PDA

View Full Version : Hair thickness and buns---

QueenBea
April 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I see people here with my length hair who can make buns---

My hair is so THICK that by the time I twist it around into a rope, I can really only wrap it halfway around and I run out of hair. And it looks silly to pin it like that; it just doesn't hold.

With thick hair, will I just have to wait until it's BSL or so before I can bun? Or are there tricks to doing it while it's the current length?

Here's a link to my hairtyping picture so you can see how long it is; it SEEMS long enough to get SOME kind of bun, but I can't get any sense out of it---
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn254/QueenBea73/?action=view&current=hair12.jpg

Thanks,
QueenBea

florenonite
April 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I'm a iii, too, and I didn't really start wearing buns until I was about APL. I tried them when I first found LHC in the summer, but I could only just get one turn around (and that was because of my layers) so I gave up on that rather quickly. You may well need more length before you can manage them.

soleluna
April 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
At that length I couldn't do buns. I started with them at BSL and now it's all right even if my hair is still too short for a wrapped bun with hairstick

Euphony
April 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Sorry to say, but you will need more length to make up for the thickness to be able to do buns. It's a little aggravating I know. Just last September I was able to do a figure 8 that didn't fall right away, it would fall about an hour later (hey, it's progress!). Now I can do an 8 and an infinite that'll hold all day. At hip length you'd think my hair would be long enough to do every bun...I can do a cinnamon bun, but all it looks like is a round bun - there's no cinnamon! I can't even do a nautalis bun yet.

Have you tried doing two buns, depending on how thick your iii is, two buns still may not hold though.

Feisty Redhead
April 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I couldn't do buns till about APL either. In the mean time try some half-up buns instead. I've been doing half-up figure 8 buns till I have the length to be able to do one with all my hair and it works well; I feel like I still have a decent amount of styling options by incorporating a lot of half ups. Plus it provides practice for once your hair is long enough to do the style with all your hair instead of just half of it. :)

Anje
April 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM
At your length, not everyone can do buns. It's OK -- we'll all say you don't need to worry about protecting your hair when you have so much, or similar jealous comments. Frankly, I don't think hair needs much protection except maybe from wind until it gets to a length where it's going to rub on chairs and get caught in backpack/purse straps, etc.

Islandgrrl
April 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I can't do much more than a cinnamon bun, and I'm just about at BSL. It'll be waist or longer for me before I can do anything other than what I'm doing now because of the thickness of my hair. But I do frequently separate my hair into 2 or 3 sections and bun each section separately. It can be very, very pretty that way!

Euphony
April 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Oh oh oh I just had a thought! I tried this a few times before I could do 'real' buns, but I think I was a bit updo clueless (I'm better now, but not much). How about bun the top half of your hair, then wrap the bottom half around that?

Phalaenopsis
April 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Yes, I have the same problem. Even now I still have problems with bunning. Thick hair has its downsides too, and this is one of them. Luckily, hair grows, and you too shall be able to do a bun ;)

florenonite
April 25th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Oh oh oh I just had a thought! I tried this a few times before I could do 'real' buns, but I think I was a bit updo clueless (I'm better now, but not much). How about bun the top half of your hair, then wrap the bottom half around that?

You mean a Moezland/seashell bun? I'm wearing one of those right now!

AJoifulNoise
April 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM

I second trying this one. I never tried buns before BSL.

Euphony
April 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM
You mean a Moezland/seashell bun? I'm wearing one of those right now!
hahaha I don't know, but what a cute name!

nomadhome
April 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I couldn't bun at that length either. It was all about half ups and peacock twists for me at that point. Good luck with the growing! :)

Igor
April 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
You're an iii, I couldn't make a real bun until I was at waist. Sorry, you need to equipt some patience instead :shrug:
Although you can try putting some long strands of fake hair in to help wrap it aorund itself

amaiaisabella
April 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I feel your pain! I can't do a bun worth anything either, and I'm at the same length with half the thickness :)

I just started doing Gibson tucks, which hold beautifully :)

Requiax
April 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I couldn't do a decent cinnamon bun until waist, it's just not possible with really thick hair. You can try dual buns, with half the thickness it should work.

