PDA

View Full Version : my kid sister has a question

juliaxena
December 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM
My sister has waist lenght dyed hair that is pretty split. She started S&Ding because she doesn't want to cut. However she also has sort of broken looking ends (several times) that appear a few days after washing. They don't break off and they disappear when she washes and conditions. I reckon this is also damage but she thinks it only happens because of pins and hair elastics and it is not damage. She will however believe what you guys say so please tell what you think so that I can show her. Thanks

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'm trying really hard to create a mental picture of what's being explained here, and I'm having trouble.

I have a feeling that you're correct that it's damage. The part that gets me is that it disappears when she shampoos/conditions. Does her conditioning include any leave-ins, such as with silicones, such as shiners or anything for say, flat ironing such as some kind of gel or serum (whether for other topical use and not flat ironing, or for flat ironing?, and that sort of thing? If yes, these products could explain the seeming 'disappearance' of damage as they smooth over and film over these things so it's harder to see.

Splits come in a wide variety of looks. Not all splits are the classic Y shape. Some will be multiple splits looking a bit like a broom on a tip. Others are multiple splitting off for several points in a given area of the length of a strand, shooting out to one or the other side, or both. Some are what I call donuts, meaning one end hasn't split off from the main hair strand, but if either end is pinched and then both ends pushed together, then a hole can sort of be seen. Some are just white dots and no split at all, yet the hair bends at 90 degrees. This is a burst cuticle and hair is very delicate at this point and capable of breaking off yet many times will not break off.

Have her look in strong lighting, against a backdrop that is opposite her hair color, such as if blonde, look against a dark blue or black backdrop.

Strong lighting is halogen light or sunlight. Typical, average, lights in a house is insufficient for seeing everything.

PLUS when a strand is turned about, or a section of hair is turned about in the light, one can see different things that moments ago weren't discernable at all.

Damage can be coated over. Nothing repairs damage. Damage is damage.

She doesn't have to cut off, though, all of it. She can do smaller trims over an extended period of time to slowly remove damage.

heidi w.

juliaxena
December 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
She uses Garnier Triple nutrition. I don't think it has cones. She doesn't uses serums, says it makes the problem worse.

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM
It's probably too small to photo, PLUS I can't always see photos from my work 'puter. I don't have a 'puter at home.

heidi w.