PDA

View Full Version : 2-in-1s?

whiteisle
December 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I was wondering if 2-in-1s strike the middle ground between CO and regular shampoo, of course followed by conditioner. Thoughts?

amaiaisabella
December 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I've always found they are gentler than regular shampoo but not as moisturizing as CO (which is good for me, CO weighs my hair down). I follow with a leave-in on my ends rather than a regular conditioner as I don't need that much moisture other than for detangling purposes. I used the Suave Kids line based off the L'Oreal Kids one :)

Quixii
December 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Do those tend to be sulphate and cone free? (I'm having a horrible time finding sulphate and cone free shampoos, or cone free conditioners. >.<)

missjessiecakes
December 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I do that. I use the kids 2 in 1 because I like the smell. Then my favorite coconut conditioner. I like it on my hair. It works for me.

TheEndlessOcean
December 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
That's a great idea actually, sometimes I feel like my hair needs a bit more cleaning than CO gives, but all I have right now is clarifying shampoo :p

Yozhik
December 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I bet 2 in 1s are good, since it's the basic principle of COs, but why is it that I've had numerous hairdressers tell me it's really bad for your hair?:confused:

Lamb
December 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Here is the thread I started on the subject, perhaps it's useful:
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33664

I personally like the L'Oreal for kids 2-in-1 line. You will need a second conditioner, though, or rather a leave-in, after using a 2-in-1.

ETA: I think a 2-in-2 is good for when your hair feels like it needs more thorough cleaning than CO could do, but you'd rather not lather on the shampoo yet. Also, the L'Oreal 2-in-1 is a very good moisturizing shampoo even for regular S&C. It does need pretty thorough rinsing, though.

missjessiecakes
December 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Here is the thread I started on the subject, perhaps it's useful:
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33664

I personally like the L'Oreal for kids 2-in-1 line. You will need a second conditioner, though, or rather a leave-in, after using a 2-in-1.

ETA: I think a 2-in-2 is good for when your hair feels like it needs more thorough cleaning than CO could do, but you'd rather not lather on the shampoo yet. Also, the L'Oreal 2-in-1 is a very good moisturizing shampoo even for regular S&C. It does need pretty thorough rinsing, though.

I like the watermelon one :D

Ursula
December 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
2-in-1 products (that is, the shampoo and conditioner in one, such as "Pert" in the US) tend to be conventional sulfate shampoos, with a heavy dose of non-water-soluble silicones for the conditioner. With the intent being that they will cleanse in the conventional sense, but leave behind silicones to provide conditioning.

2-in-1 products work on an entirely different principle than CO wash, which relies on the emulsifiers in the conditioner to dissolve oils in the hair.

In my experience, they can build up rather quickly, as they are designed so that the cleansing agents in the shampoo part don't wash away all the silicones that are added - let alone what is left behind from earlier use.

As such, they aren't a particularly good "intermediate" for CO washers wanting a bit more, as most CO conditioners are either silicone free or have only a small amount of water-soluable 'cones, and they would not remove the silicone from a 2-in-1 wash.

They can be good products for some people, if you know what you are doing with them. You'd want to be aware of the potential for buildup, and clarify as needed.

pinchbeck
December 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM
What about mixing your own 2-in-1? I thought about this last night if adding conditioner to my shampoo would be less drying to my length. It is interesting how this post is verrrry similar to my thoughts last night.

I prefer fragrance-free and cone-free products (it is nice to add my own essential oils and match them to my scalp needs and mood!).

Crysta
December 15th, 2009, 09:22 AM
but why is it that I've had numerous hairdressers tell me it's really bad for your hair?:confused:

Because they are, the don't tend to be phate or cone free, shampoo does one thing, and conditioner Is basicly an after treatment. (although it can be used to clense) And the kid's ones may set off the PH level of your hair aswell, because the PH level in them is usualy the same as tears (to be easier on children's eyes)

Pinchbeck
I think that would be worth a try, mabey you could mix up some, give it a go and tell us how it went? :P

DMARTINEZ
December 15th, 2009, 09:24 AM
What about mixing your own 2-in-1? I thought about this last night if adding conditioner to my shampoo would be less drying to my length. It is interesting how this post is verrrry similar to my thoughts last night.

I prefer fragrance-free and cone-free products (it is nice to add my own essential oils and match them to my scalp needs and mood!).

I do this all the time. Or slather my head like a CO, then add a bit of shampoo on the
scalp and then finish washing. So many variables! :)

Deb

Brownie
December 15th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I tried several cone-free 2-in-1s and they always made my scalp itch :shrug:

Wavelength
December 15th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I tried several cone-free 2-in-1s and they always made my scalp itch :shrug:

I find they give me dandruff after using them for awhile.

Crysta
December 15th, 2009, 11:30 AM
most 2-in-1s will make yoru scalp itchy, flakey, and dandruffy.

that's why I find the head + shoulders 2-in-1 so horribly ironic x)

alys
December 15th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I too have heard 2/1's were pointless, and from sources some of which I trust very much. BUT - almost everyone unfamilliar with CO routine would also think washing hair with conditioner only is pointless. (not that I think that) So I could see that for the CO people, a 2/1might be just the thing to get extra cleansing when you need it. That being said wouldn't it be neat to make your own?