PDA

View Full Version : Ideas, please?

loves2spin
April 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM
My youngest son is getting married in June. At the reception, I'll be wearing a long black shift - style dress with a front fringed drapey thing.... (clear as mud, right?), and some elegant looking sandals. I need to wear my hair up. The problem is, that I am growing out my fringe and although now I can keep it back with just a bobby pin on each side, that's not very dressy, but I don't want to look like a little kid with a fancy barrette on each side either. I am thinking some sort of pretty combs. I wish my hair were long enough to do a figure 8 bun with 1 hair stick, but it falls out right away and a cinnamon bun is so plain. Sigh....... Oh, and I am rather hairdo challenged, so I can't do anything elaborate. Please, please, give me some ideas, dear friends!

eadwine
April 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
How about that cheaters figure 8 that I posted a while ago.. now where is it..

ah pfrt.. here is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E3_m1yWsCg) :)

Riot Crrl
April 25th, 2008, 03:42 PM
If you wore the updo higher on your crown of your head (I understand folks not wanting to do this all the time as making hair change directions can be tangly, but it's one day) could the fringe stay in? What about if you put a little aloe, oil or both in the hair first?

Mary <><
April 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Honestly, Chinese buns are sooo easy to do & I was able to pull my first one off with only 20" hair! You can really shnazz it up with one or two great hair sticks. Here is a tutorial link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=15

As for the fringe, Why not curl them with pin curls and let them hang down in curly pieces? Just a thought, but I think it will look great like that. HTH, and post pics!

LeaM07
April 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Your ends look pretty curly in your avatar pic... how about a knot bun?

Tie your hair in a knot (just leave the ends free), fold it up against that back of your head (so the ends are aimed straight up), and secure it with a fancy hairstick or two, leaving the ends to fall loosely around. Maybe tie back your fringe with a low-key barrette or two that matches your hair so it's not too noticeable. You could rag curl or roll the ends if you needed it to get more curl (and it might floof enough to cover the barrettes if they're back far enough).

Curl a few of the fringe pieces like Mary suggests and let them fall in the front to kind of frame your face and soften the look.

Good luck! :flowers:

loves2spin
April 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Thank you all so much for your ideas. I will have to play around with them and see what I can come up with. If I manage to do something suitable, I'll put up pics. One thing is, my hair is curly sort of on the ends in Indiana, but this wedding with be in southern CA and it will be hot and dry. :( So my nice curvies will disappear. Thank you again. You gals are wonderful! :)

angelthadiva
April 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Have you tried anchoring your Figure 8 w/an elastic first?

What I mean by that is; pull your hair back into a ponytail FIRST then do the figure 8.

I have to do this w/pretty much any bun style, or my baby hairs on the sides will just tumble out.

You have some time to practice! :)

Druid of Alba
April 25th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hello there!

I have a few ideas for you. If you want to keep the fringe out of the way, you could consider using a fancy headband that matches your outfit (in this case, black) to keep the fringe back, and then have some type of bun at the back. If that is too blunt for you, you could try tucking the fringe into a twist or braid, and have the braid twist in some elegant pattern back into the bun.

Alternatively, you could try wearing the fringe down. You could try combing it to the side and curling it, which would look really nice.

Try around and see what looks best for you. Good luck with finding the right style!

loves2spin
April 25th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Have you tried anchoring your Figure 8 w/an elastic first?

What I mean by that is; pull your hair back into a ponytail FIRST then do the figure 8.

I have to do this w/pretty much any bun style, or my baby hairs on the sides will just tumble out.

You have some time to practice! :)

I have never tried that, but I surely will! I love the look of the figure 8 bun, and can't wait until my hair is long enough! But I'll try your suggestion. Thank you! :)

loves2spin
April 25th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Hello there!

I have a few ideas for you. If you want to keep the fringe out of the way, you could consider using a fancy headband that matches your outfit (in this case, black) to keep the fringe back, and then have some type of bun at the back. If that is too blunt for you, you could try tucking the fringe into a twist or braid, and have the braid twist in some elegant pattern back into the bun.

Alternatively, you could try wearing the fringe down. You could try combing it to the side and curling it, which would look really nice.

Try around and see what looks best for you. Good luck with finding the right style!

I really like the idea of a matching and pretty head band, or maybe even some sort of wrappy scarf thing... Hmmm. Good idea. Thank you! :)

loves2spin
April 26th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Well, here is what I've come up with. It is a sort of French twist with a little bun at the top. First I gathered back my fringe into a barrette (I want a prettier one for the occasion) pushing to toward the front a little bit, and then made the twist, securing with Amish hair pins and did the little bun on top. What do you think? I was thinking it might look nice with some sort of flower stuck at the side of the twist. Input? Be brutally honest, please!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/loves2spin/100_4431.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/loves2spin/100_4432.jpg

Elenna
April 26th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I was going to say French Twist. It's elegant and my current favorite too.

GlassEyes
April 26th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I hate to be rude, but since this is your son's wedding, I just want to say that I don't like the 'do for it's purpose. If I saw it anywhere else, it'd be fine, it just looks a little slovenly for a wedding.

^_^;; I'm sorry for being rude, but you did ask us to be honest. I'd try working on the figure 8 bun to be truthful.

frizzinator
April 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM
You mentioned a cinnamon bun ...a flipped cinnamon bun is easy and elegant ....here is mine

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/41508058.jpg

loves2spin
April 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I hate to be rude, but since this is your son's wedding, I just want to say that I don't like the 'do for it's purpose. If I saw it anywhere else, it'd be fine, it just looks a little slovenly for a wedding.

^_^;; I'm sorry for being rude, but you did ask us to be honest. I'd try working on the figure 8 bun to be truthful.

That's not rude at all. Please tell me how to do the figure 8 bun? And thanks!

loves2spin
April 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM
You mentioned a cinnamon bun ...a flipped cinnamon bun is easy and elegant ....here is mine

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/41508058.jpg

How do you do that? It's beautiful!

Magdalene
April 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
How fast does your hair grow? Your bangs might be a bit longer by June...

I think a French twist would be great on your hair- I love figure-8's but it might be a little hard to do with your length. I also love a side bun, low, under the ear, with a flower since it's June and in California.

frizzinator
April 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Here are Peggy E.'s instructions: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=57558&highlight=flipped#post57558

If that link doesn't work, it's simply a regular cinnamon bun, that you grab on both sides and flip over. Totally simple and very elegant.

loves2spin
April 27th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I did the flipped bun this morning, with 2 hair sticks to wear to Church. It looks really nice! I would be happy with this, and I will try the other ideas here. My hair grows about 1/2 inch a month usually (I think/hope) and so it will be a little longer by then, but my bangs are long enough now that they kind of want to "join" the other hairs and so all I have to do is put something simple there to hold them in place and encourage them to stay with their sisters. I agree that the original plan is slovenly. (Thank you again). My poor daughters suffered through my years of not being much of a "hair mommy" as I used to tell them. I could braid it in simple braids or put it in a pony tail, but otherwise they were on their own. I am SO grateful for the LHC!!! It has given me the encouragement and help and knowledge to be able to successfully and happily grow my hair long again and let it keep growing. Hugs to all of you! :grouphug: