PDA

View Full Version : Several questions

WelshLocks
December 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Hey everybody!
It's been a little while since I posted that I was almost at waist,and I've run across a few problems that I need help with. For the past few months, my hair has gotten really tangly for the lastfew inches of it. I have switched shampoo and conditioner, but I don't use any oil because I'm afraid of over-oiling.(<<irrational fear) Can anyone suggest anything to help me out? I use a leave-in conditioner and I do CO,CWC, and normal wash my hair(shampoo then conditioner)

My next set of issues is my length. I am really pleased that I am almost at waist(I have less than 2 inches to go), but my layers are giving me a copious amount of issues. I can't braid or do hardly any buns because my layers are too short. My shortest one is at collar one,then at upper BSL and then the longest part of my hair is at almost waist. So what can i do to get rid of my layers while keeping most of my length. I would have to cut my hair all the way back to collar bone to have it completely one length. Should i wait to start this until i hit waist?I'll be there by the spring.

Thanks! :)

Lamb
December 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM
The tangling could be caused by buildup. Have you tried to clarify? Or maybe you need a small trim, split ends also make tangles worse.

Crysta
December 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM
sounds like you need a small trim or alittle S&D I wouldn't cu tyour hair all back to your layers if you don't want to, you seem really exited to be at thsi length.
Just give your ends alot of babying.
that's what I would do anyway. x)

GoddesJourney
December 14th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I would say you're really excited to be almost at waist. So here's what I would do if I were you... Trim about half an inch. This should get rid of the very worst of your tanglies while not sacrificing more than a month of growth. If this is satisfying to you, wait until spring, when you're at waist, and just maintain that length for six months. That should not only get rid of your damaged ends, but your straggliest layer as well. Meanwhile, you'll be at waist, which is a nice place to be, and you'll be watching your hair get healthier and thicker. Bonus.

WelshLocks
December 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks so much! I really am excited aout being at waist because this is the first time my hair has ever been this long. I haven't done any clarifying. Do you have any suggestions on what to do?I looked through the articles and couldn't find anything that seemed helpful(in my case).

Can any one suggest a long-hair friendly place to get my hair cut?Or should I ask a friend to do it?(I've always been to this really rich,fancy hair salon and they never listen to what i want)Is Fantastic Sams or Super Cuts good?I live in Florida. :/

Thanks. :)

Lamb
December 14th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I haven't done any clarifying. Do you have any suggestions on what to do?I looked through the articles and couldn't find anything that seemed helpful(in my case).
Clarifying means you rid your hair of product buildup with a clear shampoo that contains sulfates. You basically give your hair a good wash from the roots to the tips. Any shampoo that does not contain silicones and rinses clean (for "normal" or "oily" hair) will do. Suave, VO5, are popular.

Can any one suggest a long-hair friendly place to get my hair cut?Or should I ask a friend to do it?(I've always been to this really rich,fancy hair salon and they never listen to what i want)Is Fantastic Sams or Super Cuts good?I live in Florida. :/

Thanks. :)
I don't know about those places, but if you have a friend you trust and who is willing, I'd choose that option. Or trim your hair yourself - there is an article on self-trimming and Feye's method somewhere.

melikai
December 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
To clarify, you can use a shampoo with sulfates in it - the simpler the ingredients the better. Be sure it doesn't have silicones or oils etc. in it.

You can also mix some baking soda with your shampoo, or with a bit of water, and wash with it. Do a vinegar rinse afterwards to restore the PH of your scalp (mix a splash of vinegar with a large amount of water and pour over your hair).

Many people here use Feye's self trimming method: http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

Hope this helps!

halo_tightens
December 14th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I agree to start off by clarifying and see if it helps. Just don't forget-- your hair will be stripped and dry after clarifying, so make sure to follow that harsh shampooing with something very moisturizing! :)

sherigayle
December 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I would put off cutting until you baby your hair for a while. If you're afraid of over-oiling, try a light oil like Sweet Almond Oil. There are a lot of moisturizing things you can try. I just recently tried an SMT for the first time and it was wonderful. You can also use your regular conditioner as a leave in. I usually put in a lot of conditioner in my hair before I get out of the shower when my hair is still really wet. Our hair types are similar, so maybe more conditioner will help. Good luck. It is exciting to get to waist. I finally feel like my hair is long.

shockinglength
December 14th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I agree to start off by clarifying and see if it helps. Just don't forget-- your hair will be stripped and dry after clarifying, so make sure to follow that harsh shampooing with something very moisturizing! :)

Is clarifieing with baking soda just as good as using SLS?

WelshLocks
December 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Wow this was all so helpful! Thanks! I'll definitely invest in a SMT paired with a clarifying shampoo. I've been meaning to do a moisture treatment recently. Maybe that's why my hair has been such a hassle. I still want to get my hair to one length though or at least have the layers not so far apart. I will probaly wait until I hit full waist before I start maintaining and getting my layers in order. I guess the good thing is that I don't want my hair to be much longer than waist...ever. I'm not sure I would be able to handle anything longer.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Anje
December 14th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Is clarifieing with baking soda just as good as using SLS?
It should be just as effective at removing buildup from your hair, yes. However, many of us find the effects of baking soda to be much harsher on our hair than SLS and avoid it for that reason.

zule
December 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I agree with Anje. I use Neutrogena instead of the bicarb routine. I only use it once every six to eight weeks. That's all I need. Soda was way too harsh for me, and too much work. :)

Once your layers are a little longer, french braid(s) will be good. You can also do updos with them.

I agree with everyone who said that the tangles might be coming from weakened or straggly ends. I always get them, so my husband trims them. Then they're fine.

Once I went to a salon to have a half inch trimmed. The first cut, she took off four inches. I'll never trust a salon again. Never. My husband or a friend will do it. Just my opinion.

JamieLeigh
December 16th, 2009, 10:08 AM
The only way to rid yourself of layers without sacrificing your current length, is to maintain and cut off the new growth from the bottom a bit at a time until it all catches up. If you're SO close to waist you can almost taste it, you might wait until you hit that milestone and just start maintaining there. :flower: