PDA

View Full Version : Sore Scalp

ItalianFlower
December 18th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Does anyone else who wears their hair up all the time get a sore scalp? What relieves it? I have tried not putting my hair up but it seems like scalp is sore all the time, no matter if it is down or up...

Carolyn
December 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I get a sore scalp when my hair gets real dirty and oily. It's usually near the back of the crown where I have a cowlick. A washing with real shampoo and not just a CO will take care of it. I massage the area very well while I am washing. Then I switch my styles around for a day or two. HTH.

Anje
December 18th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I get both kinds. The shore or itchy dirty scalp thing is easily relieved by a washing and luckily it's a pretty rare thing for me. In general, I think my scalp likes bathing in its own gunk. It was definitely happiest when I did WO.

I also get the funny 'hair has been going an unnatural direction' sore follicles sort of ache, most often if I'm wearing my hair in an odd place, like a high visible-in-front bun, or in a weird direction, like the going-up side of a crown braid. It's the same sort of ache you get when you part your hair on the opposite side. However, comfortable lower updos (ear height or so) that are balanced and not secured with anything heavy like a Ficcare rarely give me these troubles. When they do, I generally switch to a low, loose braid.

embee
December 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I have found that if I leave my hair in one position for too long my hair follicles will ache. So I am careful to change my updo morning and night - and I'm a brusher, so there's a big change there too. Daytime I wear my hair in a fairly low bun or braid. Nighttime I have a top-of-the-head bun. I hardly ever get "hair aches" any more.

Keildra
December 18th, 2009, 08:03 PM
It depends on the way i'm wearing my hair, if my hair is unparted then yes it does get sore from wearing it too long that way, just start rotating the way you style your hair and your scalp will get used to it

julliams
December 19th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I get this. I used to think it was when my hair needed a wash but now I find it even happens on the day I've washed and I normally go for about 3 days without washing. I tell myself it's my hair growing - lol

Juliette

EvaSimone
December 19th, 2009, 05:07 AM
I get a sore scalp when my hair gets real dirty and oily. It's usually near the back of the crown where I have a cowlick. A washing with real shampoo and not just a CO will take care of it. I massage the area very well while I am washing. Then I switch my styles around for a day or two. HTH.

Same for me. Unfortunately my hair seems to feel that "real dirty and oily" is day two hair. I just wash every other day but sometimes I even get those stupid sore spots when it's been more than 24 hours.

girlcat36
December 20th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Sore scalp can be a sign of candida or fungal infection on the scalp, even if there are no flakes present.
This is the case with me. I rarely have scalp flaking, but often suffer from sore scalp(ponytail or not).
Try using an antifungal shampoo, an ACV rinse, and scalp massage with antifungal essential oils mixed in an antifungal carrier oil.

bumblebums
December 20th, 2009, 04:06 PM
My scalp gets sore when I wear my hair in a French braid or a bun that is clipped to my scalp rather than pinned with a hair stick. I think the key is that some of the hairs are pulled tight in an unnatural direction.

What helps is a scalp massage with rosemary or lavender EO, and then I put my hair in a loose braid.

Beets
December 20th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I do a little push-around-the-head midday to see if any spots are getting uncomfortable, to try and catch them before they get all the way to sore. I can re-do them, then, and usually avoid real pain.

How strange! I get the sore-when-dirty scalp, too. What in the world causes that?

The candida/fungal thing is interesting. Is it common? And it just rights itself after one normal wash?

girlcat36
December 20th, 2009, 06:04 PM
How strange! I get the sore-when-dirty scalp, too. What in the world causes that?

The candida/fungal thing is interesting. Is it common? And it just rights itself after one normal wash?

It is an ongoing problem for me, as I have systemic candida. I am always battling it, it takes more than just one shampoo.
There may be people who can get rid of it with a shampoo or two, I don't know. :confused:

Yozhik
December 20th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I'm glad to hear this seems to be a pretty common complaint -- I was wondering if I was the only one!
I usually get it if I keep my hair up in a high ponytail or bun for a long portion of the day.
Didn't know it also has to do with the cleanliness of the scalp!

bumblebums
December 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
On the dirty scalp/sore scalp connection: it could simply be that people notice it more because they put their hair up when it is dirty. If you always wear your hair up when it is oily, and only wear it up sometimes or rarely when it is clean, then of course you'll notice that it is sore more often when oily.

feralnature
December 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
My scalp became sore and then I realized that I needed a larger claw clip. My hair had become too heavy for the ones I had been using. I had graduated to a larger size claw clip. So now I have a larger one for my heavier hair and the pain went away.

Gypsy
December 21st, 2009, 11:36 PM
I get sore scalp when it's time to wash too. I also noticed the trichotillomania urge is stronger at that time, too.