PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain to me please?

starlights
December 13th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Its a issue thats been puzzling me for a long time...:confused:

i have a friend who has lovely length, tailbone hair :)

-however she says she has achieved it with no hard work whatsoever?! can this happen?! :rolleyes::poot:

altho saying this her hair is dry, brittle, and prone to tangles.

other than that its great length and thick to handle...

from what i know here you have to look after hair for it to grow...

i asked my friend and she says she doesnt treat her hair at all, altho her mum did when she was a kid, but now she's 40 she doesnt do much to maintain it except trim and she wears her tailbone hair out 100% everyday in this winter cold weather!

but how did her hair grow and keeps growing with so little love?

it makes no sense to this newby who likes answers. lol :confused:

Dvips
December 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
It can definitely happen. Apparently she has very strong hair that can handle a lot of damage. Some people do. :shrug:

katha
December 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Hair grows wether you treat it well or not. The roots keep on growing, you'll see that on colored hair.
However being "rude" to your hair will show. You might get split ends, I think everyone has them. My hair is happy enough if i shampoo it and put some oil in it once in a while. I don't even use conditioner, normally. Maybe once a month or so, but I don't even think it's that often. It just doesn't need it. So everyone's hair is different.
Of course treating it lovingly will make it look nicer, but it wouldn't be right to say it's impossible to have long hair when you don't do that.

Aero
December 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I have a similar friend. She is mostly slavic so I blame that for her amazing hair growth. She also leaves it down everyday, and it gets so highlighted in the summer it goes from brown to blond. It is possible.

misspriss
December 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Your hair will grow, no matter how badly you treat it. It's the nature of hair.

Some people have good looking hair with very little work, it is just what they are blessed with. Since she has always had long hair, we have no idea how long it took it to grow

starlights
December 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
she has lovely length but it lacks love!!!

its funny becoz she was saying her brothers genes is totally bald and she gets this thick hair, how the world is so unfair!

when i treated my hair unlovingly it would break and never grow ;)

Eniratak
December 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Before the LHC, I grew out my hair that way.
I did nothing to it. And it was always down.
It's always down now. XD. Hair grows even if you don't treat it the best.

spidermom
December 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Damage adds up. Some can get away with mistreating their hair for years, but a little bit of damage every year adds up to a great deal of notable damage over 10+ years. My sister-in-law is a good example of this. As long as I have known her, she has had long hair. She wears it down most of the time and rips a close-toothed comb through it from top to bottom, paying no attention whatsoever to the snapping and popping of breaking hairs. In her early 20s it was classic length and beautiful. 20 years later, her hair is barely tailbone length and looks like small animals chew the ends while she's not looking. No - she hasn't cut it. It has broken off to this point, and it looks like pretty much every hair is split.

lapushka
December 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
You don't have to baby your hair in order for it to grow. It'll grow regardless. When I was a kid and grew to classic, my mom didn't do anything special to it either. She was rough with a comb and brush and she blew it dry - I still had lovely hair. So I take everything with a grain of salt. Best is to apply a thing called benign neglect and to at least try and treat your hair with loving kindness (gently washing, combing, not experimenting too much). Hair is tough, really tough and it can withstand a lot. It'll survive many things, but once you go overboard with a number of consecutive damaging things, the chances that your hair will look all the more terrible increase. The chances it will at one point break off increase.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM
well, i think hair grows better when you DON'T waste any time on it :D the more you touch your hair, the more damage you give to the ends IMO.

Calista
December 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Doing nothing special is not a bad approach at all. "Special" things that should be avoided are heat styling, blow drying, chemical colour, perms, too frequent washes with harsh shampoos.... If her idea of benign neglect is wearing her hair down every day, washing once a week and using a wide-toothed comb on it, she does more for her hair than probably 95% of the average population.

sedonia
December 13th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Growing long hair is more about what you *don't* do than what you do. For people who are accustomed to daily heat styling, perming, coloring, teasing, etc., the changes necessary to grow decently healthy long hair might require alot of adjustment and at first seem like alot of work.

Honey39
December 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hair grows 6 inches a year on average. I've had classic length and hip length hair at various times in my life, with very little effort. My hair tends to grow long quite easily, partly because I used to never bother cutting it. This time I'm loving the journey, I'm pampering my hair, and loving it etc, and it does look better. But provided you're not bleaching it and straightening it all the time, hair *will* grow. This site tends to make us think that you have to oil it, never blow dry, never colour it etc in order for it grow long - but actually, hair grows whether you want it or not. The quality can be improved by the care, but hair really does just grow :) Mine grew long at various stages of my life when I didn't have enough money to go to the hairdresser, and it just sprouted down my back without me really noticing, lol.

jojo
December 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hi Starlight
well most of come onto forums like this because we are having issues with our hair or are seeking easy fast ways to grow, therefore we pick up tips which allow us to optimise our growth and learn new methods which not only allow us to grow our hair (lets face it growing hair isn't hard it does it all on its own!) but also to have healthy looking hair.

For me nice hair means effort as my hair is fine, for others they have resiliant hair but no matter how much people ignore and miss treat their hair eventually it will show in their hair.

Stick with us kid!

ratgirldjh
December 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
My best friend has always had long thick wavy hair. She washes with the cheapest SLS shampoo and uses a leave in conditioner with cones.

Now that she is getting older - her hair is starting to show the abuse. It just never looks really shiny, and it looks 'sad'.

She also flat-irons her hair almost daily - and this could also be what is making it look blah... but anyway - when she was a little younger she used to take better care of her hair - not much better - but better than she is now.

And her hair has never gone past waist - the ends thin out to the extent she has to cut several inches off every few months.

Hiriel
December 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM
A good friend of mine dyes her hair black, and sometimes bleaches the ends and dyes them red. She blowdries it, manhandles it and wears it down so it gets caught in everything. Her hair is at classic, and while it looks a bit dry, it doesn't look bad. Life is unfair ;)

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Absolutely. It's known as benign neglect. Find your routine, and let it be. Hair grows because of genes and hormones and a clean scalp skin. Your friend, with hair's dryness, may find some troubles down the road.

That's where finding that routine matters.

Most days I put it up and forget about it.

heidi w.

Spike
December 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Just like some people can have lovely bodies without special attention to diet and exercise, some people can have long hair without special routines.

However, neglect adds up. Suddenly one person who has lived on fast food forever finds the pounds packing on and refusing to budge; another may find hair snapping off at mid-back.

Crysta
December 14th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Well it is better for your hair if you don't neglect it. some people do not want to have gloriously silky undamaged hair. some people do not feel it is worth their time.

that's all good.

Hair grows 'nicer' when you baby it.
but it will grow whatever you do to it.