PDA

View Full Version : A "MAJOR" cut for me... <LONG w/ PICS>

Addy
December 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I said I'd never walk into a salon and sit down in front of a stranger but I did just that on Monday evening after dropping my daughter off at dance class. I had a great experience too! As I walked in, the stylist said I have a 20 minute wait. As I stood there, I comptemplated running out the door. haha I stayed though and watched her cut a young girl's waist length hair to shoulder length with nice layers. As I stood there and watched her, I felt confidant that this young girl knew what she was doing so I stayed to do what I went there to do.

I opted out of having my hair washed as I read the ingrediants of the poo and conditioner bottle. <stupid nut allergy anyways> She sprayed my hair with a water bottle and the conversation started about what I was wanting and I told her and she suggested that since I still wanted long hair that we be conservative because once it's gone, it's gone! I had a great experience with this stranger named Kasey and will probably go back and see her in a year or so... hopefully, she'll still be there!

I'm of the feeling that this growing out color business is brutal. I thought growing out layers was brutal and here I am again, feeling the same way about color!

I had been quietly contemplating this decision for some time. Would I be willing to sacrifice good length in-exchange for getting rid of what "was" a rich brown color that went brassy on me?! :puke: I think I can! If I can chop from APL to shoulder length to get rid of layers and be good with it, I can go from a bit past BSL to APL with some layers to get rid of nasty, brassy color! NO DOUBT!

I knew when I started, I had two goals in mind... get rid of layers and grow out color! I have 16 months and counting of growing out color and over two years of recovering from an awful cut. I am far from having my hair the way I want it but I have to asess my situation and line my goals up and I have done that a few times since joining LHC <just so happens, I'm not done>! haha I'm going to blame paper for all of this too! :D J/K paper! :p You have been an inspiration to me! :)

Before... 11/16/09
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9356/111609013.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/i/111609013.jpg/)

So without further ado... my new do! For now...
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/3466/121409024.jpg (http://img697.imageshack.us/i/121409024.jpg/)

I still have some growing to do. I am just so sick of the brassy color. It has faded so much and I just want my natural hair back already, even if I have to grow it back out, that doesn't seem to be an issue with my hair... some of you know it grows like a bad weed which is good! :eyebrows:

I've just come to a cross road where I knew I had to make a decision and I believe that my hair will thank me for making the right decision eventually. It sure is weird though not being able to throw my hair up like I used to do though!

I'm happy with this for now as I seem to have a 50/50 mix of virgin/color treated hair.

Here are a couple more pics...
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/2843/121409028.jpg (http://img697.imageshack.us/i/121409028.jpg/)

I really like how my true color shows through in this pic...
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/625/121409029.jpg (http://img710.imageshack.us/i/121409029.jpg/)

I am almost there! Goals! Goals! Goals! They're made to keep and made to break! For anyone out there wondering what they should do with their hair, do what you feel you need to do! Think about it before you do it and most of all, Love Your Hair for what it is and nothing more or less!

IMMV! :cool:

rags
December 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Addy, your hair looks absolutely beautiful! I like the cut. Paper sure started something, didn't she? :p I think I can see a silver or two peeking out in that last pic!

It's always nice to hear a good story about a hairdresser. I'm glad you had a good experience, and your hair looks fantastic! (Another few months, and you could cut the rest of it right out!)

DarkChocolate
December 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Addy, Your hair looks nice:) The cut looks good, she did a nice U shape. I have to say that your hair looked fine before the cut as well. Is your colored hair full of splits or is it just that fact that you don't like the color?

bumblebums
December 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
The new growth looks like it's in really good condition!

Akiko
December 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Your natural color looks great! Hair will grow!

suicides_eve
December 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Your hair color is gorgeous. Any one whos grown out color knows how you feel. Rather have it gone then feeling like everyone is staring a two toned hair- even if they really aren't'. It looks great. And your have all that length back in no time flat filled with nice virgin hair

Spike
December 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Yup, growing out ANYTHING is brutal 'cos you're always faced with the same choice--keep the new length and hate the old thing, or chop the old thing and sacrifice the inches.

Your hairstylist did a good job, though. I like the new 'do, and your natural color is a lovely shade. Good luck growing it all back!

Addy
December 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Addy, Your hair looks nice:) The cut looks good, she did a nice U shape. I have to say that your hair looked fine before the cut as well. Is your colored hair full of splits or is it just that fact that you don't like the color?

My hair had not one split. I just don't like the brassiness. 16 months of fading has just caught up to me and I was ready to just do it! I tried the temp color that paper did awhile ago and it washed out in less than two days. It was not worth the effort in my opinion.

I have to now decide if and when I will do it again. I'm not sure but as soon as I figure it out, I will know what to do. I think I'm going to let this cut settle for a few months before I start thinking about it again.

Thanks for the compliments! I think Kasey did a wonderful job! :cool:

spidermom
December 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Very nice cut. Happy growing!

kmangus
December 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Nice hemline. The stylist did very well.

redneckprincess
December 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM
WOW!!! ok It looks really good ☺ I'm glad your happy with it, I know that in the future I have about 10" that will need to go, but I'm not worring about that yet...you now have hair about my length, we will grow together ☺

halo_tightens
December 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM
That's what I was thinking, rp-- it sort of reminds me of mine now!

