzzles as much conditioner as I can throw at it. I can't imagine doing without, LOL!

So you use shampoo bars... like, soap based ones, right? Not LUSH-type sulfate based ones? If it's not sulfates you're using, I don't think double latherings should make your hair frizzy... I'm pretty sure shampoo bars are supposed to be lathered twice. Or more times. Hmm...

Maybe you just need a conditioner after all. I'd definitely make sure it's cone-free, though if you're not using sulfates.

Wow, this post was rambling.

florenonite
December 18th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Yeah, the soap-based bars. If I go back to conditioner, it will be 'cone-free because 'cones and my hair just don't get along.

It's mostly near the scalp that it's a problem, where I wouldn't be using conditioner ordinarily (I don't even wash the length, just let the suds run down). I oiled the length, but putting oil on my scalp right after washing would make the washing redundant.

klcqtee
December 18th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I don't use conditioner at the moment, but I might pick some up and try CO followed by a single lather of the 'poo bars. CO on its own was an utter failure for me, but it might work like this.

When you pick up some conditioner, I advise either cone free, or maybe low cone (water soluble cones)

My hair has more natural wave to it than yours, but coney CO makes my hair nearly straight. If your hair can tolerate cone free, it will help you with waves. Unfortunately, cone free doesn't help to reduce frizz much. Any conditioner might help your frizz.

A conditioner with water soluble cones (or cones low down on the ingredient list), it will help more with frizz, but may reduce your waves.

Scrunching coconut oil into my hair also tends to make my hair frizzy. I find that what works best for me is to rub a little bit of coconut oil through my hair while it is sopping wet, then wrapping it up to encourage waves.

To help with waves and the height issue: I also have a long face, so I flip my hair upside down, and rustle it up, then scoop and grab it and smush/fold it up on top of my head, where I then use a giant jaw clip (you may need two or three) to hold all the waves in place. Then I smooth out and pat down the hair at the front of my head, so that it doesnt stand up so much. I let it dry over night. Sleeping isn't an issue because the clips are on top of my head.

Of course all of this is just what has worked for me.

Your waves look beautiful, I hope you enjoy them!

Sheltie_Momma
December 18th, 2009, 11:30 AM
A half up with a claw clip while it dries, maybe? That way the top will have a little tension and not dry puffy, but the wave pattern on the rest of the hair is undisturbed. I specifically say claw clip because it can be used to sort of rake the scalp hair back but won't (at least in my hair) leave a dent or anything when you take it out later.

PS - I love your hair, it is some of my favorite LHC hair!

Heidi_234
December 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Ooh I like the waves :inlove:

For the frizz, maybe applying aloe vera gel before putting it up in the towel would help? Or mixing AVG with coconut oil (50/50) when the hair is wet/damp and then put it up in the towel (GTBM uses 50/50 castor oil/AVG as a frizz buster, another option). Even if you don't use conditioner, I'd suggest you to scrunch your hair upwards (without products or anything), when it's wet. It makes the water come out and run down the scrunched length while it's not subjected to gravity, which encourages waves (and curls).

[I suppose your waves are very fragile, so any fiddling or product applying you'd want to do before you put it in the towel, that's why I mention using AVG or AVG/coconut oil before toweling it. ]

As for the volume part on top, yes, plopping would make it 'worse'. But when your hair is still damp you might want to try and align your part, but only touch the first inch or so of the roots, with all four fingers close together as if you're trying to scratch the surface of the hair. I hope I'm clear enough lol. When I try to restore the part without messing up the curls I do this, and it kills the volume at the roots too for me.

teela1978
December 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
What about a quick acid rinse of some sort (e.g. vinegar) after your poo bar? Pure soap is likely to raise the cuticle, perhaps forcing it back down will get rid of some frizz?

Then again, my hair tends to get greasier faster with a vinegar rinse, so maybe its not the best idea, trading one problem for another...

enfys
December 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
What do you do with waves? Straighten them with flat irons, duh. No?

