PDA

View Full Version : Another regrower: a sad story of scissor happiness

lucys
December 14th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hello everyone,

You might have spotted me around over the last few weeks. I thought I'd re-introduce myself properly, since I've been away for a while.

I am regrowing my hair after chopping it all off. Well, not quite all, but most of it.

This is it at its almost longest back in September 2008:

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy180/lucysherriff/Sept08hair.jpg

I was about five months pregnant at this point, and getting to the stage of being very irritated by how thick it was getting. (I know this is probably not something I ought to be complaining about. The friend who took this picture often reminds me of this.)

Anyway, shortly after this was taken I had a three or four inch trim. By November I was totally scissor happy and chopped it back to somewhere around shoulder. (I put a lot of this poor decision making down to pregnancy hormones...)

In January I had the baby (number 2) and was far too busy to think about hair, so it regrew to probably about armpit length.

Then about two months ago, I cut it to chin length (see my avatar). This got rid of a lot of heavy layering, and means the post-baby hair regrowth will catch up with the rest of the hair sooner, so I don't regret it. But it does mean I am starting over again. And I find I miss my hair, such as it was.

I've always been pretty ambivalent about my hair. It is quite thick, and I do find that as it gets longer it takes ages to wash and dry. I also find that I start putting off going swimming because I can't face washing my hair. (I have a swim cap, but some water always gets in).

But I find that after this last cut I really miss having hair, and really wish I hadn't cut so much of it off over the last year.

So, I am hoping you lovely people will reassure me that the cut is not a disaster, that I will be able to have my hair back and so on, and remind me that it is worth it, especially when I hit the mid-back abyss. :-)

Thank you for your time, and an advance thank you for your support over the next three years or so that it will take me to reach my goal.
:)

ReadingRenee
December 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Welcome. Im pretty much in the same boat. :) I cut my hair after my baby from waist to below my ears. Id say now its a little below my jaw. And I don't regret cutting my hair either because I really needed to get rid of the henna but yeah... its going to be awhile before I have my hair length back.

Your hair looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it grow longer this time around. :)

aahavaa
December 14th, 2009, 08:34 AM
You have beautiful hair!! Lots of encouragement on your journey back to long hair !
Will look forward to all the progress pics :)

hmmm
December 14th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I love your hair colour. Its interesting that the thickness bothered you... I wonder what sort of problems I'll have to face when mine gets that long. Good luck regrowing!

Crysta
December 14th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Good luck, you have beautiful hair. I'm quite jelous of your nice wavy texture

spidermom
December 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM
From one thick head of hair to another - I feel your pain. Do you have problems with pyramid hair now? I did with a blunt cut at shoulder length.

The color and condition of your hair looks outstanding. Happy re-growing!

lucys
December 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Thank you all!

ReadingRenee: nice to know I am not the only one. :-) Did you find the texture of your hair changed after having a baby? Mine was definitely curlier before. I'm interested to see how it grows out this time.

hmmm: I think the problem is that I really like the feeling of clean hair, but am too lazy to wash it every other day once it starts taking a while...

Crysta: Thanks. :-) Like I said, not sure if I still have as much wave after the arrival of baby 2. Those are bun waves, though, so I guess I'll still be able to do that.

spidermom: Pyramid hair is not too much of an issue, thankfully. The cut is not totally blunt. Last time I did that I did end up with what looked like a mushroom on my head. Never again! I think it'll be worse as it heads towards shoulder and the shorter layers hit the collarbone region...

Chrissy
December 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
It will be ok. There are many of us out there who have cut and are regrowing. :) I'm one of them.

georgia_peach
December 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Hi Lucy!:D

kmangus
December 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM
:grouphug: yay for growers!! Thats about...oh...all of us :)

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Not a disaster.

Meanwhile, when you have time, use some of this growing time to learn about things such as some tips on how to dry heavy, thick hair a bit faster. I recently posted in some threads that are on the first 2 pages of the MANE FORUM today and last week, on this topic.

