PDA

View Full Version : Showerhead with high pressure

Sara Smile
December 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
A week ago our shower went from nice to very high pressure, with stinging painful jets of water. We've complained to our landlord, and he keeps meaning to look at it. If he ever comes out and says that nothing is wrong, we will replace the shower head.

In the meantime, is it possible for high-pressure water to damage my hair? It seems to me that if you power-wash a house, and scour dirty plates with high water pressure, that you can also damage your hair with it. My DH thinks I'm being silly, although he's humoring me by bugging our landlord. Should I worry about this? :(

teela1978
December 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Can you just turn the water on less? My mom's house used to have insane water pressure, so you had to mess with it to have a non-stinging shower :)

Sara Smile
December 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Unfortunately, it has one of those faucets where you turn the water on, then adjust the temperature (rather than the other way around). So if you want proper-temperature water, it is on full.

I would prefer to replace to faucet rather than the showerhead so that I could use half-pressure showers and my DH could scrub himself with full-pressure, but replacing a faucet is very hard.

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
A week ago our shower went from nice to very high pressure, with stinging painful jets of water. We've complained to our landlord, and he keeps meaning to look at it. If he ever comes out and says that nothing is wrong, we will replace the shower head.

In the meantime, is it possible for high-pressure water to damage my hair? It seems to me that if you power-wash a house, and scour dirty plates with high water pressure, that you can also damage your hair with it. My DH thinks I'm being silly, although he's humoring me by bugging our landlord. Should I worry about this? :(

Generally, no worries mate.

You might even be getting a better rinse, who knows?!!

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Unfortunately, it has one of those faucets where you turn the water on, then adjust the temperature (rather than the other way around). So if you want proper-temperature water, it is on full.

I would prefer to replace to faucet rather than the showerhead so that I could use half-pressure showers and my DH could scrub himself with full-pressure, but replacing a faucet is very hard.

I would argue that for the most part, a faucet doesn't have much to do with water's pressure. Pressure is an activity of how the force of water is pumped through the your system, the gravity and so on.

http://www.irwd.com/WaterQuality/pressure.php

However, the shower head can offer different kinds of options, if you go shopping. You can have rainwater, perhaps a pulsing....that kind of thing.

The shower head is actually fairly easy to replace. This is only a trim piece that fits onto a jutting out of a pipe through the wall. Your landlord may be able to help you, or you BF, help you change the shower faucet head.

heidi w.

Sissy
December 14th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I have often wondered the same thing as our shower head blows with a quite a bit of force! Hope it's not damaging.

2peasinapod
December 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I hope it's not damaging either. I used to take baths and wash my hair with a pail of water. Maybe that would work for you if you're worried about it?

Teacherbear
December 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Wanna switch showerheads?! I would LOVE to have a high pressured shower faucet!!! My parents have one, but we have one of those "low flow" ones. :(

Sara Smile
December 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Well, it does make it easier to rinse out the CO-washing. I'll keep an eye on my hair to see if it's damaging, and I'll hope that it's not. :)

Anje
December 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I have nothing helpful to add. This just reminds me of my in-laws' shower head, which seems to be really low-flow and shoots out these horrible needles of water that hurt whereever they hit your body, as well as being ineffective for rinsing hair because the flow is so low.

They have recently fixed up the basement bathroom. I plan to shower down there from now on when I stay at their place.

zule
December 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM
We had the opposite problem recently. Our water began to dribble, and I changed the shower head. No help. So we called the plumber to blow out the pipes, and it worked. Now I can rinse out shampoo and cassia with ease.

My shower head has the ability to give you a stream, raindrops, needles, low pressure, whatever you want. You only have to twist it around for different kinds of water flow. If you can find a shower head like that, you'll be good to go. I warn you, though. They can be really expensive. Go to Target or Walmart to find one.

trolleypup
December 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Just get one of those little valves that goes between the pipe and the actual showerhead...you can change it from off to full blast. Getting a better showerhead can make a difference too.

ericthegreat
December 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I purposely LOOK FOR a showerhead with high pressure. I CO on nightly basis, so a showerhead with high pressure works really well for my routine. In fact, at my house I even turn the showerhead to the massage feature so that I can both get a good scalp massage and be able to rinse the conditioner out of my scalp and hair more thoroughly.

Believe me, a high pressured showerhead will not damage your hair at all. In fact I think its even beneficial. Just look at my photo gallery for proof!

communicateboun
January 22nd, 2024, 12:46 PM
A week ago our shower went from nice to very high pressure, with stinging painful jets of water. We've complained to our landlord, and he keeps meaning to look at it. If he ever comes out and says that nothing is wrong, we will replace the shower head

I'm looking to replace the hose and shower head that is fed by a wall mounted mixer fed by a combi boiler. The current flow is not as good as we would like but is okay. Am I correct in saying that Water saving shower heads incorporate air flow into the head to give the illusion of a greater flow despite using less water? If that assumption is correct, I'm wondering therefore if we should go for one in the hope that our currently slightly underpowered shower will be improved. Any thoughts welcome

TatsuOni
January 23rd, 2024, 09:06 AM
I'm looking to replace the hose and shower head that is fed by a wall mounted mixer fed by a combi boiler. The current flow is not as good as we would like but is okay. Am I correct in saying that Water saving shower heads incorporate air flow into the head to give the illusion of a greater flow despite using less water? If that assumption is correct, I'm wondering therefore if we should go for one in the hope that our currently slightly underpowered shower will be improved. Any thoughts welcome

I don't know if there are more advanced versions of water saving shower heads, but the ones I've come across are not impressive. They're just watersaving by giving bad pressure. We removed the little plastic thing in our shower head that's what makes it saving water.

If you have bad water pressure from the start, I rather suggest a shower head that's adjustable. We can change our to getting water from every hole in the head, or half or just the inner ones. The less holes used, the higher the pressure, since it's the same amount of water, but it's getting more concentrated.

embee
January 23rd, 2024, 04:30 PM
I've considered taking the stupid showerhead off and just leaving the open pipe. Some of these water saving things leave the shower more like a thick misting drizzle.

lapushka
January 23rd, 2024, 04:56 PM
embee, they are not yet on the market here, the shower saving things, thank God! I mean, some pressure would be great!

If your pressure is low, please talk to your water co., a showerhead can't fix that issue. :)

TatsuOni
January 24th, 2024, 09:51 AM
I've considered taking the stupid showerhead off and just leaving the open pipe. Some of these water saving things leave the shower more like a thick misting drizzle.

embee, they are not yet on the market here, the shower saving things, thank God! I mean, some pressure would be great!

If your pressure is low, please talk to your water co., a showerhead can't fix that issue. :)

It can very well be the showerhead. It can be a hugh difference if there's a water saving showerhead or not.

embee if it's the showerhead, I suggest taking it off and seing if there's a little plastic thing inside that can be removed. If not, just buy a new showerhead.