PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Hair Straightening

Shanarana
December 17th, 2009, 09:05 AM
What do you all think of this method?

http://ezinearticles.com/?Brazilian-Hair-Straightening-Treatment&id=685031

spidermom
December 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Sign me up (not really). I'd love to see before/after photographs.

Xandergrammy
December 17th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I honestly know nothing about this method, but just from reading the article, it sounds damaging, smelly and expensive. Maybe someone else will have more info or first hand knowledge.

Xandergrammy
December 17th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Sign me up (not really). I'd love to see before/after photographs.

If you go to the article that the OP posted, then click on the "brazilian hair treatment" link in THAT article, it takes you to some before and after pictures.

ETA: And spidermom, don't you dare do this. I fear it would ruin your gorgeous hair.

Sara Smile
December 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I know nothing about, but it sounds difficult. The list of don'ts: Do not wash it for four days, do not put it in a pony tail or hair clip, do not put it behind your ears, cover it with a scarf. For four days? That sounds really hard.

Copasetic
December 17th, 2009, 09:14 AM
It doesn't interest me personally, but to each their own.

GlassEyes
December 17th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I've seen pictures and heard reviews of it, both positive and negative.

The major negative for most is the smell, I think, and what it comes from--the method uses formaldehyde, which is a concern for some, and not the best smellin thing in the world.

I imagine it isn't damage free, but I've heard many positive things about after the four months or so is up---apparently the hair returns to it's former shape, give or take. if you're willing to submit to a trim after, it's probably less damaging than using a straightener constantly, or even sparingly. :shrug:

Though, granted, regrowth, depending on how curly the hair is, would probably need to be straightened. Wavy-haired people may not have to worry, if they have enough straightened hair to weigh down the new growth--but curlies would likely have to straighten their roots, or blow dry them at least.

...I admit, it does hold some appeal for me.

pilateschick7
December 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I have seen some rather traumatic looking you tube videos of the Brazillian Hair Straightening process.

GlassEyes I would really miss your cool curl filled bun in your siggy pic. I love your curls.:)

danacc
December 17th, 2009, 09:36 AM
For more opinions, there was a previous thread on it here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11340.

Also see: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=724255#post724255 and subsequent posts in the thread about the Brazilian hair treatment.

GoddesJourney
December 17th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Sounds gimmicky to me. Anyway, I saw most of the girls in Rio de Janeiro with straight hair (at least the wealthy ones), but it seemed they use the Japanese method, flat irons, and lots and lots of hair silicone. The hair silicone is WAY thicker than the serums we have in the US. Anyway, it looks great on some people but it requires a lot of maintenance.

Xandergrammy
December 17th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I've seen pictures and heard reviews of it, both positive and negative.

The major negative for most is the smell, I think, and what it comes from--the method uses formaldehyde, which is a concern for some, and not the best smellin thing in the world.

I imagine it isn't damage free, but I've heard many positive things about after the four months or so is up---apparently the hair returns to it's former shape, give or take. if you're willing to submit to a trim after, it's probably less damaging than using a straightener constantly, or even sparingly. :shrug:

Though, granted, regrowth, depending on how curly the hair is, would probably need to be straightened. Wavy-haired people may not have to worry, if they have enough straightened hair to weigh down the new growth--but curlies would likely have to straighten their roots, or blow dry them at least.

...I admit, it does hold some appeal for me.

Ewwww.... this sounds very nasty. I want MORE curls, anyway, so this holds absolutely no appeal for me. Glasseyes, it would be a crying shame to submit your beautiful curls to the formaldehyde torture. :sad

Runzel
December 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM
These three things cause me concern (quoting from article linked):

Works better over colored or chemically treated hair.
Pregnant or nursing women cannot get this treatment done.
Will remain in virgin hair for 2 months, any other type of hair for 3-4 months.

So basically, it's perfectly natural and harmless and blah blah blah but keep away from pregnant and nursing mothers! :mad: That, and it works best on hair that's been good and damaged. How hair-friendly can a product be when it prefers chemically treated hair to virgin hair?

coscass
December 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM
When I was still in beauty school, a girl came in who had had either that, or the japanese hair straightening thing-- her hair had broken off in huge clumps. She had the prettiest strawberry blond hair I've ever seen. I felt so bad for her. We had to do an updo on her for prom, and luckily her hair was long enough to be able to hide the huge 1 inch tufts of hair sticking out on top of her head.

Islandgrrl
December 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Taken from an article on the Brazilian Hair Straightening Method:

Eyes may burn and throats ache when the solution is applied or heated. Some stylists find they need to wear a mask for comfort and protection.

The long-term effects of breathing in toxins are not known nor are the long-term effects of repeated treatments to hair. Despite what manufacturers claim this is a chemical product being applied to the hair and scalp.

:bigeyes:

Spike
December 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hmmm . . . sounds like perming in reverse (to go from curly to straight via a chemical method).

Other than damaging one's hair, I'd wonder about the 4 month virgin root growth. Wouldn't that look just as funky/awful as the straight root growth on a permed head? Not all of the goo is going to come out at the exact same rate, due to variations in porosity.

And yeah, count me among the "wish I were curlier" crowd. Not going for it.

Gvnagitlvgei
December 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
It's honestly a wonderful treatment and there are products with aldehydes rather than formaldehydes (less intense). I like it. Some of them are wash and wear the very first day so you don't always have to wait. And even still, 2-4 days wait, no problem for those of us with major curly hair who want manageability. It's also great for conditioning hair. You won't believe the conditioning and very little product is needed to maintain your style...like nothing. I'll try and upload my pics and you can see between my avatar and pics in my album.