QueenBea
April 25th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the sympathy :) I'm really not *sad* about it; I was just wondering if I was flat-out stupid for not being able to make a bun, or if perhaps it was just a thickness thing.

Glad to know my theory was right and I just need to wait. I've been a peacock for six months, and it's cute; I can wait on the bun. I can do a sock bun, and that's fun.

I will have to try a half-pulled back bun; I did that once, like a little rosette and it was pretty; I forgot about it.

Go hair! I"m pregnant, so maybe it will grow faster in the next, gosh, 6 months, ack! That looks scary typed out, since I know it will go fast.

--QueenBea

Kirin
April 25th, 2008, 05:48 PM
no your not stupid. My hair is not very thick, but though i could twist up a bun, the bun itself would be the size of a pencil eraser LOL, not a glamorous look!

My hair is about your length, what works GREAT is teh sock bun. Makes you look like you have way more longer hair than you already do.

backtolonghair
April 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM
My hair is about your length, what works GREAT is teh sock bun. Makes you look like you have way more longer hair than you already do.

what is a sock bun?
And what does APL stand for? Thanks! :)

bruteforcegrl
April 25th, 2008, 07:25 PM
APL is probably armpit length.

QueenBea,
Could you do a French Twist? I used to be able to do those and now my fine hair is too long and they don't hold and come out like a blob if I can secure them at all. I really liked that style when my hair was shorter than BSL.
bfg

kwaniesiam
April 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm an i, but my friend has iii (and then some!) hair that I've tried to put in a bun for her before and it just doesn't work, too much hair. I think her circumference is around 5.5" and her hair is past waist. I've managed to help her get somewhat of a cinnabun stay up with lots of pins and some stick, but it really depends on how thick your hair is. I'd definitely suggest the sock bun, it's a savior for thicker haired folks that can't yet do buns and thin haired folk like me who want their buns to look bigger :)

Lady Godiva
April 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah, it's not a volume issue, but a length issue. Be patient with your hair. :wink: You'll get there!

blue_nant
April 26th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Sorry to say, but you will need more length to make up for the thickness to be able to do buns. It's a little aggravating I know. Just last September I was able to do a figure 8 that didn't fall right away, it would fall about an hour later (hey, it's progress!). Now I can do an 8 and an infinite that'll hold all day. At hip length you'd think my hair would be long enough to do every bun...I can do a cinnamon bun, but all it looks like is a round bun - there's no cinnamon! I can't even do a nautalis bun yet.

Have you tried doing two buns, depending on how thick your iii is, two buns still may not hold though.

Yeah, like taking your hair, dividing it and making a half of a side of a bun out of each thick short rope???

Good luck, I feel your pain. OK, no, I don't, as my hair is not thick, but I understand the in-betweeny-ness of the length. I remember those days as years long even tho they probably weren't.

soleluna
April 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I have some bun pictures in my album! ;)

chloeishere
April 26th, 2008, 12:46 PM
You could do pigtail buns! That way each bun only has half the thickness. My hair isn't thick (it's average), but when I was searching for styles I could do when my hair was too short to bun-- well, pigtail buns are possible!

Edit: I see this has been mentioned, I only read through the first page of replies. Whoops!

QueenBea
April 26th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I'll be patient :) I've just seen thin, thin hair my length, bunned. Because when it's twisted, it's like as thin as a pencil and can make a tiny bun. But obviously the logistics aren't gonna work with thick hair :)

It's right at 4" pony circumference so it's not OVERLY thick; maybe 6 more inches or so and we'll be there--

I need to work on braids.

Bea

Rebelkat
April 26th, 2008, 07:22 PM
When I was around your length, I couldn't do a single bun, either. However, I was able to do a braided bun on each side. Maybe that would work for you?