PDA

View Full Version : My hair is so dry now

LittleOrca
December 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM
It has only been a few days (five if you count the fact it's after midnight and if you count the day of surgery) since my operation and my hair is suffering! I grabbed the generic Nioxin to help prevent hair loss during the shift in my nutritional levels and have washed with ti twice. The first time, my hair was so... yuck. It was dry and horrible.

The second time I used just that product on my scalp and conditioner soaked my hair from the ears down for a few minutes before rinsing it out. My hair felt alright for the first day, but now feels as bad as it did before hand: dry.

I cannot wash my hair as often as I would like to try and fix this, since my stitches are sealed with a super-glue like substance to keep them protected and too much water will make it come off. I can't wash my hair in the sink either since leaning forward too much causes me too much pain.

I am really trying to baby my hair and don't want to do too much to hurt it in this time of transition and I really want to prevent any loss that might happen. Any suggestions? Should I lather it in oil and leave it be? If so, what kind? Africa's best? Carrot Oil? JoJoba? Those are what I have, besides Olive and Coconut.

Charlotte
December 18th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Hi there LittleOrca,

Time flies doesn't it - already five days since your surgery! :)

Don't worry about your hair too much. It will be fine I'm sure. Just make sure that it's not getting knotty with some gentle (finger)combing and keep it braided - maybe treat the ends to some heavy oiling as well, and let it be. You've just had some pretty serious surgery you know! :o

A few more days, (they will go by fast) and you will be able to give it the care that you did prior to your operation. :flower:

Sending speedy recovery wishes your way. :)

Elainehali
December 18th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Try a mister bottle with some moisturizing aloe mixed in water.

:grouphug: I hope you have a speedy recovery!

brok3nwings
December 18th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Your hair will be fine! It wont be damaged if it stays dry for some days... but if you want to try something i would second the mister bottle! you can put in there what you usually know it works for your hair :) im glad to hear from you and to know that is all going well

angelakeats
December 18th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I third the mister bottle!
If all you have to worry about post surgery is your hair - then - High five sister! ;)
I'm glad you are doing so well.

LittleOrca
December 18th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I third the mister bottle!
If all you have to worry about post surgery is your hair - then - High five sister! ;)
I'm glad you are doing so well.

Well, I have to worry about a few other things, but it's my biggest worry. I don't want to have to chop and feel like I am getting no where, even though my goal will take me about 11 years to get to either way (100% virgin hair to the floor!)

Thanks for the advice though everyone, I think I have something I can mist into my hair. :)

melikai
December 18th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Maybe the Nioxin is too harsh for your hair? It sounds as if it's only aggravating any post-operative issues.
I'd try oiling it and putting it in a gentle bun for a couple of days, and then wash again using what you were using before.

Aditi
December 18th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Apply the lightest oil you have and apply it only on the ends and very little on the scalp maybe that will help with the dryness.

3azza
December 18th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I don't know about the oil thing but i can tell you this. I did a surgery a year ago, and my Dr. recommended drinking 2 Liters of fresh juice every day to speed up recovery. I did not notice anything wrong with my hair, and i think it's due to the good stuff i got from drinking all that juice inaddtion to keeping a healthy diet and taking my multi supplements. Maybe if you take all the nutrients you need, your hair would act just like it did before the surgery.

redneckprincess
December 18th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Little Orca, Im not sure what kind of surgery you had, but I hope you feel better soon, might I suggest a SMT (with the NIOXIN=amazing) might help with your dry hair. ☺

Madame J
December 18th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I like the idea of aloe and water in a mister bottle, maybe followed by a light oiling to keep the moisture in. It seems like the generic Nioxin is drying out your hair, but has the weather change there since your surgery? We had a bit of a cold snap this week, and all the heat has been running more often, so all of me is drying out (and then my scalp overproduces oil).

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

NurseMama
December 18th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Monistat can really help prevent the big shed that comes after surgery. There is a huge MN thread here if you would like to check it out. Congratulations BTW! I was exactly where you are a year ago and I am thrilled about my decision :).

Calista
December 18th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I do not believe that your dryness is caused by change in your nutritional levels. Those would affect the hair growing out of your head, and that isn´t a lot during such a short time.

I would also suggest the mister bottle, followed by a nice oil. The first would give you moisture, the second will seal it in.

K_Angel
December 18th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Little Orca it will be ok. I know it's hard right now, but it will be ok. One time when I didn't feel well for several weeks and couldn't really get out of bed, I sprayed my hair with water and then oiled it with jojoba oil (since it's the closest to our nature hair oils) and then braided it up. That way it didn't get tangled and was able to just be "greasy" until I could take care of it. (I don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd pass it along)

Also, I live about 2 hours South of you and I'm sure the very very cold dry weather we were having didn't help any. I know my hair was freaking out. I mean come on, we live in the Pacific Northwest, who ever heard of so much dryness! :rollin: I'm so glad it's back to raining again.

Who knows, we might even have snow for Christmas! :)

Anyway, hang in there. Like lots of thing in life, "this too shall pass." I hope you heal quickly. :)

Also, since I do live only 2 hours away... if you don't have anyone up there that can help you... I would come up and help you with your hair, if there was something you really needed. I wouldn't want you to be alone and have no help! :blossom:

embee
December 18th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I am glad you are through the surgery and well enough to post. :)

At this point I'd suggest combing and then putting it up, either a braid (which will get very fuzzy) or a top of head bun. Then practice Benign Neglect as far as the washing thing goes. Wait until the superglue comes off by itself before you do any serious long bathing washing hair stuff.

