PDA

View Full Version : Searching for my own routine

Narya
December 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Okay, I wanted some advice from you, as I'm new in this long-hair caring journey.

I decided to start following the advice of trying, first, to do CSC (conditioner - shampoo on the scalp - conditioner), mostly because my shampoo was prescribed by a doctor (eccema and itchy scalp, much better now) and I think it really works for what it has to.

The real question is: should I use a clarifying shampoo first and start from "0" or do you think it will interfere with my prescribed shampoo efectiveness?

If you think I should clarify, then some more questions arise (yeah, just to show I'm new at this, lol): using any other shampoo would do the trick (I don't know where I read this, but what I don't really know is what to think about it: sounds strange, but feasible... dunno)? If not, do you know of some clarifying shampoos easily available in Spain (I know there're some spanish members... please help me on this one! I don't recognize any of the 'poos names I've found!)?

And I think that's all for now, but any other advice you think may suit me will be also welcome!

coscass
December 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Okay, I wanted some advice from you, as I'm new in this long-hair caring journey.

I decided to start following the advice of trying, first, to do CSC (conditioner - shampoo on the scalp - conditioner), mostly because my shampoo was prescribed by a doctor (eccema and itchy scalp, much better now) and I think it really works for what it has to.

The real question is: should I use a clarifying shampoo first and start from "0" or do you think it will interfere with my prescribed shampoo efectiveness?

If you think I should clarify, then some more questions arise (yeah, just to show I'm new at this, lol): using any other shampoo would do the trick (I don't know where I read this, but what I don't really know is what to think about it: sounds strange, but feasible... dunno)? If not, do you know of some clarifying shampoos easily available in Spain (I know there're some spanish members... please help me on this one! I don't recognize any of the 'poos names I've found!)?

And I think that's all for now, but any other advice you think may suit me will be also welcome!

One shampoo gets rid of buildup by another one. That's why so many people have at least 2 shampoos they can cycle through every other week. That's what we were taught in beauty school.

And I'm not 100% sure, maybe someone else can answer that for you, as I'm relatively new, as well. Good luck, though!

florenonite
December 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I would use a clarifying shampoo; it's always a good idea before starting a new routine.

Any shampoo that contains sulphates, preferably SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) will do; it doesn't have to be one designed for clarifying. Your previous shampoo likely contains sulphates, so as long as it doesn't contain 'cones (anything ending in 'cone or 'xonal), just shampoo with it and then next wash use your eczema shampoo.

Madame J
December 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
A caveat: for some people with eczema, SLS can sometimes be aggravating. If your medicated shampoo and the conditioner you use don't have any 'cones in them, you might not need to clarify, and it might be worth breaking the hair rules this time to avoid a scalp reaction.

Is your hair behaving well with this routine?

Narya
December 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for your answers!

I think my conditioner has cones, and when I have had to use a different shampoo than the eczema one just for once I haven't noticed any aggravation (it may be because I didn't pay attention). I think I'll try to clarify first, pay attention this time and take notes if anything happens, and then stick to the medicated shampoo. That is, if I can find a shampoo without cones home (I'm quite sure my last one did...)

As I've said, thank you!

florenonite
December 18th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Your eczema shampoo might remove the 'cones, but if it doesn't and you get build-up you could try and shampoo with a clarifying shampoo from the ears down (where you put conditioner) and use your regular shampoo on your scalp?

HKay
December 18th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I clarify by adding a bit of baking soda to my mild shampoo. Works like a charm and gets rid of everything! Put a small amount of shampoo in your hand and just sprinkle some baking soda on top. You'll also notice it'll lather much more than usual.

Have you tried not using shampoo, as in CO perhaps? My BF had serious scalp problems (red irritated and whitish skin peeling, gross I know). After a couple of doctors and no results. he stopped using shampoo and it cleared up.

alys
December 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM
What about a tea-tree oil based shampoo or conditioner, or even some carrier oil like almond or grapeseed with a few drops if tea-tree oil as a scalp massage before shampooing? My BF has scalp issues, I don't know that it's Excema, but his scalp in constantly flaking and peeling. Anytime you rub his head skin flakes off. Cutting SLS out of his shampoo and using a scalp oil of grapeseed and tea tree has really helped. If you suffer from scalp issues I would try and cut out SLS for a few weeks and see what happens. Healing the scalp seems like it should be the 1st step of you finding your routine?? Good luck anyhow!!

Narya
December 19th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks for your answers!

No SLS on my shampoo for my, so that isn't an issue with the one they prescribed me. Also, it has no cones it (or so it seems to me after reading the ingredients and comparing them to the list I found here), so I'll probably use it every once in a while to clarify the rest of my hair (I mean, not the scalp portion). I haven't found any shampoo home without cones, and my budget is sooo low right now, so this will have to do.

Also, I must say that this shampoo is really doing wonders for my scalp: no more itchyness, no massive shedding from the affected area, no more excessively greasy roots, no dandruff at all... so I'm not tempted to leave it out from my routine, at least not now (exams, stress).
I may be lucky, because I know some people with similar problems that have found no solution (I may recommend them your ideas), or it may just be that I didn't believe it would work and then it had to, just to prove me wrong.

Anyway, thank you! I'll put all of your ideas in my list to try if the current shampoo stops working.