PDA

View Full Version : No-pooing

e123vg
December 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
so, on the 11th i gave up brushing, putting my hair up, and started no-pooing, today was the second day i no-poo my hair and to my suprise... i have wavy/curly hair :) all these years i thought i had stick straight hair. i'm just so happy i finally have some body to my hair, and some waves/curl. i can't wait to see what it will look like once it's finally longer. just curious on how many of you out there no-poo and are there any other secrets to making my hair grow faster and stronger.

bumblebums
December 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I also don't use shampoo anymore, but my hair texture hasn't changed since I gave it up. The texture of my hair has shifted towards more wave/curl as I've grown older--it was much straighter when I was a kid.

By the way, not brushing and not putting the hair up alone would encourage curls to form if your hair has a tendency to curl. I wouldn't assume that no 'poo alone has changed your hair's texture. It's been known to happen, though--shampoo and conditioner do all sorts of things to our hair that we might not be aware of!

Goose
December 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM
When I do CO washing, my hair gets really pretty waves to it...:)

It definitely helps with the "health" of my hair, but I need to find a conditioner that will keep my highlights blonde. :(

ButterCup02
December 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I don't use shampoo either, I do CO washing with my hair. I found it really changed what my hair looks like too! It used to be soooo dry!

JenniferNoel
December 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I started CO washing several months ago and, apparently, my hair loves it. Instead of brushing, I just use a wide-toothed comb before the wash (to prevent tangling) and before sleeping.
As far as hair growth itself goes, there aren't really any "secrets" that will instantly make your hair grow at impossible speeds, but the best you can do is take vitamins (B, E, C, A, the works), antioxidants, and consume lots of protein and generally just eat healthy. Another thing which you've probably heard is that stress can slow hair growth.
A daily scalp massage can stimulate the scalp therefor contributing to more growth (it works for me, at least!), and it has many other health benefits.
Growing hair seems to be more about what you shouldn't do than what you should do, to prevent hair loss/breakage/damaged ends, etc.
And, of course, patience is key. At times, it seems like growing my hair is like watching paint dry, but when I go to do my monthly measuring, it's very rewarding.
Happy growing, and welcome to LHC! :)

Anje
December 16th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I've got to get my mind out of the gutter. I saw this thread and all I could think was,
"Hold it!"

I like CO washing -- shampoo makes my hair kinda frizzy and my hair and scalp feel dry when I do it regularly. No baking soda for me, like in the classic "no poo" method, though.

chrissy-b
December 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I've got to get my mind out of the gutter. I saw this thread and all I could think was,
"Hold it!"

It wasn't just you. I thought there was a serious constipation issue that needed to be addressed. :p

halo_tightens
December 16th, 2009, 02:21 PM
It wasn't just you. I thought there was a serious constipation issue that needed to be addressed. :p

First thing that came to my mind too! :D

e123vg
December 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM
haha, that is too funny. i was debating trying the co-wash but i'm afraid it will weigh my hair down too much. most of my hair is super fine. if the baking soda and acv start to lose their charm, that's my next adventure. as for vitamins, i've been taking a prenatals for the last ten years but i'm pregnant at the moment so i'm not sure if i can take a hair and nail vit.... i'll have to ask. thanks for the info! best of luck to you all in your hair growing goals.

jojo
December 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Senna is very good if your not pooing ;)

Lamb
December 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Senna is very good if your not pooing ;)

:rollin: I had a similar idea. Really, the mane board is not the place to discuss digestive problems. :lol:

BTW, I have some serious issues with this term - why can't we just say "no shampoo" or "going shampoo-free"? :hmm:

piratejenny23
December 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM
i had the exact same discovery! i always thought i had really straight hair too!!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4094&pictureid=56070

klcqtee
December 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I'm a happy (newly cone free) CO! I also don't brush or comb my hair, aside from right before I shower.

It has brought out my waves, but more than anything, it has prevented quite a bit of mistreatment. I don't brush my hair very nicely, so I figure the less abuse I put it through the better.

I have actually found that CO means that I no longer really "need" to brush my hair frequently. It has a couple tangles, but nothing nearl as large and horrid as I used to get.

Ahhhh, life is good in the world of hair.

jojo
December 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM
:rollin: I had a similar idea. Really, the mane board is not the place to discuss digestive problems. :lol:

BTW, I have some serious issues with this term - why can't we just say "no shampoo" or "going shampoo-free"? :hmm: because we are special.

long haired woman speak with coded tongue:D

Igor
December 18th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Congrats on going no-shampoo!
I had a discovery about my hair too when I stopped shampooing… My hair isnt blonde, but more of a strawberry-blonde :lol: (Well, it was a big ”huh?” for me...)
One advice though would be to not cut shampoo out completely as in going “cold turkey” but allow yourself to use it if you need. Don’t see it as a fail if you need to shampoo, but more as an adjustment period while you explore the routines that works for you

Bellalalala
December 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah, there are so many different hair care routines on here that no one actually seems to use the term "no poo"

In the summer I do water only "no poo" and in the winter I do baking soda and lemon juice "no poo."

I find that both cut down dramatically on oiliness and dandruff, they also both give my hair much more body and much less frizz than shampoo.

That said, I HATED shampoo. No matter what conditioner I tried, my hair always dried crispy. Even when I grew out virgin hair, the dryness and frizz was unreal. Even leave in conditioners didn't do much, and I never had any body near my roots, just flat flat roots and puffy frizz.

countryhopper
February 18th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I haven't used shampoo since Nov 1,09. I quit cold turkey, and it took a good 2 weeks for my scalp to adjust. I went from shampooing every day to washing with diluted baking soda twice a week, followed by tea rinses. My hair has gone from 1a to 1b!

I'm not sure if not using shampoo is contributing to my hair's growth or not, but it DOES seem much healthier!

I found that washing with an egg can help get rid of the waxiness you might experience. What are you washing with?

JamieLeigh
February 18th, 2010, 09:04 AM
The only real secret to growing faster and stronger is to eat a healthy vitamin-filled diet and keep your body at top health when possible. Hair grows at a pre-determined genetic rate, and all we can do is to maximize our growth rate that we've been given. :flower:

As far as no-poo? I love conditioner-only. I've been CO since January 09 and I haven't gone back. I think I might have clarified with shampoo about 5 times all year long, and I might not have even needed it those times. I definitely see more wave and body, and my hair feels a million times softer and less frizzy than it ever did before. :)