PDA

View Full Version : Dry=damage hair??

Jennie80
December 17th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hi everyone.
I wonder how you can tell if your hair is so damaged so you have to cut much off?..My hair is dry like about 10cm but no split ends or any other damage that I can see.
I use coconut oil and it works great but it doesn`t stay soft and ( can`t find the word) moister???? Any way. Is there any one out there who has bleach hair and is growing/ has grew out virgin hair without cutting all of the bleach of??

I hope you can understand what I wondering. Sometimes I can`t find the right word in English..

Have a nice day. Here itīs cold and a litte snow. I hate snow!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Heidi_234
December 17th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I know my dry ends are damaged because, well they do split, but also they tangle, snag and generally act like velcro. BTW, these 'symptoms' can also be a result of product build up, so before running to the scissors try to clarify first.

Obviously your bleached ends are more porous and tend to lose moisture faster. I suppose you'd have to use heavier conditioner on them, or leave conditioner in after wash, or maybe try shea butter on the ends (for me it's like heavy coconut oil, very moisturizing but easy to overdo. I like applying it on the ends before bed and wake up with soft ends in the morning).

It's not impossible to grow our bleached length without cutting it, but you need to baby it more than the rest, and watch out when the damage takes over.

Happy growing :flower:

Isadora Lewie
December 17th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Leaving conditioner in the ends after washing and Conditioner Only Washing on a daily basis helps keep the moisture in the peroxided parts of my hair.

And coconut oil before washing to protect from protein loss. Although, I'm finding the weather too cold for coconut oil leave-in in the daytime - so instead I'm using jojoba oil and aloe vera gel in the ends as an additional leave in.

It seems to have made a big difference for me.

Good luck!

Angharad
December 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I have naturally dry hair but my ends are even more dry because of bad hairtreatment from the past (bleaching mostly) so I notice a difference between the naturally dry hair and the tortured ends. The bleaching has altered my hairstructure; it is much less curly at the ends.

You can do two things in my opinion: either cut the damaged part out or pamper it every day with things like sheabutter (especially in winter), condition your damaged hair before you go to sleep and rinse it out every morning and cut it out little by little every two/three months.

Madame J
December 17th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Nightshade had some pretty damaged ends from growing out old chemical dye, and she's recently trimmed off the last of the damage. She wrote an article about taking care of damaged ends so you don't have to cut them all off at once. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79)is the link.

Gypsygirl
December 17th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Hi everyone.
I wonder how you can tell if your hair is so damaged so you have to cut much off?..

Angharad gave you great advice! :) And...it depends on how much of a perfectionist you are! Basically, I think you should cut when you are not happy with the way it looks or feels. You- not anyone else!

Crysta
December 17th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Generic damage = split ends + white spots

you do not HAVE to cut off your damaged hair. (split ends will split further though so if you don't want to lose length do some S&D) If you want to get your length first, grow to you goal (or halfway there) and then start doing some real trims at that length, this way you wont lose the length you want, and eventualy you'll lose the damage that you don't want.

Alternativley, if your damage is bad, or you don't want to risk it, I would trim now (but at the same length - not all of it off) until the damage is gone and then start growing.

^ of course that's what I'd do. No-one can say that you should cut or not cut anything off except you.

Angharad
December 17th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Thanx, auntie :hifive: Gypsygirl :) !

Jennie80
December 17th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Thank you all for your answers. I will baby them and take care of them and going on with mine micro trims and we will se what happens..
Have a nice day..