PDA

View Full Version : question for bottled blondes (I might cut also)

Michiru
December 14th, 2009, 03:27 AM
This is the second time within a month this urge has struck me so I have to ask. Those of you who dye or highlight your hair blonde, how is the condition? Good shine? Are you growing it out? Crunchy? When I had blonde hair when I was younger it was not in good condition but that was because I was using a brush and not treating it well. I think I could keep it in good condition if I keep my routine the same so as not to abuse it to much. Is it possible or a sacrifice that has to take place? I read that thin hair will get thicker because the shaft will swell. Is the swelling the ugly fake look so many people have that looks like hay?

My hair is actually just passing tail bone but I'm thinking of cutting off 10 inches to sell then going golden blonde. I currently have henna from the ears on down. I would prefer to cut less but I know I can't sell my hair after it has been colored or sell less then 10 inches. I keep swaying back and fourth. I'll be going home from school in a week and don't know if I should take the plunge or wait till summer when blonde is a more popular color.

I'll probably like it but my hair it just now getting long but it will grow back but but but . . .:mad:

non bottle blonds can comment too ;)

Carolyn
December 14th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I color blonde to cover my silvers. Blonde is my natural color. I get it done professionally at an Aveda salon. I didn't want to color at home anymore and I think Aveda color was the best option for me. I think my hair is in pretty good shape. I'm going to guess that if I didn't color, the condition might be a little better. I've always had split prone hair and I still have splits but not much more than I did with virgin hair. I condition A LOT and I mean A LOT. I have good shine and I think my hair looks healthy. I've cut back to waist with a series of small trim over the past several months. Now I plan to grow again.

Michiru
December 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Really your waist length in your photo? It looks a lot longer.

Is Avdea salon one of the best to go to? I guess I'm asking what make you choose that salon.

missjessiecakes
December 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
If you want it go for it. I bleached my entire head bright ash blond from a dark chocolate brown. Now I had to get about 2 inches cut off that time but I had no splits after that initial trim. As long as you deep condition it you'll be fine.

I've also just put crap loads of highlights in my hair. Which took me from a medium brown to a golden blonde. If you decide to go blond for all that it good and nice go to a salon or a cosmetology school. Promise me? The stuff at the store is not worth your money. As long as you take good care of it I dont see why you cant go ahead and be blonde if thats what you want. :D

spidermom
December 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Oh my goodness; your hair is so lovely right now - color and everything. It's very hard to get henna out - bleaching brings it up to a bright light orange. Bleaching it enough to get henna completely out destroys your hair.

Gypsygirl
December 14th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I get foil highlights 4-5 times a year. My hair doesn't seem to mind...

Shanarana
December 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I was just thinking the same thing as spidermom. With henna hair and going blond it is going to be a real pain in the b***.

justgreen
December 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I get regular foil highlights, although i'm behind right now due to illness. My hair is between butt length and classic. It's not perfect , but i don't have many problems with it.

My siggy pic is my first picture here on LHC .

Shanarana
December 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
By the way....your hair is so pretty now, you have great shine and condition. I would do at least the 2 week rule. I used to have urges to change my hair all the time when I was younger, and I always regretted it. If you do anything, get more advise here and go to a professional.

Heidi_234
December 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM
WHOA :thud:
Just got back from your profile - and I would really really like to discourage you. :wink: Seriously - your hair is so beautiful. If you cut it to shoulder length, it would take 3 years or more to grow all that back. That's a long time.

Blond is not you natural color, which means you'll have even more trouble to keep up with it then the henna. Are you sure you want this? I just have the mental image of your have after you bleach it blond - not as shiny, not as soft looking, not as long anymore, well I don't like this image. But that's up to you. :flower:

melikai
December 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I used to highlight, and mind you I didn't do the roots-only application, which is less hard on your hair, but my hair was very dry and fried. I didn't have to lighten that much from my natural colour, and the more you need to lighten, the more damage you'll incur.

I thought my hair looked fine at the time, but now when I look back at pictures I cringe! Now when I run my fingers down my hair, I can feel where the old bleach starts because there is a definite texture and quality change.

If your goal is very healthy shiny hair, I would not recommend touching it with bleach.

Curlsgirl
December 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I would suggest if you do anything to try some highlights at the salon. Lightening your whole head would mean bleach and would be very damaging. I would NOT do that unless I was prepared to cut a LOT. If you are then go ahead. Not trying to discourage you but please be sure you want to do that. Your hair is beautiful as it is but I understand wanting a change.

indigonight
December 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
You have gorgeous hair... do not bleach it!!!!
I used to have lovely thick hair and then I bleached it and at first it was fine but since I had to retouch every few months, it soon became dried nasty gross fine straw, frizzy and ewww...
then i went to just highlighting because I liked being blonde and it got a little better but it was not until I quit using bleach- now I just use henndigo- that my hair became glorious, thick and shiny again... bleaching is chemical suicide, please do not ruin your lovely long hair....also do not cut it... it will take you years to get that length back again...

halo_tightens
December 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
If you were simply asking about bleaching your hair, I'd say that it's up to you and you should do what you like. BUT-- your hair is hennaed!! That makes all the difference in the world. You may not be able to get it all the way to blonde, and if you do, the amount of bleaching required to get it there will destroy your hair. Seriously, it's almost guaranteed to suck. I wouldn't risk it.

kmangus
December 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Blonde is very high maintanace. I concur with the people who think you should refrain from bleaching...your hair is wonderful BTW!

Michiru
December 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM
So it seems like the best thing to be would be to grow out the henna. Well that will give me plenty of time of think. My natural color is actually somewhere between a light brown and a dark blonde depending on the color swatch and how much sun my hair gets.

I had forgotten what picure I put in my profile and had to look again. That was the day after I got back from the salon. The layers really don't stick out like that and it tangles with in a minute of being outside. I guess I'm jest haveing a mosment of hair hate. :mad: I keep wishing I would go grey so I could use cassia and be blonde again. While I can pull off red I look best in blonde. Oh, and 10 inches would put in at mid back. I would still be longer then BS length.

I thought maybe there was some gentle ways to lighten that were more natural. But against with the henna that might be difficult. Well, expect me to be back, I'm probably going to asking the same question again at some future point. It's getting to the point where the only updo I can do it getting hard to do and everything is just weird. Plus, my hair balls are practically the size of my cat. :rolleyes:

kmangus
December 14th, 2009, 07:51 PM
If your hair is naturally light brown/dark blonde/cendre then you could always grow it out and use honey to lighten it naturally :) Or use Sun In if you are impatient. That would mean lots more growing time, but it is your choice ultimately.

Demetrue
December 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM
You hair color and length in your profile picture look gorgeous. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. I can't imagine it would still look that rich and glossy if you bleached it lighter.

Kuchen
December 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Just to reinforce what everyone is saying about the HENNA. Bleach isn't neccessarily a deathknell for long hair – there are plenty of members here who are proof of that, but bleaching out henna is... problematic.