PDA

View Full Version : Cassia/Henna or Henna Gloss?

Yarn Muse
December 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Hi! I have used cassia/henna since about March to blend my grays--I don't have a lot, mainly around my hairline and on top--with my dark ash blonde hair. I like the effect, but have run out of cassia.

The first time I tried this, I used only cassia for about 3 or 4 hours. I used lemon juice and dye released it overnight, and was getting a light stain on my skin so I know it was ready, but it did *nothing* to my gray hairs. When I added some henna next time I did it, my grays turned golden.

So I'm wondering if it is just the small amt. of henna I'm using that is causing the golden color? If so, I could use only henna, which I do have on hand? Would a gloss accomplish the same thing?

Opinions?

brok3nwings
December 17th, 2009, 03:29 AM
hy there :)
i dont have ANY experience in henna as i havent done it myself.. but for what i understand from reading the forums is that when you used cassia and henna (and i believe you put a lot more cassia than henna) you were doing a treatment and left it for hours in your hair right? i think that what cassia does to henna is to dilute its intensity.. if i wanted henna i would do that cause i like strawberry blonde.

So.. by logic (but it can be a wrong one) when you do a gloss you are also diluting your henna in your conditioner... besides a gloss goes around 30 min only. i think you would be ok with this and have the same golden results.. but if i were in your position i would use a really small amout of henna and leave it only for 15 min or so at first..and do another if it wasnt enough.

I hope someone with more information could help you with this one..

Gothic Lolita
December 17th, 2009, 06:49 AM
The reason why cassia alone didn't do anything beside conditioning to your hair is that the dye is so light it can only be seen on really blonde/white hair.
But Brok3enwings is right, cassia does dilute the intensity of henna. While henna only dyes red, you can achieve different shades by mixing different amounts of cassia with it. That way you can achieve anything from golden blonde oder copper penny red to burgundy.

GlassEyes
December 17th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Gothic Lolita--she's using cassia on gray hair, so logic would follow that that it could stain it.

I'd get more cassia instead of doing a henna gloss--unless you wouldn't mind the risk of getting ginger-colored hair from it.

Stephichan
December 17th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I'm with Glass Eyes, getting more cassia might be the better way to go. However, if you don't want to wait that long, strand test. Know what you're getting yourself into, because it's easy to go too strong.

Gothic Lolita
December 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Stupid me, forogt about the part tat it was used on gray hair :D

Yes, you should get more cassia. And maybe collect hair for strand testing. I've found that glosses rinse out quite quickly so just cassia (or with a teeny bit of henna) might be a better option.

Yarn Muse
December 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the advice and opinions, everyone! Yes, I know that cassia can color white/gray or light blonde hair, which was why I was hoping it would color my grays a golden color. I know some people have to leave it on a very long time--even overnight--for the dye to uptake from cassia alone.

If I decide to do a henna gloss, I will definitely strand test first. Someday I may go henna red, (I did chemical red last year and loved it till it faded) but right now I'm liking my mostly natural color with a few golden threads running through it.