PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Shorten a Metal Fork?

Ramona_Fosca
December 17th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I realized several of my Quattro hairforks are actually a little too long for my liking.

I am pertty sure he'd shorten them for me but I'd like to avoid sending it around the world...

Can I do this myself? I am pretty sure I can shorten it, but will I be able to sand it down again?

Nightshade
December 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Do you have a Dremel/rotary tool? I would imagine you can cut them shorter with a cutoff wheel, and then use a few grades of smoothing stones (also for a rotary tool) to smooth and round the tips again :)

sapphire-o
December 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Are they aluminum or steel? Aluminum shouldn't be bad but steel you'd need special tools. I'd put them on the swap board and trade for some shorter ones. :) Maybe other people have outgrown theirs.

pilateschick7
December 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Could you take the metal fork to a local vocational school and ask them to shorten it? In the Southern US we still have Vocational schools.
This option also does not involve the potential for accidental digit damage that usually befalls my fix it myself ideas. I am very accident prone:)

SHELIAANN1969
December 18th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I have been pondering how to smooth the edge of a silver fork I have.

I have a Pat Areias silver fork and when it arrived, it was rough on the edge of one tine, I tried using an emery board (the paper kind) but it didn't do the job, I bought it for 60$ plus shipping on ebay and now wish I would have just gotten it from the source for an extra 20$.

I was completely disgusted at the tine, but what can you do?

I need to smooth it, it RIPS through my hair trying to insert it.

I don't really have tools, do y'all think sandpaper would do the trick?

pilateschick7
December 18th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I will call my husband and ask him about the sandpaper.
Could you put a substantial amount of clear nail polish on it?

tamif27
December 18th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Sandpaper should work. When purchasing the sandpaper, look on the label and note whether the paper is good for metal, which is what you want

After cutting the fork a bit longer than the length of interest either with a hacksaw or a cutting wheel or wire ***** for that matter...

Start with something really aggressive like 60 or 80 grit. Get the basic shape with that. Then move to a finer grit, something like 120, polish out the worst scratches. Then for a fine finish move to something even finer grit like 500 or even in the 1000 grit range which will make a nice polish.

Or Dremel it, but you'll still have to polish out the roughness either with various grit bits or with sandpaper.

SHELIAANN1969
December 18th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I will call my husband and ask him about the sandpaper.
Could you put a substantial amount of clear nail polish on it?

It looks like someone did something to chip/snap/break the end/tip of the one tine off and it was straight across and ragged, in the pic of the item, the seller held her finger OVER the broken part, so that you couldn't see it and it is obviouslly shorter than the other tine, nail polish will not do it, I need to smooth it, the nail file did work to a point, but I need a finer grit of sandpaper I think, and with time and patience, the fork should be ok.

I was so excited about that darn fork! grrrrrrr, shady ebayers!

I will get the different grits as noted above and see if that does the job.

Redheaded Raven
December 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
It looks like someone did something to chip/snap/break the end/tip of the one tine off and it was straight across and ragged, in the pic of the item, the seller held her finger OVER the broken part, so that you couldn't see it and it is obviouslly shorter than the other tine, nail polish will not do it, I need to smooth it, the nail file did work to a point, but I need a finer grit of sandpaper I think, and with time and patience, the fork should be ok.

I was so excited about that darn fork! grrrrrrr, shady ebayers!

I will get the different grits as noted above and see if that does the job.

The next best thing to having a Dremel to use is a metal diamond file, like the one that you use on nails. And then use steelwool. Getting finer and finer grade. It works best on the metal. You can use sandpaper that is for metal, but I like the steelwool and a file the best. It works for doing the ends of all of the chainmail that I have made in the past.... I used to file them, until I got a tumbler. :o And a Dremel.

SHELIAANN1969
December 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM
The next best thing to having a Dremel to use is a metal diamond file, like the one that you use on nails. And then use steelwool. Getting finer and finer grade. It works best on the metal. You can use sandpaper that is for metal, but I like the steelwool and a file the best. It works for doing the ends of all of the chainmail that I have made in the past.... I used to file them, until I got a tumbler. :o And a Dremel.

Thank you! :flower:

Redheaded Raven
December 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Thank you! :flower:
You welcome, I am glad some of my blisters from metal work are doing someone else some good. :D One day I made 500 chainmail rings by hand and I couldn't make a fist for two weeks. :rolleyes: I have learned alot since then.

Cherry_Sprinkle
December 19th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I'd put them on the swap board and trade for some shorter ones. :) Maybe other people have outgrown theirs.

I'd second this. I have a few Quattro's and I don't think I'd be willing to cut and file them, the finish on them is beautiful, I'd opt for swapping/selling them.

jasper
December 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I can't help shuddering at the idea of using sandpaper on metal. And I hope anyone using a dremel cutting wheel had a good pair of safety glasses on. I'd opt for a metal file.

kwaniesiam
December 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Can you just wait until you grow in to it? I'd be wary of messing with metal, especially if it might ruin the finish. You could always swap like its already been suggested.

Ramona_Fosca
December 20th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Thank you so much everybody for your ideas!!

No, unfortunately I don't own a dremel. I looked them up and they are way too expensive for one-time use...

I was hoping everybody would say something like: absolutely, you only need sanding paper and you're good to go, I've done that hundreds of times. Apparently, it's a little more complicated than that. I am not much of a craftswoman, so I think I am going to stay away from that...

As for selling/ swapping: I love these forks, I really do, and I won't part with them:o.

I think I'll either send them back to Ron asking him to shorten them or be patient and try to grow into them...

Thanky again!!