Mister bottle will be helpful, or, if you simply cannot stand it any longer, WO will do. I was *astonished* at how well WO worked for me, not grand enough to stay there, but it was ok. I would never have dreamed that WO was "for real"! :)

Be well, LittleOrca! Heal quickly. Put away the scissors. No chopping. No trimming. This is not the time.

NiAosSi
December 18th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Mister bottle for sure. Add some condish, aloe, and water. Then just put some olive oil on the ends and put it in in a bun and forget it. That's what I did when my hair was dry from lack of care after I gave birth. I was able to wash my hair 2 weeks ago after 4 weeks of not washing it. Trust me, it worked for me.

Arctic
December 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
If your roots get too greasy and/or itchy, dry shampoo probably could help.

jivete
December 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I don't have any advice to offer other that what's been said, a mister, some oil and put it up. I'm glad you are recovering from your surgery. A dancer friend of mine had it a few years ago and I didn't notice any ill effect to her hair. If you watch your nutrition you should be fine. :blossom:

Anje
December 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I'm thinking that maybe your hair doesn't like the Nioxin.

What I'd do is probably spray the hair with water and just slather it in whatever oil your hair likes best. Olive, coconut, Africa's best, whatever. (Mine likes sesame, incidentally, and it's available at the grocery store.) Hopefully it'll soak it up. I imagine you may have to increase your oiling a bit in the coming months to keep your hair from drying out, as I'm not sure how your sebum production will keep up with your diet.

You could also SMT the length, though I think I'd go to a normal cone-free conditioner (I seem to recall that you usually use cones) simply to avoid buildup if you have to do it a few times before you can shower properly.

marikamt
December 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I am not sure if you are home or not, But I work in a post-op rehab center and it is DRY in there from the heat. Just one shift and I can feel it in my skin and lips...... so I am thinking that might be what is causing your issue.

I agree with the advice of everyone else, moisturize the you-know-what out of it and put it up......

JamieLeigh
December 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I honestly don't know what other advice to offer than what's already been given, it sounds good - especially the mister bottle. I would also consider just oiling it and braiding it, and just forgetting about it until I had a good chance to wash it the way I wanted. Right now, the important thing is that you rest and recover, so do that first!! Your hair will bounce back once you get your regular routine back. :grouphug: :flower:

spidermom
December 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM
If it were me, I'd oil it up with coconut oil and keep it braided.

piratejenny23
December 18th, 2009, 11:20 AM
hi--i am wishing you a speedy recovery! :)

what i do sometimes is make 2 ponytails in front (Dorothy in Oz style) and dip them in warm water in a plastic container/pitcher of some sort, condition & rinse in same containers. or even put the ponytails in sandwich bags for an hour or 2 for deep condition. if you can sit up you probably do this with no leaning forward or getting your scalp wet. i can just do the last few inches or the length almost up to my ears.

it may drive you crazy to have your scalp getting dirty but that part of your hair probably won't suffer as much damage/dryness as your length.

i have torn cartilage in my knee and i am frequently laid up for a few days, so i bought a bottle of this shampoo http://www.amazon.com/No-Rinse-00200-Shampoo-16/dp/B00008KA7P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1261160286&sr=8-1 at my pharmacy for about $7. it's not a dry shampoo, but you don't need to wet your hair OR rinse it out.

LittleOrca
December 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
....I mean come on, we live in the Pacific Northwest, who ever heard of so much dryness! :rollin: ...

I know! That thought crossed my mind as well. And two hours away puts you in the Corvallis-Albany area? My aunt lives near Eugene. :)

Be well, LittleOrca! Heal quickly. Put away the scissors. No chopping. No trimming. This is not the time.

No scissors will touch my head during this time. It would be a cut out of frustration and one I'd regret for sure!

I figured the Nioxin might be a little off on my hair, but I keep using it just to be safe rather than sorry. My healthy is number one in this experience, but my hair is definitely a close second! Thanks for your input everyone. :)

rogue_psyche
December 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm glad that the sugery looks too be a success. About the dryness, I would just marry my leave-ins until I could safely wash again. If you end up looking a little greasy only a few people will know since you're resting. And don't worry about your hair! It will look lovely again as soon as YOU feel well, I'm sure. :)

teela1978
December 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM
just a thought... what about going to a salon just for a moisture treatment? Leaning back in a salon chair and letting someone else baby your hair could be very nice... and you could get a pedicure too :)

Of course, finding long-hair friendly salons is a difficulty I suppose...

Sissy
December 18th, 2009, 06:06 PM
just wanted to give some wishes for a speedy recovery :grouphug:

I think the ides of moisturizing mister and then sealing it in with an oil is excellent. Perhaps some shea butter as well if that works for you.

Sissy

Lamb
December 18th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Others may have mentioned this already, but the mere stress you went through may have caused this dryness. I know when I am stressed out my hair goes limp and dry. Heck, PMS will do that to me, I can't imagine what havoc a surgery would cause! :shocked:

Get plenty of rest, don't worry, and try to calm your fears. You've been very brave, and now deserve to relax a bit. That will bring your hair back into pristine condition in no time! :flowers:

YoginiCelestial
December 18th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Little Orca,
just sending a little note to help wish you a full and speedy recovery from your surgery, and also hoping that you will find a remedy for your hair dryness. I am not that experienced in hair remedies yet or I'd gladly offer my recommendation, however it appears that you have received some wonderful suggestions! :blossom:

jel
December 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Another wish for a speedy recovery, Little Orca! :flowers:

Regarding the dryness, I would braid my hair (one or two braids, whatever's easier/more convenient for you), then regularly (daily) dampen it, smooth down some (diluted) moisturising conditioner and seal with a little oil.

However, even if you don't have the energy to do that in this period of time, while you're still weak from the surgery, I'm sure that a few SMTs when you do get more strength will sort things out!