PDA

View Full Version : Frozen hair!

Gingevere
December 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Normally, I like to wash my hair at night, but sometimes I have so much homework that I have to leave it till morning. I really hate this because it doesn't get above freezing around here in the winter very often and I don't own a blow dryer anymore. My hair was still pretty wet as I was walking to class this morning, and by the time I reached the academic building it was stiff as straw. It got me thinking... how damaging is it for wet hair to freeze? Is it something that I should avoid at all costs, or is it okay every once in a while? Just curious.

OleanderTime
December 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I've wondered this, too. I live in Michigan, and our winters are long and bitter cold. Often windy.

I've been trying to decide which is worse: icicle hair or a bit of blowdrying.

I wash my hair in the morning (not every single day), and then keep it in a microfiber towel (I switch it when it gets too wet) until it's about time for me to leave. Then I blowdry the shorter pieces around my face (which I'm not necessarily trying to grow really long anyway), then I either put up a french twist with the ends tucked in, or I tuck my ponytail into my collar beneath my scarf (which feels awful when I'm outside).

heidi w.
December 15th, 2009, 09:14 AM
It's icy here right now. I put my hair up, and I did a scalp wash this morning & arrived at work with damp hair.

heidi w.

Crysta
December 15th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I would conclude it is damaging.

Water when turning to ice expands, so with wet hair I would say it proberly would crush the hair if frozen around it. I think I would definatly avoid it, but someone else proberly has a better idea of what happens.

Rigani
December 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Ouch.

Water expands at an enormous rate when it freezes! Imagine the water in a swallen up hair expanding ... or even below the roof-tile-like cuticle! o.O

If your hair is already frozen, don't touch it until it's "defrosted". I saw a frozen strand even break off (the last 3 cm ... it was freaking cold, though) ... I would avoid it at all costs.

Put a pretty cap or pretty wrap on your head :)

SimplyViki
December 15th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I'm picturing frozen strands breaking... ice is brittle! I'd say avoid it, definitely. If I lived in a climate that could reach freezing temperatures, I'd definitely invest in a blow-dryer.

ETA: I've got an idea! I have a strand of shed hair I was collecting for a little while, I was intending to strand-test for henna or something, but I've decided I like my natural color just fine for now. I could always dip it in water and freeze it, then see how it handles manipulation. Experiments are fun!

Copasetic
December 15th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I have the same problem. Lately I shower in the morning, and I try to avoid blow drying my hair. If it is really cold out, to the point where my hair will freeze if it is wet, then I tuck my hair into a slouchy hat and take it down once I am inside so that it can continue to dry.

Rigani
December 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I'm picturing frozen strands breaking... ice is brittle! I'd say avoid it, definitely. If I lived in a climate that could reach freezing temperatures, I'd definitely invest in a blow-dryer.

ETA: I've got an idea! I have a strand of shed hair I was collecting for a little while, I was intending to strand-test for henna or something, but I've decided I like my natural color just fine for now. I could always dip it in water and freeze it, then see how it handles manipulation. Experiments are fun!

I'd love to see that! :thumbsup:

GlassEyes
December 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Admittedly, it happened to me a lot last year around this time.

I had to chop a few inches off come spring. Coincidence? BUT OF COURSE.

However, I'mm unsure if it was the frozen hair, left-over dye damage or both. :shrug: Likely both.

Teakafrog
December 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Winter is the only time I ever blowdry, and then usually not all the way dry. I figure that has to be less damaging than freezing.

spidermom
December 15th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I think that freezing into icicles would be bad for the hair. Perhaps you can get a loose-made hat that you can stuff all your hair into. I made myself an angora hat that's kind of like a big snood that covers my entire head.

Blow-drying on warm is probably acceptable also - better than freezing hair.

GoddesJourney
December 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM
For the same reason cryogenic freezing is difficult... When water freezes, ice crystals form. This is damaging to cells, as they have a high water content. I would assume that this also applies to hair, dead or alive.

Nae
December 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM
This makes me think that I should start washing my hair at night. It will be 12 degrees tonight here. shudder:

juliaxena
December 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
If I did that I'd end up in hospital. My immune system couldn't handle such a shock.

marzipanthecat
December 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
It isn't good for your hair to do this very often. Think of "freeze/thaw" on pipes. It will cause a bit of cracking!

By the way, I've had it happen to me quite a few times. Once, about 5 or 6 years ago, I was on holiday in Germany, seeing the Christmas markets, and I went rushing out one morning to hang over a railing and throw bread to ducks on a pond outside the hotel we were staying in. It was well below freezing, and when I stood up my hair had FROZEN sticking out at a sideways angle!

I was pleased no one had a camera handy...

alys
December 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
But cold water or cold temp period seals the cuticle right? things that become frozen in ice are preserved indefinitely (think frozen cavepeople and mammoths). So isn't is possible that other than breakage maybe feezing your hair aint so bad?? Just wondering. Personally I live in a place where it's never possible for hair to freeze so just throwing this out there :)

liseling
December 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I used to get hair icicles when I lived in Minnesota. I didnt notice any particular damage, but then again, I wasnt too thoughtful abut my hair back then. I think if you just kept your damp hair close to your head (ie - in any updo/hat/wrap etc where your hair isnt hanging loose out in the cold air) it should be much less likely to freeze.

