PDA

View Full Version : mega shed

atlantaz3
December 15th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Is anyone else going through a major shed. I thought this was the time of year hair stayed around? Maybe I'm just noticing it more, but I seem to be finding hair everywhere -office chair, coats, furniture, floor -I'm afraid to look at the hoover!
Any suggestions for shed stop?!

klcqtee
December 15th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I've been freaking out about this recently. My circumference has been cut in half...I'm not sure if that's natural shed (I doubt it), or if it's some medical issue. It's really scary to go from almost 6" to 2.5"

e123vg
December 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM
ha, i'm not the only one. i just asked my mom about this *she went to beauty school* she said in one of the text books it had mentioned something about nov-dec is when most people have a heavy shedding period... interesting, i think i'll google it.

Messyhair
December 17th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Hmm... mine has started shedding like crazy lately, so I don't know if it's the time of year or that I'm finally shedding normally after not shedding for months while I was pregnant. I'll have to see if it keeps up in the months to come...

Gvnagitlvgei
December 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Mine as well. It scares me. I think I need to up massage with warm oils at night or something. I don't like the excessive shedding.

spidermom
December 17th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I'm shedding a lot, too. Yesterday I stepped on something that started to slide; I almost fell. It was a wad of my hair. Freaky!

Anje
December 17th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I haven't noticed increased shedding lately, but I did go through some a few months ago. (I think I might have to do some questionaires trying to relate seasonal shedding and climate or day length, to see whether there's a predictable trigger.)

I've been freaking out about this recently. My circumference has been cut in half...I'm not sure if that's natural shed (I doubt it), or if it's some medical issue. It's really scary to go from almost 6" to 2.5"
I'm going to suggest that you go to a doctor, and make sure you show the size of your ponytail then and now. As near as I can figure, you've lost a bit over 80% of your hair (that is, ponytail area has gone from 2.8 sq. inches to 0.5 square inch), which is definitely medically significant, even if you currently have a "normal" amount of hair.

Stephichan
December 17th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I've been going through a bigger than normal (for me) shed since September. I got checked out, but all of my levels were apparently within normal ranges. I was told that most likely stress was the problem. I recently read that stress can make your hair fall out even months later, which is what I suspect is going on with me (2009 has not been the greatest).

I try not to exacerbate the problem. I've been COing recently because I lose a lot less hair in the shower when I do that. When I do need to use S&C, I do CWC, to cut down on tangles.

bumblebums
December 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Here is a link to a 1991 study of seasonal shedding: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2003996. It was done in the Northern hemisphere, in England. According to this study, "the number of shed hairs reached a peak around August/September, when least follicles were in anagen."

So if you are average, you should reach your peak shedding period at the end of the summer.

Gypsygirl
December 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Sounds like seasonal shedding to me... Happens to me twice a year. Maybe just wait a bit longer and then, if you don't see a difference, you should talk to your doctor about it. It could be stress, allergies, hormones, diet or you may need to take certain supplements. Start with those things and see if it helps at all. One step at a time...

Madame J
December 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I should have taken a picture the other night. I used my fingers to kind of rake up all the hair on the carpet at my "vanity" (it's a bookcase with a mirror hanging above it and all my combs/oils lined up on top). There was a pretty nice-sized ball of nearly-black hair, maybe 6-8" in diameter. So of course I called DH in and said "Look, honey: a new pet!"

He was not amused. Hair-pet it in the trash now.

I went through my seasonal shed a couple months ago, but I still release a small animal into the wild at least monthly.

Honey39
December 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I've been having a big shed too - it's the season for me to shed, apparently!

I was thinking about this the other day in the shower: I DO want to shed constantly - I think I would be quite panicked if I didn't shed much at all, because all hair does have a shelf life, and I think if it didn't shed regularly, then too much could fall out at one time if all the hairs were on the same schedule (if that makes sense!). I know it sounds weird, but thinking about it like that - my hair always being in a growing cycle, with lots of little new hairs - makes me feel better.

klcqtee
December 18th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I haven't noticed increased shedding lately, but I did go through some a few months ago. (I think I might have to do some questionaires trying to relate seasonal shedding and climate or day length, to see whether there's a predictable trigger.)

I'm going to suggest that you go to a doctor, and make sure you show the size of your ponytail then and now. As near as I can figure, you've lost a bit over 80% of your hair (that is, ponytail area has gone from 2.8 sq. inches to 0.5 square inch), which is definitely medically significant, even if you currently have a "normal" amount of hair.

Yep, it's on my list, thanks!

hmmm
December 18th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I'm going through a major shed right now too. I can't comb my hair without hairs falling out, this didn't used to happen before. I haven't changed my diet or routine so I'm thinking this is pretty normal.

jel
December 19th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Here is a link to a 1991 study of seasonal shedding: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2003996. It was done in the Northern hemisphere, in England. According to this study, "the number of shed hairs reached a peak around August/September, when least follicles were in anagen."

So if you are average, you should reach your peak shedding period at the end of the summer.

This has been my experience, too.

However, last year, my seasonal shedding was much worse and longer than usual. I lost almost a quarter of my ponytail circumference and that scared me enough to go get tested. They discovered I was low on iron stores (ferritin), although it was within 'normal' range (sufficient for life; not for growing hair!). That was quite a shock for me as I eat a lot of green veg and red meat, and am a regular (3 times a year) blood donor with sufficient haemoglobin every time.

So, if you're experiencing abnormal shedding, get tested! You may be surprised like I was!

KatanyaG
December 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I've been shedding at a crazy rate lately too. I don't know if it's to do with the upcoming summer (I live in Australia), or with my very very itchy scalp. I think I might have to get myself checked out though. :/

mommy101405
December 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have been having a lot more shedding than normal as well. I am pretty sure mine is seasonal since its the first time in a while I have had a lot of shedding. I didn't go through it at the end of the summer as I expected to.

aksown
December 19th, 2009, 08:56 PM
:waving: Here, here, me too!! I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is a terminal shed, or just stress from the death of a loved one, seven months ago. I'm bugged about the loss of circumference in the past few months but I take heart from the big sections that are growing back. I hope you find out what's going on and that it isn't something serious!

Aditi
December 20th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I am in the same boat too :( i am shedding like crazy my hair has really thinned out, i am scared to wash my hair or comb my hair in order to stop more shedding.

Goose
December 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM
I was so happy to read thru this thread..I am in the same boat. Everywhere I look there is hair...on my clothes, the chair, the floor, the counter, everywhere.....:( It is very depressing. Maybe its stress related or seasonal shedding, but I hope it stops real soon...:rolleyes: