PDA

View Full Version : For those who use honey for moisturizing..

brok3nwings
December 17th, 2009, 03:18 AM
how do you do it?
Do you heat your honey with your conditioner as if it was a SMT without aloe vera gel?
How much do you use of honey and conditioner?
Do you have to use shampoo afterwoods?

i have honey at home but dont have any aloe vera to do the SMT and i was willing to do some treatment today as i havent done in some time... so any help would be apreciatted.

Thank you

melikai
December 17th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I always do my SMTs without aloe gel, because it doesn't work well for my hair.

I heat up a generous amount of conditioner (this is the biggest ingredient, so probably 4 tablespoons worth), an overflowing tablespoon of honey, and a tablespoon or so of oil(s). These are my very approximate ratios, so if you need more to really coat your hair, you can add more.

I rinse very well, then shampoo and condition as normal, after leaving on for an hour or more. Be very careful to not move or rub your hair while the treatment is sitting, as as it dries it gets very stiff and sticky.
You may have some trial and error with this, if your hair is very different from mine.

HTH!

Melisande
December 17th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I make a honey rinse towards the end of my washing procdure. I add honey and a tiny bit of citric acid to my conditioner, mix it all in warm water and let it run over my head. Then I wait a bit until I rinse it out. It makes my hair very soft and especially shiney. No color changes at all.

I also add honey to my henna.

halo_tightens
December 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I've used it plain in place of conditioner, and it rinsed out completely. I've mixed it with regular conditioner, which is also great. I've never had a problem with getting it rinsed out.

It seems like as soon as it mixes with water, it becomes slippery rather than sticky. It practically glides out upon rinsing. No residue. :)

melikai
December 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I make a honey rinse towards the end of my washing procdure. I add honey and a tiny bit of citric acid to my conditioner, mix it all in warm water and let it run over my head. Then I wait a bit until I rinse it out. It makes my hair very soft and especially shiney. No color changes at all.

I also add honey to my henna.

I like this idea of adding it along with citric acid. I'll have to try that, thanks!

brok3nwings
December 18th, 2009, 03:05 AM
i´ve tried it and i think i liked it! But i think i shampooed to much after.. have to try the otherway around... shampoo first and the treatment after!
Why citric acid may i ask?

hmmm
December 18th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I've used honey mixed with egg yolk as a conditioner, it made my hair very soft. I also use it in my henna mix sometimes. I did one lightening treatment with it, but it was too drippy and didn't make much noticeable difference, so I think I'll use it plain from now on.

Fethenwen
December 18th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I think I need to use some honey soon, my hair is so static it's crazy! Guess moisture would be the only thing that could save it from that right now.

fleurdelis
December 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I put it every night into my conditioner, about half conditioner/half honey. I works very well for me, but I think there is a subtle colour change, which I like thought.

Melisande
December 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I add citric acid because we have very hard water. Citric acid helps smoothe the cuticles, I think, and for me, this combination works best. I'm sure it would work also without it! (And of course, too much citric acid or lemon juice are not good, because they are drying - but everything is just a matter of dosage.)