Tangerine
December 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Perhaps you can get a loose-made hat that you can stuff all your hair into. I made myself an angora hat that's kind of like a big snood that covers my entire head.

Your entire head, face and all??

Lol, sorry, very silly of me.:D

Anyway, I second spidermom's recommendation of a nice big loose hat that you can fold all your hair in. Works a treat!

Kris Dove
December 15th, 2009, 12:18 PM
If I did that I'd end up in hospital. My immune system couldn't handle such a shock.
Me neither! I'm almost reaching for my inhaler thinking about it! Definitely invest in a hairdryer, and some sort of heat protection leave-in for damage limitation- it has to be less damaging to your hair and better for your health than hair thats frozen into icicles!:agape:

Crysta
December 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
But cold water or cold temp period seals the cuticle right? things that become frozen in ice are preserved indefinitely

If this were completly true alot of us would be frozen so we could be brought back to life.
I know that freezing makes cells degrade, and the hair is made of protien initialy (dead cells)
good question though. and a good point.
I think i'll still rather blow dry my hair however x)

enfys
December 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
But cold water or cold temp period seals the cuticle right? things that become frozen in ice are preserved indefinitely (think frozen cavepeople and mammoths). So isn't is possible that other than breakage maybe feezing your hair aint so bad?? Just wondering. Personally I live in a place where it's never possible for hair to freeze so just throwing this out there :)

Have you ever seen a cave persons hair?!

I think the expansion of the water as it feezes is the real issue. Cool or cold water won't swell up inside your hair like that, so it's not a problem.

My hair's never frozen and I'm glad of that. I would definately buy a hairdrier if I were you, if washing the previous evening isn't possible.

ButterCup02
December 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I live where it gets very cold in winter (it was -45 C/-49 F last night) and my hair can freeze even just running outside to start my car. It always feels like straw afterwards, so I don't think it's healthy for your hair.

If it's not as cold as it is here where you live, I think a hat or wrap type thing would help for sure. I just make sure I never leave my house with wet hair in winter time. I wash it at night usually anyways.

Finoriel
December 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Hmm letīs see if I can explain this properly, I once calculated it through since I deepfreeze :p my hair regularly when working outside.

Hair has a certain amount of flexibility. It can safely be stretched/expanded for a certain amount without getting damaged.
It can also take up a certain amount of water being fully satuated, which makes it expand within the safe range.
Even at itīs max. volume the water in a fully soaked hair wonīt damage it, since the expanding rate of it still is below the stretching point of no return.
:wink: Donīt worry evolution did a good job in designing our hair to withstand normal weather phenomenons.

Though I would not recommend bending the stiff frozen hair, which will very likely cause mechanical damage.

On an additional physical sidenote :wink: the volume of water/ice isnīt at itīs biggest when itīs freezing. Itīs not that it gains the more volume the colder it gets. If one would need to worry about the hair exploding from the water getting to itīs max volume, the most dangerous temperature would be 3,98 °C / 39.16 °F :) but as said before thatīs still within range of the natural flexibility of the hair.

Rigani
December 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Good post, Finoriel! :thumbsup:

Evolution did definitely a good job to save our magnificent head of hair :D

Nevertheless I think, if it is possible to save my hair from mechanical or thermic strain by simply putting on a cap and stuffing the bun into it, I'll do that instead of risking eventual damage (even if this is unlikely to happen).

Plus it's decidedly not comfortable to have all stiff and frozen hair.:taz:

Thinthondiel
December 15th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Plus it's decidedly not comfortable to have all stiff and frozen hair.:taz:

I think it's kinda fun, actually. I love the way the stiff, frozen locks of hair dangle against each other and the sound they make. :p

I haven't had frozen hair in years, though - I guess I just haven't gone outside with wet hair when the temperature's been below freezing these last few years.

Finoriel
December 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Maybe not comfortable and likely risky indeed, but itīs so fun to poke people with a braid-icicle :whistle: not that I would ever try to do that or so ...
Ahem ok, got me I really do :lol: en garde.

SimplyViki
December 15th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Maybe not comfortable and likely risky indeed, but itīs so fun to poke people with a braid-icicle :whistle: not that I would ever try to do that or so ...
That does it, I'm making my little lock of sheds into a braid-icicle!:D

wendyg
December 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I used to walk outside with wet hair and have it freeze quite frequently. I never thought it did any harm. Just shook the icicles out of it on arrival.

wg

Gingevere
December 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Lol... this reminds of the time my super long-haired friend had a mini swordfight with her frozen double French braids. Sadly, my hair is not nearly long enough for such games. :D

Wicked Princess
December 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM
My hair freezing would happen to me fairly consistently if I went out with frozen hair in the winter. It wasn't stiff, like an icicle...more like...sort of crunchy, like cold hay. I never noticed any damage specific to my hair having been frozen, though.

If I absolutely must wash my hair in the mornings, I use a blow-dryer on medium. So far, I've only had to do this a couple times this winter.

