PDA

View Full Version : Bun help

Angelina15
December 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Ok, so I need major help with learning to do buns. I don't even know how to do a "lazy bun." Does anyone have any links, or pictures on how to do some really easy buns? I also don't have any hair sticks, so I need buns that only require a hair tie.
Thank you!

kittensoupnrice
December 15th, 2009, 06:24 AM
If you check the VIT links at the top of the mane forum, there are a ton of really useful links. Here's the link to the styling page: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235

Anje
December 15th, 2009, 06:37 AM
The hairstyle dictionary (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/) is another good resource for looking up buns you hear about but don't know. Since it was an LHCer's project, many of the links go to backs of heads that you may recognize.

Personally, I can't stand trying to secure a bun with an elastic. It may be easier with hair your length, but I find it doesn't distribute the weight at all and tends to pull. Seriously, go get some (reusable) chopsticks and shorten them (I cut them down, then file and polish them with a nail buffer, though I think pencil sharpeners can work), or get some sock knitting needles. You can use them as sticks or bend them into Us to make "Wavelength pin" hair forks.

Crysta
December 15th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Quickest bun I know of with a hair tie, very lazy.

tie your hair as if you were going into a ponytail, only on the last loop through only pull about half of your hair through the elastic.

your hair should be half out in a pony and the majority of it should be in a little hanging loop position.

this only really works for anything shorter than waist length though.

heidi w.
December 15th, 2009, 09:18 AM
The Long Hair Loom is a free website, much like this community, mostly women.

They have a Styling Station area of their site, and lots of people post styles with how-to pictures.

That might be a resource too.

And look for things on Youtube.

heidi w.

*Aoife*
December 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I have no idea what this bun is called but my friend does it and I copied it off of her. You pull your hair back as if you were putting it in a pony tail. Twist it around and it will form into a bunish sort of shape. Tuck the ends around the base of the bun. Secure with an elastic.

heidi w.
December 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM
For many a Bees Butt Bun doesn't require anything to hold it, if the hair is a bit shorter than mine and lighter weight than mine.

Draw hair into a ponytail.

Twist the length a bit ETA, fairly firmly or tight (for lack of a better term), and spiral around, and position close to the head.

Keep twisting length and the next wrap is behind the already spiraled bit, closest to the head, between the first spiral and the head (I just described the positioning of the second spiral 3 different ways to think about it).

Repeat over & over until all wound up.

Generally, the first time or two this bun will fall out until you figure out the right tightness or tension, and get really close to the head with the beginning of the ponytail.

Then when done, the little end can be tucked around (it gets narrower as you hit the end), and you could use a long or short pin. Later when you have a hairstick, you could use that.

This bun tends to stick out from the head, but with a bit of practice you can lay it down the back of the head.

Most simple buns start with a ponytail, most times. The fancier ones might not. This bees butt bun that I just explained is the same idea for doing a regular ole bun.

BUT your first spiral you pin, north, south, east, and west, with long bobbypins from the local drugstore. Interlock them. Attach them to the hair on the back of the head. Twist more length and spiral around the circumference of the first spiral (NOT fitting behind the first spiral as you would with the bees butt bun). Pin about 3 times round interlocking with what you've already done. And so on, and tuck the ends up and under the bun and pin.

Later you can do this with fewer pins.

But that's the basic how-to.

The largest thing about styling hair that newbies don't know is they tend to shape the hair all up into something then think about securing. It's better, when a newbie, and without a lot of variety and sticks and so on, to PIN AS YOU GO.

The first spiral of hair is usually the heaviest and will tend to fall out if not pinned.

Also, you will likely notice that hair buns tend to slip during the day.

Do you know how to braid? The easiest way to change up the ole bun is to braid the length, then do all the wrapping.

Then if you can do one, you can do two small ones on either side of the head, or two braided small ones for a fun summer cool look....

I find hair is a bit easier to learn to bun if it's first braided. Again, ponytail and braid the length. Starting is the hardest. IF you have trouble starting, using a hair tie to form the ponytail, braid, hair tie the end, wrap the hair about, and take out the hair tie at the bottom of the braid and just pin under. Eventually you'll learn you don't need that starter hair tie, and with yet more length, you draw around the length to the front and continue braiding after about 3-4 weaves have begun the braid at the back.

It's pretty easy to start a braid off to one side of the head, kind high, above the ear on one side, and then breaid the length, then wrap around the head and position. Very light weight, cute, easy to pin into place, decorate with a comb, and minimal sliding unless you do like me and sleep in it and think about wearing it the following day anyway!

(I get lazy sometimes.)
heidi w.

Angelina15
December 15th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Thank you all soo much for the help! I'm so bored of ponytails! I've tried a braided bun but for some reason I can't get it to lay flat, it just pokes up... grrr.