(Look in blow drier or my hair hates air drying)

With all that body, you might be a candidate for Condition Only washes, of a certain type. Look into Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey. Talked about that in threads today, or at least diluted shampoo, or low- or no-poo shampoo. (Minus SLS).

And congratulations on your new baby!
heidi w.

funnybunny668
December 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Welcome, from another re-grower!! :)

luluj
December 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Welcome, from another re-grower!! :)

DITTO!! There are a number of us here at TLHC who are growing out "again!" ;)

lucys
December 15th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Not a disaster.

Meanwhile, when you have time, use some of this growing time to learn about things such as some tips on how to dry heavy, thick hair a bit faster. I recently posted in some threads that are on the first 2 pages of the MANE FORUM today and last week, on this topic.

(Look in blow drier or my hair hates air drying)

With all that body, you might be a candidate for Condition Only washes, of a certain type. Look into Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey. Talked about that in threads today, or at least diluted shampoo, or low- or no-poo shampoo. (Minus SLS).

And congratulations on your new baby!
heidi w.

Thank you!

And thanks for the pointers, I'll have a look. I get on quite well with CO washes, it is just a question of finding the time to sit for 20 minutes... :-) I might give dilution a go for the time being, since a 5 minute shower is a more achievable thing at the moment.

hmmm
December 15th, 2009, 04:01 AM
hmmm: I think the problem is that I really like the feeling of clean hair, but am too lazy to wash it every other day once it starts taking a while...

I'm too lazy to wash my hair too, and mine's still short! :p I'm just hoping it'll be easier to ignore once it's possible to put it out of the way.

Congratulations on your baby!

Bonkers57
December 15th, 2009, 06:53 AM
(Raises hand) Another re-grower here; in fact, I'm in a constant state of re-growing :p Slowly learning to leave it alone...

And another congrats on your baby!

ReadingRenee
December 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Thank you all!

ReadingRenee: nice to know I am not the only one. :-) Did you find the texture of your hair changed after having a baby? Mine was definitely curlier before. I'm interested to see how it grows out this time.

I didn't notice a difference in my hair texture after my baby was born, either one of them. I noticed my feet were bigger! (not sure which one I'd rather have... :D) I had a lot of hairloss with my first and not very much with my second but as far as I can tell I still have the same amount of wave.

kimannabella
December 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Aw, don't worry it will be down in no time.

My mum has every so often turned up on my doorstep having chopped off her hair into a chin length bob, then what seems like eighteen month later is creeping past waist again. I think she's done it twice now? since I finished college.

lucys
December 16th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I didn't notice a difference in my hair texture after my baby was born, either one of them. I noticed my feet were bigger! (not sure which one I'd rather have... :D) I had a lot of hairloss with my first and not very much with my second but as far as I can tell I still have the same amount of wave.

Ah yes, the bigger feet thing. Me too. :sigh:

My first has a mass of dark curls when she was born (proper ringlets by the time she was 8 months). They've straightened out a bit now (nearly 4) but the joke was that she had stolen my curls. Not sure if number 2 has had the same effect.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations and hair support. Much appreciated. :-)

Lucy

CrisDee
December 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Welcome back from another regrower :) I'm trying to think of my regrowth this way - my old BSL hair wasn't in great shape from years of harsh treatment and chemical dye. Now my hair has no chemical dye, just henna and cassia, and thanks to this wonderful site I now know how to take much better care of my hair - so when it grows out it will be ever so much better than before! Yours seems to be quite the same - you have a nice fairly blunt cut, having gotten rid of the layers, so it should be fairly effortless to grow out a nice head of fabulous hair from there. Happy regrowing! :)

JamieLeigh
December 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Welcome back! I'm glad to see you're re-growing...the pic you posted looks fantastically shiny, wavy and healthy. :crush: At least you've got a good starting place, and you can make sure it's all growing out together at once (if that's your desire and goal). :flower: