PDA

View Full Version : Urge to color hair black.

sibylla
December 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I feel a huge urge to color my hair black.I like my hair but I´ve allways changed the way I look often and I´m searching everywhere for a temporary color so I can see if I like it.Any advice would be helpful for me.I guess I´m buying a temporary color tomorrow..help?

Speckla
December 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Buy a new hair toy or try a new style. Black is pretty but isn't always temporary no matter if you use a rinse that is supposed to wash out. Just keep in mind that you'll either have to grow it out, cut it off, or keep dyeing it if you go too dark. And there's possible damage. Have you condisered something like Indigo instead of box dye if you really want a change?

enfys
December 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Black can stain some people's hair, so you might want to do a strand test on your attatched hair and leave it a few weeks to see if it washes out.

I used a temporary black dye for Hallowe'en which still hasn't washed out yet but staining would be welcome anyway. I had no damage at all; no colour is being removed which is what usually causes the damage.

I thought indigo was like henna, which is permenant and often messy? I wouldn't go for that if you like changing things up.

Unofficial_Rose
December 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
How about Manic Panic? IIRC MandaMom2Three has recently used it to go black successfully. It's gentle, and it fades so you won't be stuck with it like henna +indigo 2 step.

Shermie Girl
December 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
If you want to play with black, how about a wig? Black haircolour, whether you choose indigo, "temporary" or semi permanent dye is usually a good bit more than temporary. Black is one of those colours you don't flirt with. You marry it. Let me tell you from hard experience that it is a nightmare to try to get rid of a colour that you put in your hair and knew deep in your heart you shouldn't have. I am still dealing with the process... Two. Years. Later. :)

klcqtee
December 14th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Please don't use the kind that says "washes out in 28 washes" unless you strand test. I dyed my hair with that a couple years back. It didn't do any noticeable damage, but it NEVER washed out. It stayed black, and faded a little, but still very very black.

Unofficial Rose was correct. Mandamomof3 did dye her hair recently (I think it was Manic Panic, not sure) and it turned out beautifully! I'd go ask her what she used, and see how well it is fading. If she did use Manic Panic, it will definitely fade out though (from what I've heard)

sibylla
December 14th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Thank you all for your inputs!It meens a lot to me.Inofficialrose I´ll try manicpanic.Thank you for telling me about it.

enfys
December 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Please don't use the kind that says "washes out in 28 washes" unless you strand test. I dyed my hair with that a couple years back. It didn't do any noticeable damage, but it NEVER washed out. It stayed black, and faded a little, but still very very black.

Unofficial Rose was correct. Mandamomof3 did dye her hair recently (I think it was Manic Panic, not sure) and it turned out beautifully! I'd go ask her what she used, and see how well it is fading. If she did use Manic Panic, it will definitely fade out though (from what I've heard)

That's the type I used and it's faded some, but my hair can be fairly dark naturally when it feels like it and now the red is coming through again it looks like my roots do before they see the sun.

My wet hair looks black so it wasn't a big step and staining wouldn't notice, but it could be devastatingly obvious on someone else.

MandaMom2Three
December 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I did it night before last, COed my hair last night and (after dying my hands black) I am definitely seeing the red through it again. MP doesn't seem to hang around on my hair for very long, I just wanted to see how it would look. I'd heard that even temporary black dye can leave a stain, but since I was quite sure I would love it I did it anyway, and I do :D.

RavennaNight
December 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I agree that black is a haircolor you marry, not date. It is there forever, unless you wanna damage the color out of it. Sybilla I have always loved your red color! It is gorgeous:inlove:. A temp that may wash out would be the manic panic, but I think porosity also has to do with it. Is your hair porous? If it is, it may just suck up the dye more permanently than you may want it to. Maybe streaks? I remember you have thought about this for a while, so I remember this isn't frivolous. You have considered it long...

Peter
December 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I don't know much about dyeing hair, but maybe you'd prefer photoshopping a picture of yourself instead of taking a chance with temporary color? Just a suggestion! :)

JenniferNoel
December 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
There's always the options of trying on a wig to determine what it does for your skin color, and, of course, photoshop.
That's what I used to do every time I was in need of a change of color. And if you do decide to go black, don't use permanent chemical dye, which, as you probably know, can be very damaging to certain hair types... good luck!

ericthegreat
December 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I feel a huge urge to color my hair black.I like my hair but I´ve allways changed the way I look often and I´m searching everywhere for a temporary color so I can see if I like it.Any advice would be helpful for me.I guess I´m buying a temporary color tomorrow..help?

