PDA

View Full Version : Layers "wad" but ends in good condition?

Crystal2010
December 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Hi all,

I'm quite new here and would appreciate some advice if possible?

My hair is layered, the longest length about an inch above BSL with the shortest at nape of neck and the medium at shoulder length.

Whenever I wash or condition my hair, the layers at the side get matted and tangled. This doesn't happen to the rest of my hair. Does anyone have any idea why?

I wondered whether it was: longer lengths protected by shorter layers?; over ironing of sides (stopped this about 3 months ago)? product build up?

Any advice or suggestions would be really welcome.

Thanks

spidermom
December 16th, 2009, 01:58 PM
My guess is that they are drier and take more abuse than other areas of your hair. My entire canopy (top-most layer) will matt up with washing if I'm not careful to give it extra conditioner.

halo_tightens
December 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm kind of thinking along the same lines as spidermom...

The canopy always takes the most damage, since it forms the exposed surface and gets the most sun, wind, friction, etc. That part of your hair may just be more damaged than the rest. Pamper it! :)

Crystal2010
December 17th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Thanks for your replies. That makes total sense to me, guess I need to start looking after the canopy a little more!:)

Yayasmurf
December 17th, 2009, 04:46 AM
My canopy is definitely different from the rest of my hair. It is matted after washing no matter how I try to prevent it.

cobblersmaid
December 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM
How were the layers cut in? If they were "razored" that hair will be much more damaged as the cuticle was basically cut open like curling a ribbon!

Crystal2010
December 18th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Yes, my layers were originally cut with a razor. My hairdresser has tried all manner of things to "thin" my hair out - including the razor and thinning scissors. She said it would make my hair less heavy and more manageable.

I haven't had a cut for 6 months and have stopped ironing my hair. My curls are fairly well defined but the side layers separate off from the curls, dry quickly and look a little wispy. I guess this is cumulative damage :rolleyes: