PDA

View Full Version : Larger Buns

Rheia Althia
April 25th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have a question about large buns, or even more accurately buns that appear larger.

When I do up a bun it is about 3 inches in diameter and I was curious if anyone had any ideas for how to make a larger bun (maybe 6 inches in diameter). I've tried making a lose bun but it tends to fall out.

I have hair down to my lower back.

I really liked Cinnamon Hair's Celtic Knot bun, but I'm not sure how she does it.

Thanks!

Irishred
April 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Have you tried a sock bun? instead of wrapping the 'base' you could wrap the edge?

Are there instructions posted anywhere for her Cinnamon Hair's bun? Please?

now I am curious...

Rheia Althia
April 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I was always a bit scared to try a sock bun that it might damage my hair.

What do you mean by wrapping the edge? Kinda like doing a cinnabun after the sock part?

Irishred
April 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I was always a bit scared to try a sock bun that it might damage my hair.

What do you mean by wrapping the edge? Kinda like doing a cinnabun after the sock part?

I tried it once but didn't have a sock roll thing and it kinda flopped (I tried to use a really big scuncii). I do want to try it though. I guess I need to sort the socks and find one that lost it's pair LOL. I don't think damage is an issue unless this is your daily do and you have less than friendly toys you are using.

Yes. Most of the sock buns I see on here wrap the base and the bun kinda sticks out a bit (kinda like a beebuttbun) But if you could pin and wrap it more like a cinnamon bun it might give you the width you are seeking. Just a thought.

Rheia Althia
April 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks I'll give this one a try!
I would also love to try a more lose romantic bun (that would stay up and not fall out) hehe.

Rheia Althia
April 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I would love to be able to do a bun like this with my hair.
http://users.eastlink.ca/~shara/bun.jpg

CountessDeJager
April 25th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Just like the sock bun idea you could also use two scrunchies to build up a base on the inside, Rheia Althia. One time Heidi W. showed me a style that began with two scrunchies holding a ponytail and the resulting bun was twice as big as a bun without that base.

Cinnamon Hair
April 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have a question about large buns, or even more accurately buns that appear larger.

When I do up a bun it is about 3 inches in diameter and I was curious if anyone had any ideas for how to make a larger bun (maybe 6 inches in diameter). I've tried making a lose bun but it tends to fall out.

I have hair down to my lower back.

I really liked Cinnamon Hair's Celtic Knot bun, but I'm not sure how she does it.

Thanks!

My bun is usually about 6" diameter. The obvious answer would be longer and/or thicker hair = bigger bun. To get the largest bun possible with your current hair try making the bun with damp (but not dripping wet) hair and wrap it very loosely like a big flat pancake. Hairsticks probably won't hold it then so you'll want to use a Ficcare or Ficcare-like clip. Or you could try using a hair donut (pancake, donut, what's with all the breakfast foods? :) ) or sock bun, which is a bun made over a foreign object so that is appears larger. I'm sure we have instructions somewhere.

As for the celtic knot, instructions are here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=32). The bun idea was originally from Twitch, then copied by Tiffanie (called Tiffanie's Avatar Updo), and finally named the celtic knot. It looks different every time, but the best tip is only use 3 fingers to wrap the loop of hair over rather than wrapping it over your entire hand or wrist. The bigger the wrap the funkier and less stable the bun.

kissedbyfyre
April 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I second the suggestion of using a Ficcare or Ficcare like clip when trying to achieve a larger bun. Mines likely around 4 or 5 inches wide when I do a cinnamon bun. I need to use a Ficcare to get it to hold. Hair sticks don't work.

Sock buns look quite neat as well and give the illusion of a larger bun.

Ramona_Fosca
April 26th, 2008, 12:41 AM
A sock bun would be the first choice but if you want to go with your own hair only try making a rope braid, than losely twist it into a bun (go the opposite direction - i.e. if you braided twisting clockwise go counterclockwise when bunning).

This gives my (short as well as comparably thin) hair the air of "HAIR"

LifeisAdventure
April 26th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Ooh, thanks much for the link to the instructions and video, Cinnamon Hair! I'll have to try this one soon! :)

Oh and yes, I echo the recommendations for sock buns and ficcare/fakkare-held cinnabuns for maximum volume!

Stevy
April 26th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I find wrapped buns come out bigger than twisted buns - if I twist my hair, it packs down very small. KarenLynn has a how-to for the wrapped hairstick bun here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=31) - I usually do the variant shown in the last photo. Another thing I sometimes do is make the first twist as for a cinnamon bun, stick a hairstick through it, and then wrap the length around under the hairstick, securing it with a pin.

Rheia Althia
April 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Wow! Thank you all so much for all the tips! I will get right on this! I have a brand new Ficcare (love it). I've never had any clip hold up my hair like that!

Thanks again!