Sibylla, coming from someone who has experience with haircolor both as a young hairstylist and as someone who recently had red highlights done on his hair, let me tell you right now that since you yourself have said that you like to change your hair color around quite often black is NOT the color you want to choose. Black is the hardest color to get out of any hairtype, believe me I know.

When it comes to black as a haircolor, it is almost as permanent a commitment as henna. Choosing black really means swearing to stick by black for at least a few years. Black can stain your hair for up to a year after you last colored your hair black. And even after that year the black really sticks around. It takes a VERY HIGH volume of bleach to strip black out of your hair, and this high volume of bleach must be left on for HOURS, so of course that will SERIOUSLY DAMAGE your hair no doubt.

There are a variety of temporary dark hair rinses that you can apply to your hair. These typically last for around 10 washes. You can look for these temporary hair color rinses at any professional beauty supply, I think Sally's may carry them. And of course, for a totally unchemical way of darkening your hair you can simply wear it soaking wet or heavily oiled with say coconut oil and put it up in an LHC inspired updo or bun. :D

rockstarmommy
December 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM
wertyuijkrft

coscass
December 14th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Black can stain some people's hair, so you might want to do a strand test on your attatched hair and leave it a few weeks to see if it washes out.

I used a temporary black dye for Hallowe'en which still hasn't washed out yet but staining would be welcome anyway. I had no damage at all; no colour is being removed which is what usually causes the damage.

I thought indigo was like henna, which is permenant and often messy? I wouldn't go for that if you like changing things up. Black is a VERY hard colour to get out. I remember I had to wash with dish soap which DESTROYED my hair to try to get the black to fade. It took about a year of growing it out and putting dark browns on top of it before the black was finally gone.

sibylla
December 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Yeeeees!!!!You guys are THE BEST!I almost wrote my question to Facebook ..but then my tiny brain remembered that LHC is the obvious forum.I´m soooo glad I did. You have all helped me decide to take it easy with the black.Eric you made me rembember that it is a long time comitment.
Thanks to every one of you.You rock!!!!!!!!

Spike
December 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Hmmm . . . I remember when I used a temporary fuschia on my BSL hair in college. The fuschia was fine on the virgin hair--came right out in a couple of washes--BUT on the ends that had seen dye before . . .

Oh yeah. Two tone hair for sure. I did the temp dye job in March, and STILL had fuschia in August. It faded from purpley-red to funny pink, but the marker line was clear. I didn't care; it amused me.*

Be VERY VERY VERY sure that this is something you wouldn't mind sticking around for a while.

* Edited to add--at the time. At the time, I found it amusing. Nowadays, I don't think it would be so cute (20 years later) or taken so well (working in the legal profession).

Messyhair
December 17th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Even using Manic Panic on my hair is permanent. It's not supposed to be, and it does fade over time, but I still end up having to grow it out. It never completely washes out. I've never tried their black, but if anything I would think it would be worse than the other colours!

Leena7
December 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I also recommend manic panic. It may stain for a while, but eventually it will fade out. My boyfriend has virgin hair and the color faded for him after about one and a half weeks. I have previously dyed hair and I did a manic panic streak in it and the streak is visible now, about 3 weeks later. The hair color is very gentle, so I don't think it would hurt your hair too much.

hennaphile
December 17th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I heard that elumen is great :)

I'd say indigo, but that' about as big of a commitment as you can make :P

Crysta
December 17th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Gosh I wish i'd had know that alittle while ago heh >_> meh it's so true.

Stargaser and MP all the way for me >.> at least those things DO what they say.:mad:

bumblebums
December 17th, 2009, 07:21 AM
What is your natural color? Are your eyebrows dark? Black can really wash out your complexion, so be careful--unless that's what you are going for.

I dyed my hair black for several years, first when it was just a few inches long and then later when it was shoulder length. It worked well, made my hair look shiny and striking, but then I started to worry about health effects of using dark chemical dyes long-term. It took two years to grow out and was a major pain in the ass. I wouldn't do it again.

GlassEyes
December 17th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Buy a new hair toy or try a new style. Black is pretty but isn't always temporary no matter if you use a rinse that is supposed to wash out. Just keep in mind that you'll either have to grow it out, cut it off, or keep dyeing it if you go too dark. And there's possible damage. Have you condisered something like Indigo instead of box dye if you really want a change?
Indigo is often permanent--it does tend to fade, but for some, it doesn't.

Also, you can always color-oops it out if it gets to be too much for you. That said, black is the hardest color to get rid of, so be sure that this isn't just a 'I want change' thing that you'll regret later.

Edit: I meant color oops out the black, not the indigo. Though, given, I don't know how well color oops interacts with henna, especially if you had dyed hair before you hennaed--which you might not have, but it's worth mentioning.