I've been in the two-tone situation before too, Addy, so I know how it goes. It's looking good, though! You're well on your way. :)

Addy
December 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Yes, we can grow together RNP! :)

I've started biotin again just to get a jump on what will possibly be some major kickbutt growth! :eyebrows:

I can't wait to be done with the dye jobby though! :D

enfys
December 16th, 2009, 11:58 AM
It looks great but yes you did lose a fair bit of length so I imagine you will need to adjust to that.

With fast growing hair you should be shot of the rest in no time if that's what you want to do.

Addy
December 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
That's what I said when I looked down and saw my hair laying on the floor! I lost a good bit and then looking at the before pics... I'm back to the same length I was at this time last year, just a tad bit longer!

It grow though and I have one more big cut to go to get there... just debating on when to do it. I can't say if it will be sooner or later though. :) I think I'll wait for awhile and let it grow.

little_acorn
December 16th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Good cut, she did a really nice job for you :D

Addy
December 16th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Thank you for the compliments Ladies! :)

juliaxena
December 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM
It looks super nice and you will be just fine. I also prefer growing back to growing out

GoddesJourney
December 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
So whatever, it will keep growing but you're *almost* rid of that brassy color that's keeping you from really enjoying your hair the way you want to. I understand because I went through that same, snail-paced, frustrating process. Once it's gone, it's gone though. You're almost there. At least your hair is nice and thick. Mine was like straw by the time I had to start growing it out.

AmselJoey
December 16th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hi Addy!

I am in the same boat as you. Since I hennaed July 2007, my hair is two-tone and brassy as well! I hate the color and actually cut off 10 inches this year because of it. I, too, found losing some length was worth getting rid of the orangey color that is tormenting me.

I was surprised to find I loved the shorter length. Yay for hair at any length, as it is always enjoyable!!! :cheese:

Good luck :)

smilinjenn71
December 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Geez, first PAPER, now YOU!:p

I think your new hair cut looks almost as fabulous as the girl wearing it!;) Seriously, I'm glad you mustered the courage to walk into a salon again AND I'm glad you found someone that listened to your goals AND gave you a beautiful cut! The shape and hemline looks really nice. You'll be rid of that color in no time!

You girls are more brave than I......hendigo is still long and bright in my future. However, I'm sure the day will come when I stop coloring and yes, I will make the same decision....CUT! After all....it *is* just hair.:D

melikai
December 16th, 2009, 09:46 PM
The new ends now just look like they were lightened by the sun, so not to worry! I'm glad you had such a positive experience at the hair salon.

Crysta
December 17th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I'd love to have virgin hair, but I just can't keep away from colour ^_^

I like your natural colour, very ashy tone.

Aditi
December 17th, 2009, 02:41 AM
You natural hair color is beautiful loved your hair-cut as well. Happy Growing :flower:

jojo
December 17th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I love it and remember nobodies hair is exactly the same colour at the ends anyway due to sun and age of long hair. I think your hair looks really thick and bouncy and knowing how quick you grow, you will be back to your before pictures before you know it!

Addy
December 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks! Now it's time to confess! :D I ended up straightening it yesterday and didn't like how the layers laid so I went to a different salon and had a girl cut all my color off! haha It's gone and I love it!

You can see the red at the top is natural from the sun but OHHHH BOY!!! Look at that brown under there!!! :cheese: I am so glad to have it all off and I can get back to one goal in mind and that is growth! :cool: I'm not worried about my length at all. I'm an all or nothing girl and have done it before!

DH said, I love your hair! :D That's the first comp I got from him in a long time on my hair. He likes it short but I'm growing it long!!! Sorry DH! :D

Blown out with a round brush. I told the girl, I don't care how you style it, I'm just gonna wash it and go!
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2992/121709010.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/i/121709010.jpg/)

jojo
December 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
It looks so healthy and again I love it, your natural colour reminds me of chocolate, gee you have shinny hair, you will be waist by next week anyway mrs speedy grower!

Addy
December 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM
It looks so healthy and again I love it, your natural colour reminds me of chocolate, gee you have shinny hair, you will be waist by next week anyway mrs speedy grower!

I could only wish it'd be waist by next week! Thanks for the laugh! It won't be long though! I'm going to start back up in the post a pic a week thread you started on Sunday. Let's see, the last time I was shoulder length was July 08 and I was a bit past bsl when I cut in Dec 09 so that is *punching numbers in my calculator* 17 months and I should be where I was! Not too shabby if I say so myself! :D

Ryanne
December 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Nice hair cut. I'm glad you're happy with it!
Good luck. :flower:

paper
December 18th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Addy, I am so proud of you! It's a wonderful feeing being rid of that dye, isn't it? I'm glad I inspired you. :) Your cut is very cute, and your hair looks so healthy and shiny now. Now, we can grow our hair out together, again.

Pixna
December 18th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Addy, it turned out GREAT!! And your natural color is so rich and and luscious. It was a good decision, and you are fortunate to have found someone you trust who did a terrific job. Happy growing!!

redneckprincess
December 18th, 2009, 09:22 AM
wow your hair is georgous...im still not cutting off my bleach (just yet lol) but im happy for you that you like it and now you can concentrate on one goal insted of 2...good luck and i bet, you will be back to BSL in no time at all ☺

JamieLeigh
December 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
It looks awesome, Addy!! I bet by this time next year you will be old-dye-free! ;) What will you do then?? :p

Addy
December 18th, 2009, 10:08 AM
It just occured to me yesterday that now I can't use that demarcation line to track my growth! I guess I'll have to resort to the land of freckles on my back for that! :D