Jessikinz
December 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM
This is exactly why I only shower at night or late in the afternoon. But if I must shower in the morning, I only ever do a scalp wash. It dries so much quicker, and if it's still damp I have a hat over my head anyways. Winter where I live is absolutely bone chilling. So planning out when to wash my hair is very important. I don't like walking around with frozen hair. I hardly am outside that long anyways. Try to keep warm this winter :)

Anje
December 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I don't remember ever having damage from letting my hair freeze in the winter after swimming as a kid. Then again, I don't think I looked either.

Thinthondiel
December 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I don't remember ever having damage from letting my hair freeze in the winter after swimming as a kid. Then again, I don't think I looked either.

I can't remember getting any damage from letting my hair freeze either, but like you, I probably didn't check for damage. But still, based on my earlier experience with frozen hair, I'm not really scared of having my hair freeze. It wasn't like it broke off or gave me split ends or anything (in fact, I was almost never able to find split ends in my hair back when it was shorter).

ericthegreat
December 15th, 2009, 07:52 PM
This is why I always blow dry my hair especially during the winter. Between the months of December and March, after my nightly CO rinse, I will first blot out the excess water in my hair with my towel and then I will grab my blowdryer and dry my hair on the warm setting. With my sheer amount of length and thickness, it is simply impossible for it to naturally air-dry by tomorrow morning. I will dry my hair by dividing it in sections, I clip up the top sections first. I will dry the bottom sections first. I use a round brush to straighten each section of my hair, even tho I'm a 1a I still get an even shinier finish when I blow out my hair.

Anything that is frozen solid is very susceptible to breaking if its smashed against something. Also, ice crystals expand, that's why pipes burst in the winter time. So if ice can do that to metal pipes, I don't even want to imagine what it can do to our hair! I would much rather take my chances with the heat of my blowdryer than getting freeze breakage from ice!

CaityBear
December 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM
If I have to wash my hair in the morning, I usually use the blowdryer on the lowest setting with the Cool button or I use my fan to help speed up the drying.

Otherwise you could probably try wearing a scarf on your head so it doesn't freeze outside and then just take it off once you get to your destination.

Natalia
December 16th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Not that i have any proof but my thought is that if frozen water expands and you have wet hair + freeze worthy weather it would seem to me that any water tucked into already damaged parts of your cuticle would wedge it open and damage it further. Then again what do i know i live in southern california and have seen real snow once in my life and i was about 7. Just a theory besides having your hair literally frozen stiff cant be good for it if its getting josstled and rubbed.

CherrySilver
December 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I've been doing this most of my life -- running out of the house with wet/freezing hair and my hair isn't any worse for it. Of course, I try to avoid this (now that I'm all grown up) but sometimes it's hard.

Since I work out almost on a daily basis, I leave the gym with wet hair after showering -- can't be bothered with a blow dryer. If it's reallllly cold outside, I'll just tuck my ends into my coat and sometimes just put a scarf on my head for warmth. Once I'm in the car (or inside) I'll just take the scarf off and take the length out of my coat to air dry. Works for me..

lovelylaura
December 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Am I crazy or do I remember snapping off the ends of my frozen hair as a child? Oops...

jojo
December 24th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Funny this post should come up the other day I did a deep oil on dry hair and the postman came with a parcel. For the time it took to sign for it and shut the door my front had frozen, I just left it. now I am worried could I have damaged my hair?

Sissy
December 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
yeah, I'd say it's best to avoid it. I would at least put it up under a protective cap before going out. I hate going out with a wet head in winter, which is why I'm sometimes forced to blowdry! I try to use lower heat setting now though and wait as long as Ican before drying.

xoxophelia
December 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I don't think you should ever let your hair freeze.

I did it once before when I was younger and some of my hair literally snapped off.

What I do if it is still wet it get a winter hat and just stuff the hair up in it with a bun or something. Or wash it at night.

Ash
December 25th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I was out in the snow the other day with wet hair and parts of it froze. When my hair dried, it was very well behaved and shiny. It almost seemed happy. Of course I wasn't playing with it much while it was frozen either although a frozen sword braid does sound fun.... :)

LHScotsman
December 26th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Yep frozen hair cannot be good. Only time I've had that was Aviemore in Scotland at -8 degrees coming back to the caravan from the shower block.

Eire
December 26th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I used to live in WI when I was in high school. We had mandatory swimming in my first hour gym class, then a walk across campus at around 8:45 in the morning to get to my next period. Needless to say, many of us arrived at second period with hair that was frozen stiff.

Frozen hair is extremely brittle and can snap clean off. Make sure to let it completely thaw before touching it. I usually take baths at night to avoid having this happen, but in some cases it's hard to avoid. I found that putting my hair in a ponytail and covering with a hat and a hood prevented a lot of the freezing and damage.

Sylvanas
December 26th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I'd say it's potentially damaging, since it can snap off if you try to bend it. I've had frozen hair so many times, and it has never done any visible damage to it. The real worry here is a wet scalp. It's likely to give you symptoms like coughing, runny nose, headaches, hypothermia, etc.

I'm gonna say what my mum always told me. "You're not going outside without your hat on, missy!" :p