PDA

View Full Version : 1 Year Anniversary since Chemical Color!

Yarn Muse
December 18th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Today is my 1-year anniversary of NOT coloring my hair with chemicals. (I have nothing personally against anyone who does, but my hair is healthier when I don't.)

I have about 6 inches or a bit more of non-chemically-colored hair, though I do use cassia/a little henna sometimes to blend in grays and make them gold instead of silver. My new growth is so soft I can't believe it. I forgot what it felt like because it's been many years since I have been without chemical color.

yay!

Aditi
December 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Yay!!! goody for you happy aniversary :)

spidermom
December 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Here's to healthy hair; Congratulations!

JamieLeigh
December 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'm glad you're happy with your hair!! It's a big thing to be able to say "I put down the color and didn't touch it for a year!" Most people go back, lol. Congrats!! :flower:

MrsGuther
December 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Happy 1 year Not-coloring-your-hair Anniversary! I have not colored or highlighted my hair in 4 months and it is killing me! It feels like it is going to take a few YEARS to get all the virgin hair to long enough where I can cut off the colored part! Your hair is very pretty. Thats awesome that your natural hair is soft and manageable. My virgin hair is a whole lot softer than the hair that was color treated. I figure it's cheaper for me to not color my hair anyways.

abritta3
December 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Congratulations! I haven't chemically dyed mine since June and I am also happy about that. My hair feels amazing and is so much healthier.
When I did my last chem dye I noticed TONS of splits and I did countless protein treatments to build back up my hair's strength and I was oiling like a madwoman. I also ended up chopping off three inches 3 months later (partly to get rid of layers, partly to get rid of all that chem dye damage and split ends)
I do NOT regret avoiding chemical dye and in fact, today I mixed up some henna which I will apply either tomorrow or the next day :D
I love LHC because the support group for not just long hair but HEALTHY hair is amazing.
Thanks for posting. You're an inspiration!

Ryanne
December 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Congratulations! :flowers:

Rusalka
December 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment! I have been trying to quit for sometime now and have always went back after a few weeks. It's been 2.5 months now, makes me smile that it is possible to make it to a whole year. Thank you so much for sharing :)

Kalyca
December 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
congratulations! i know it can be hard not to color sometimes. i haven't for.. geez, i don't know. maybe a couple years now? but i do get the urge to color every now and then. i was thinking of henna too but.. i'm not ready for that yet

melikai
December 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Congratulations!
My undyed hair also has such better quality than the coloured bits. You've passed the frustrating stage of not colouring now, so congratulations on making it through that too!

angelakeats
December 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm proud of you!
Congrats!!!

I also want virgin hair back....

Sissy
December 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM
yay... congrats on your gain :cheese: keep on growin!

Mutinous
December 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Good for you :) I'm on about six months now, so I know how frustrating it can be! Well done on all your progress!

Yarn Muse
December 18th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Wow, thanks everyone, for the congrats and nice comments! :)

Yes, I think the first year is the hardest. For me, from about 6 to 12 months was the worst because my roots were getting so long. Before that, I still had people who thought I was a natural redhead. ;)

Now I am an official two-toned head, but it'll get there. If you let your virgin hair grow out enough to feel it, and feel the difference between it and the length, it gives you incentive to keep going.

That, and seeing all the photos of gorgeous heads of virgin or herbal-only-colored hair here on LHC!

Happy growing everybody!