PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Burzum999
December 16th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Yes, hello. My name is Timothy, from western MA. I joined this site October 9, 2009, but couldn't actually get started till...now! :)

I have had long(er) hair for nearly six (6) years now (since early '04), and the longest-recorded was 28.5" or so a few weeks ago before I had my girlfriend trim it (-had been since 10/1/08 = over a year!!) a couple of inches. :) I had felt that was my stopping point because for over five years of growing my hair, it wouldn't grow past that, and I always wanted to grow it down my back...

Well, I came to realize--thanks to my girlfriend :)--that it was the way(s) I was treating my hair (exempli gratia, mostly ponytails (always), and the occasional relaxer/BKT or flat ironing*) which were creating damage via breakage among other ways and thus prohibiting my hair from growing any longer, but with my ends still thick evidently, it 'shows' I can grow it longer. :) ...and with the good reputation of this site, I hope to obtain advice/suggestions on doing - just - this! :)

My profile will be updated shortly with a picture or two if allowed (...?) and more elaborate details of my hair: type, condition, care, et cetera, revealed. As well, I will make another post ASAP.

Sincerely,
Timothy

*I haven't flat ironed since my best friend's wedding on 10/18/08, and not regularly since '05 (maybe early '06) - all of the time in-between, I would only do it for special occasions (exempli gratia, wedding, funeral, job interview perhaps). I had the Brazilian Keratin Treatment (BKT) done on 10/1/08, and the last relaxer was 7/20/07 - two previous relaxers in summers of '04 and '05. NOTE: In place of 'tails, I have learned to braid thanks, yet again, to my girlfriend. :) Just the English, or 'common,' braid so far. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Aludarae/1121091951.jpg

Naamah
December 16th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I FINALLY got you to post something! :p

Guess I'll be the first to welcome you here!
You'll learn a lot, believe me.
<3

We'll get better pictures of your hair soon that are NOT taken by my cell phone. :)

Burzum999
December 16th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Awww, thanks, Hon. Yeah, I'm such a procrastinator, and with everything else that was going on (...that I used as an excuse, ha! Nah, just kidding, everybody - this is important to me! :) But I was busy to some degree(s)...).

Drynwhyl
December 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Welcome, Timothy!
Those curls have some potential, although they are a bit frizzy. I suggest some good oiling, and it'd be perfect.
Update soon :)

Pierre
December 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Welcome! You have such pretty curls! Which is the One Ringlet to curl them all? :D

Burzum999
December 17th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Welcome, Timothy!
Those curls have some potential, although they are a bit frizzy. I suggest some good oiling, and it'd be perfect.
Update soon :)

Why, thank You for the welcome, "Drynwhyl"! :) ...and for the encouragement via the 'potential' comment, and for the oiling advice. :) I had actually been using the Oleo-Relax oil by Kerastase Nutritive (Loreal product) until about a month ago when my girlfriend suggested using a leave-in conditioner, in which I have been using a Revitalizing Conditioner (with Tea Therapy) by Vo5, and it controls a lot more of the frizz and sporadic poof than the Oleo-Relax oil did. (Also, though, not combing my hair anymore keeps the curls from separating obviously, and thus keeps the poof down; I only comb before I shower. If anything throughout the day, I will finger-comb.)

But she also suggested a few different oils to try, even olive oil from the pantry! (...to use before the leave-in conditioner.) I will indeed try some different oils very soon (also, a more moisturizing leave-in conditoner), and I know everyone's hair is different, but have any type of oil in specific You think I should try? My girlfriend is about to bring over the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner which has a few oils in it - what do You think?

Until I get my hair routine underway, I figured I'd provide You with a brief, personal update with those details since You requested. :) I shampoo/condition my hair every 4-6 days using Oleo-Relax conditoner by Kerastase Nutritive (Loreal product of course) and alternating between Bain Satin shampoo by Kerastase Nutritive and Bb. Clarifying shampoo by Bumble and Bumble. Between washings (often, two days after), I have a Vo5 session during a shower. I leave in the Vo5 conditioner after every washing or session, and I often braid my hair now (when wet or heavily damp) which first requires carefully/softly combing with a plastic wide-toothed comb then a wooden quill brush all behind my ears (sometimes slick over the top for no part which requires being even more careful). In a few hours, my hair is left nice, soft, and smooth to the touch. :) ...and frizz is pretty controlled thanks to the leave-in conditioner.

Perhaps more to come!! :)

Sincerely,
Timothy

Burzum999
December 17th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Welcome! You have such pretty curls! Which is the One Ringlet to curl them all? :D

...haha, well, I wouldn't be able to tell You, but I'll be on a mission to find out! ;) (On a side note, LotR rules, heh.)

Thank You as well, Pierre, for the welcoming! :) ...and for the nice comment. :) I like my curls--ironic, too, because when I started growing my hair out, I wanted it pin-straight, then a couple of years later, wavy, yet I'd speak so highly of natural beauty (and thus natural attraction), especially in women and commended those who exhibited it, so I should have myself = hypocrite, that I was LOL--but I need to make them a little more manageable, and of course my hair healthier.

I have actually been taking Biotin with my girlfriend for 2 or 3 months now, it's definitely made a difference on my nails (of course, biting and peeling my whole life didn't help...), and I believe on my hair, too. :) Have any suggestions? Isn't Vitamin E good, and Fish Oil, too?

Sincerely,
Timothy

Sammich
December 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I would really kill for curls. @_@ Jesus. They're amazing! I want!

embee
December 17th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Oh noes ... Just *LOOK* at those curls! Arrrgh. Envy envy envy. ;) My DH had hair like that, only he kept it short and tried his best to flatten it down.

Welcome, Timothy. :) You'll find lots of curly company here.

Burzum999
December 20th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I would really kill for curls. @_@ Jesus. They're amazing! I want!

:) Thank You very much. For (natural!) curls, I must admit I am content with them, and they slowly grow on me...as probably mentioned earlier, I used to hate them near-six years ago when I started growing my hair out, but I've always commended natural beauty. I just wish they were a bit more manageable, perhaps slightly more wavy. Keeping my hair as healthy as possible--and being into the "all natural" like I am, finding 100% herbs and what-not to use in my hair (about to read the henna posts on here...)--I hope to grow it down to my back, as for the past six years, it never grew past 28-28.5".

Timothy

Burzum999
December 20th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Oh noes ... Just *LOOK* at those curls! Arrrgh. Envy envy envy. ;) My DH had hair like that, only he kept it short and tried his best to flatten it down.

Welcome, Timothy. :) You'll find lots of curly company here.

:) Good, I am glad I will find "curly company" here. :) And thanks for the comment - much appreciated. :) Do You wish Your husband grew it out and kept it natural?
Timothy