PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a dry shampoo

mommy101405
December 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I have a very oily scalp and I have found that dry shampoo can be my friend, the problem is I can't stand the smell. I have tried both the Oscar Blandi and the Ojon rub out and both have very strong smells. Has anyone found one with less of a smell or at least a more pleasant one?

Kris Dove
December 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Unscented talcum powder, like Simple, would be ideal. I use this on my bangs sometimes. :)

Liave Ekeli
December 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Talcum powder is probably the best if you want to go completely without scent. I don't know if this is available where you are, but I've used a Lee Stafford one on occasion. I think it's called "Poker Straight Dry Shampoo". It's scented quite strongly (or so I think) but I think the smell is pleasant.
I've never tried any of those you mention, so I can't make a comparison.

mommy101405
December 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Where would I find talcum powder? I've tried baby powder and don't find it works quite as well.

melikai
December 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Bumble and Bumble also make different dry shampoos for different colours of hair, last I looked.

If you want to make your own, you can use corn starch and add your own essential oils as scent.
Also, Gladtobemom has posted her Nanny Pauline's airing powder recipe on the boards, which is a dry shampoo recipe.

ravenreed
December 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Talcum powder would not be great for use around the head. It is not good to accidentally inhale talc. Go with corn starch instead, it is safer. (I have dark hair and corn starch always ends up leaving telltale signs that I used it, but others have had good luck with it.)

I like the Batiste dry shampoo, but I prefer the original scent to the pink can. It is still somewhat of a strong scent, but it seems to fade quickly. I don't know if you have Sally's near you, but that is where I get mine. I use it on the days where just the very front is oily, but I don't have time to wash and dry before I have to leave.

I have also started just washing the very front and top with a shampoo bar, from time to time. I like the bars for this because they rinse out very easily. Since I do it infrequently, I don't notice any build up and just a cup or two of water seems to rinse the little bit I use right out. I only do this if I have time to let it dry, but it doesn't seem to take very long at all.

melikai
December 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
(I have dark hair and corn starch always ends up leaving telltale signs that I used it, but others have had good luck with it.)

Same. Any dry "shampoo" I've tried leaves obvious (to me) signs that I used it. I've never tried commerical ones though.

ktani
December 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I love the creativity of this thread using cocoa powder as a dry shampoo and from your avatar, it should be ok on your hair colour.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29787

ravenreed
December 15th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I use the Batiste (it's commercial), leave it on for about 5 minutes, brush it out with my tangle teaser and follow up with my bbb. This gets everything out! I make sure to flip through everywhere I sprayed for any patches I might have missed. I love this stuff. It doesn't make my hair feel weird or dry or stripped. When I wash the next day, there is no residue of any kind to remind me that I used it.

Same. Any dry "shampoo" I've tried leaves obvious (to me) signs that I used it. I've never tried commerical ones though.

florenonite
December 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I use arrowroot powder. It's found in the baking aisle. No scent, and it's not visible on my hair.

MotherConfessor
December 16th, 2009, 08:03 PM
How does one get dry shampoo out? Do you have to comb it out or can you get it out in a more curly friendly way?

ravenreed
December 16th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I think it must be brushed out, but I only brush where I spray it, which is the roots in the front. Could curly hair tolerate that or is it too much brushing?

florenonite
December 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
How does one get dry shampoo out? Do you have to comb it out or can you get it out in a more curly friendly way?

I don't brush it out. For me, brushing when my hair is greasy is counterproductive, as it makes it lay even flatter against my head, thus making it look even more greasy. Instead, I leave it on my hair/scalp for a couple minutes, then bend over and rub at it vigorously, yet gently (like I would shampooing), using the pads of my fingers. This has the added benefit of adding a bit of volume while I style my hair so it looks less flat and greasy.

Beware, though, I've got very ashy hair to begin with, so making my hair slightly greyer isn't as noticeable as it might be on hair that's warmer or darker than mine.

mommy101405
December 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Well that depends on how you mean get it out. If you want it totally washed out you'll need to shampoo it out. But if you are just using it to fight the grease you don't want it actually out. You put it on your scalp and massage it in really well so I don't think it would hurt your curls. I do usually comb through mine to make sure there aren't any areas you can see the powder since I have dark hair. I don't find the combing as necessary with the spray ones as the ones where you actually put the powder on the scalp.

Teakafrog
December 17th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I use the Batiste from Sally's and I love it. I don't brush it out, I just finger comb it through so as not to tangle my curls.

florenonite
December 18th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Well that depends on how you mean get it out. If you want it totally washed out you'll need to shampoo it out. But if you are just using it to fight the grease you don't want it actually out. You put it on your scalp and massage it in really well so I don't think it would hurt your curls. I do usually comb through mine to make sure there aren't any areas you can see the powder since I have dark hair. I don't find the combing as necessary with the spray ones as the ones where you actually put the powder on the scalp.

:confused:

My impression of the way dry shampoo work is that the powder soaks up oil (I have no experience with the spray ones) and, when it's soaked up some oil, you brush it or otherwise manually remove it from the hair.

I certainly couldn't leave it in all day; I suspect I've got mild eczema on my scalp (my doctor has said I have it elsewhere, and it feels similar) and it would be really irritating.

mommy101405
December 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
:confused:

My impression of the way dry shampoo work is that the powder soaks up oil (I have no experience with the spray ones) and, when it's soaked up some oil, you brush it or otherwise manually remove it from the hair.

I certainly couldn't leave it in all day; I suspect I've got mild eczema on my scalp (my doctor has said I have it elsewhere, and it feels similar) and it would be really irritating.

You may be right. I find once I rub it in real well I don't see the powder anymore. I either comb or brush because my hair is messed up from me rubbing me scalp. Maybe its the difference between the aerosol and the actual powder. I use the aerosol.

Captain Nikki
December 22nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
I have used Batiste & found it worked well. I mainly used it on my bangs & combed them thoroughly after a few minutes because otherwise you could see it in my dark hair. I haven't bought another can after it ran out because i suspected it may have been making my semi fade quicker than it should have.

Princess J
December 31st, 2009, 03:13 PM
I use Batiste, and I recently bought the version for black hair, it's great! They also do one for brunette hair. Anyone with light coloured hair can use the original versions.

curls2grow
December 31st, 2009, 05:38 PM
I have never heard of Batiste; will have to check it out at Sally's. I wonder what color I should get for gray and dark brown/black hair?

pretty in pink
January 1st, 2010, 08:35 PM
I like Klorane's dry shampoo. I typically spray it on my roots, brush it out very well (since I am a brunette) and pin my hair up in a french twist. The dry shampoo gives a nice texture and volume near my roots. It's going to give your hair a matte look, though, not shiny like fresh washed hair. Also, my scalp still itches since I haven't actually shampooed...

I've also tried bumble and bumble's in the color black, and I didn't like how that one left my hair sticky-- and if I touched my hair during the day, my fingers would be black from the dry shampoo!

curls2grow
January 2nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
I saw a certain brand of dry shampoo mentioned in several magazines, but I don't remember the brand. IIRC, it came in a cylinder-shaped container and had sort of "vintage" looking artwork on the label. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I am bummed that I didn't pay better attention when I saw the website to purchase it.

emi77
January 3rd, 2010, 06:20 AM
Batiste has saved me on many a greasy haired occasion.
I find it works best if you leave it a few minutes to soak up the oils before brushing out (or finger-combing. Both work.)

However it is very chemically and has a strong scent which I personally don't like. But once my hair is up I can't really smell it anyway!

I have tried and failed at using talcum powder-it just didn't absorb enough oil for me.