I like your natural waves, and I think not touching them while you adjust the roots shouldn't be a problem since there isn't much of a pattern to them; they're crazy and random.
I do the opposite to you and often push my front hair up and forward to get more volume, holding it with a claw clip and that doesn't affect the rest of my hair. Sheltie Momma gets away with it your way so I expect you would too!

Katze
December 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM
hello hairtwin! :D the pics look a lot like my hair, but yours is thicker, longer, and a prettier color...anyway what works for me might work for you.

I find a lot of moisture, especially on the length, helps my waves look their best. I often mix leave in (Fox's) with hair gel. Also I do use gel or mousse a lot, especially now that i have so much new growth and such thin ends from shedding. Basically I need product all the time now.

A half up with a claw clip while it dries, maybe? That way the top will have a little tension and not dry puffy, but the wave pattern on the rest of the hair is undisturbed. I specifically say claw clip because it can be used to sort of rake the scalp hair back but won't (at least in my hair) leave a dent or anything when you take it out later.

PS - I love your hair, it is some of my favorite LHC hair!

me too!

This kind of drying helps me a lot since I also have scalp cleavage. But I tend to have massive poof (and frizz) on the top anyway.

Tips from Melisande, Arctic, and Spidermom have also helped me since they have similar hairtypes...

your hair is just GORGEOUS, too. Hope mine looks like that soon. :D

florenonite
December 22nd, 2009, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone :flower:

When you pick up some conditioner, I advise either cone free, or maybe low cone (water soluble cones)

My hair has more natural wave to it than yours, but coney CO makes my hair nearly straight. If your hair can tolerate cone free, it will help you with waves. Unfortunately, cone free doesn't help to reduce frizz much. Any conditioner might help your frizz.

A conditioner with water soluble cones (or cones low down on the ingredient list), it will help more with frizz, but may reduce your waves.

Scrunching coconut oil into my hair also tends to make my hair frizzy. I find that what works best for me is to rub a little bit of coconut oil through my hair while it is sopping wet, then wrapping it up to encourage waves.

Oh, yeah, if I get any conditioner it'll be 'cone-free. 'Cones and my hair just don't like each other ;)

I might try that with putting the coconut oil in before towelling it. This avoids the frizz from scrunching and also keeps me from combing out the waves.

That could work, I think I'll try it.

As for the volume part on top, yes, plopping would make it 'worse'. But when your hair is still damp you might want to try and align your part, but only touch the first inch or so of the roots, with all four fingers close together as if you're trying to scratch the surface of the hair. I hope I'm clear enough lol. When I try to restore the part without messing up the curls I do this, and it kills the volume at the roots too for me.

I think that makes sense; I'll have to try it.

What about a quick acid rinse of some sort (e.g. vinegar) after your poo bar? Pure soap is likely to raise the cuticle, perhaps forcing it back down will get rid of some frizz?

Then again, my hair tends to get greasier faster with a vinegar rinse, so maybe its not the best idea, trading one problem for another...

Vinegar rinses make my hair greasy faster, too. I was doing lemon juice rinses for a time, but they were a bit of a faff because the lemon juice needs kept in the fridge. I should go back to cold water rinses, though, as they do a bit to close the cuticle.

Stormsong
December 22nd, 2009, 06:35 AM
If lemon rinses worked, maybe citric acid rinse would work? With the acid being in a powder form, you wouldn't need to keep it in the fridge.

florenonite
December 22nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
hello hairtwin! :D the pics look a lot like my hair, but yours is thicker, longer, and a prettier color...anyway what works for me might work for you.

The colour's mostly from a henna gloss I did back in April. It's faded a lot, but in the flash from the camera and direct sunlight it makes my hair a warmer blondish-brown than usual.

An update: today after washing I did a cold water rinse and squeezed my hair out. I applied the usual amount of coconut oil and put it up in my towel for at least half an hour, taking it down a couple times to squeeze out my hair and rewrap it. I did heidi 234's thing to prevent the volume. All in all, it looks pretty decent. There's still a bit of frizz at the top, and it could do with a bit more wave, but it's not bad. I'm thinking of getting some AVG at some point to deal with both of these. The coconut oil won't help much with frizz at the top because it would make it greasy, but AVG shouldn't have that effect.