PDA

View Full Version : Can you have healthy hair & still use a curling iron?

coscass
December 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I hardly ever blow dry. If I do, it's after my hair has had an hour+ to dry and it's just too cold to run around with wet hair anymore. I also harly ever flat iron or curl.

Lately, I've been wanting to use a curling iron on my hair, for bigger curls, just for something different. If I flat iron/curl once a month, maybe even once every few months, is this really going to destroy my hair?

What about if I do a low heat setting and no product? Thanks in advance.

indigonight
December 14th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I'd say dont do it, I ruined my hair with a curling iron.... the heat even once a month is a lot and gives cumulative damage. Try putting wet hair in rollers or using scrunch n mousse techniques or even bun techniques. You will find some great vids on youtube as to how to achieve curls naturally without heat damaging hair. Love your hair and be natural with it and use non heat techniques to achieve just as lovely looks.
xox

spidermom
December 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Use a silicone heat protector at least. Silicone is a very poor conductor of heat, so it keeps the heat concentrated more at the surface, although if you hold your hair on the curling iron long enough, the heat will penetrate and cause the water in your hair to turn to steam, at which point it will erupt forth and leave a white dot (weak spot) in your cuticle, which will eventually break off. I think curling irons are even worse than flat irons because most people hold the hair clamped onto the rod longer to achieve the curl, whereas flat irons are generally passed rather rapidly along the hair shaft.

enfys
December 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM
For lasting curls I'd rather do a wet set with pin curls. You can use product or just dampen your hair. I find that lasts longer than any heat curls would.

As for if heat will damage your hair, it totally depends on your hair type and how you handle the heat tool. For some people, one use is enough to cause irreparable damage while others can use heat several times a week and get no damage.

mommy101405
December 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I agree with doing some type of wet set if its more than a one time or once in a while thing. If you are going to use the curling iron I would use a heat protectant spray.

Some hair handles "damage" better than others. Mine does not but I do it anyway :o. I do find that using a protectant spray helps a little when i use a curling iron or straight iron.

I do "damaging" things to my hair from time to time. Mostly when I am having a grown up night out or going out with another couple, something like that when I would dress us a bit more. I have always had shortish hair and never had many options of how to style it. Now that its long I do sometimes find it tedious to care for properly but I like to have fun with it. If I can't have fun with it I'm going to chop it. But that's just my opinion.

I think if you want some curls go for it but be prepared for some damage if you go the heat route.

maskedrose
December 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I have great luck with putting my hair in large rollers when its slightly damp and letting it dry the rest of the way in those. I get big, bouncy smooth waves/curls and it looks much more polished than my usual waviness.

Honey39
December 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I'm not terribly uptight about my hair, and I straighten it every two or three months. I tend to do it less and less because I take loads of pics, and I can honestly say that the natural texture just looks better - maybe it's the same with you?

But if you do want to curl, there are ways of doing it without heat - rag curls, spongy curls, braid waves. I would try those as well. But once a month - meh, not the end of the world, you should *enjoy* your hair!

Curlsgirl
December 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I also have been more about just enjoying my hair lately. I am not picky about it being split and damage free either though. I get highlights regularly and blow dry some letting my stylist do it usually and then maybe even run over with a flat iron very lightly. Again though I am not going to be too disappointed if I never reach great lengths either. I like my natural texture but I really like doing different things sometimes too. You could try it and be ready to cut if you have to.

Anywhere
December 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I think the decision is partially based on your hair's ability to hold a curl. My friend with straight hair spent a good hour or so using hot curlers on her hair along with lots of mousse and hairspray only to have it fall flat in half an hour.

If your hair's like that then it's not worth the irreparable damage.