PDA

View Full Version : CO wash and cones !!?!

nuxa
December 13th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Hi :)
So I'm new to CO washing (really new), and I've been reading all that I can about, and learned a lot so far... But I just can't get it with CO washing and cones!

So, for what I can understand, CO washing does not remove cones from hair right? but I've read that some people manage to CO wash and use some cones after (like in leave-in products)... :confused:
So who does use it and who doesn't and why? And for those of you who do... how do you manage it?!
My priority right now is to CO wash properly and if cones get in the way, is non-cone routine for me!

(sorry if it was a silly question!)

GlassEyes
December 13th, 2009, 05:32 AM
It's perfectly possible--they just use shampoo when they get build up from the cones. :shrug: Simple as that.

Traditional CO is without cones, however.

florenonite
December 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM
What Glass Eyes said. You also get some 'cones that are water-soluble (there's a list in the articles section, I believe), so those can be used on a CO routine.

MandaMom2Three
December 13th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I use a coneless conditioner to CO with and use a cony serum after, I just have to clarify now and then, no biggie :)

nuxa
December 13th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I just realised that I should have poted my question on the CO washing thread hehe :silly: sorry

water-soluble cones! didin't know about thouse... I'll look it up thanks:)

The thing is I've never looked closely at the ingredients and now I found that almost all off the products that I have do have cones in them :( but I'm sort off a cheap girl hehe and I didnt whant to have to buy it all again... but I didnt want to have to use poo either :dizzy:! hahaha

Ok so I guess I'll use a non-cone condish and cone leave in until I finish some bottles:s

Do you think that this way I'll be able to shampoo a maximum of once a month?

thanks for the help:)

Carolyn
December 13th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I've been doing CO for quite a while now. I'm not really sure how long. A couple years maybe? I have to clarify now and then. I really can't say how often. It's a whenever I think it needs it thing. It's not a big deal really. I use cheap, thin, runny, and cheap conditioners for the cleansing part. Sometimes I use a coney conditioner for my second conditioner and sometimes I don't. I also use a coney leave in once in a while. Your hair will tell you when it's time to clarify.

Crysta
December 13th, 2009, 09:12 AM
i'm going to look into using cheep runny conditioners myself, seems liek a good idea.

Honestwitness
December 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I love CO, which I do every two to three days. I use a coney mousse after the CO and a very little bit of coconut oil while damp. I scrunch and diffuser-dry the scalp until about 75-80 oercent dry. I rarely diffuser-dry the ends, but I will if it's really cold outside. I always wash/shower in the mornings, before work.

Every seven or eight days, I use shampoo. I don't necessarily use a "clarifying" shampoo. Whatever shampoo I happen to use seems to strip my hair enough that I really have to use extra leave-in conditioner to make up for it.

It's fun to experiment. I try to take pics when I try something new, so I can have a record of how it affects the outcome.

Sissy
December 13th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I use two conditioners for my CO routine and sometimes the second heavier conditioner does contain cones.

Step 1:
For my first conditioner I always use a light, cone-free, inexpensive conditioner like VO5, Suave, or White Rain (my favorite is V05 Vanilla Mint Tea Conditioner). That step is for the actual cleansing so I rub it around my scalp massaging really good and also coat my ends with it.

Step 2:
After rinsing out the cheapie cleansing conditioner I choose to follow up with a heavier/moisturizing conditioner because I am prone to dry hair split ends/damage. For the second conditioner I sometimes use a cone-free organic product (Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, JASON, Aubrey Organics, or Giovanni) or other cone free products like the Sally's GVP line. Other times I will use a conditioner which contains cones like Herbal Essence, Yes to Carrots (it's organic but I think it has cones), etc. Sometimes the second conditioner I use contains protein because I want to make sure my hair gets enough protein. I own several products and rotate them regularly depending on what my hair feels like. Oh, one more thing... I always put a plastic shower cap on my head and let the second conditioner soak in for a kind of quickie DC treatment while I shave and exfoliate, etc. I rinse with warm water and then cool water before getting out of the shower.

Once out of the shower I put my hair in a towel and get dressed then I finger detangle and apply a leave-in. The leave-ins are sometimes cone free but usually a combination of coney and cone free products. I change leave-ins every few days. My favorite leave-ins are Biosilk (heavily coney), GVP Sebastian Potion 9 Generic from Sally's (light cone), and Giovanni Direct Leave-In (cone free).

I find that I can use coney leave-ins without a problem as long as I clarify with Suave shampoo once per week.

Hope this helps!

Sissy
December 13th, 2009, 10:11 AM
water-soluble cones! didin't know about thouse... I'll look it up thanks:)

I was told a while back that any cone with the letters PEG listed in front of it is water soluble. Hope that helps! Also, certain cones work differently on people so if you don't experience built up issues with a current product it is probably OK for you... you will know when your hair has issues and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with clarifying once per week using Suave shampoo containing SLS.

I found that almost all off the products that I have do have cones in them :( but I'm sort off a cheap girl hehe and I didnt whant to have to buy it all again... but I didnt want to have to use poo either :dizzy:! hahaha[quote]

Shampoo is not necessarily evil... in fact if you've been going awhile using all cone products a nice shampoo will be just what you need to get your hair and scalp back to a happy state. The shampoo would help strip off the build-up and allow your hair to take in moisture and good stuff again. You could shampoo and then do a deep conditioning treatment if your really worried about shampoos drying effects.

[quote=nuxa;892055]Do you think that this way I'll be able to shampoo a maximum of once a month?

I don't know... once a month would be too long to go without shampoo for me. Are you just concerned with the drying ingredient sodium lauryl sulfate aka SLS in shampoos?

If so, perhaps try some shampoos which do not contain SLS like Aubrey Organics shampoo line or Queen Helene Mint Julep Shampoo Concentrate (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/2/limit/views) which has a rating of 8.6 here on LHC and is only around $3 for a large bottle which can be diluted and will last a long time.

klcqtee
December 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I COed with heavy heavy cones (herbal essence). I wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week, and I'd do a CWC with a sulfate shampoo once or twice a month, to help with the cone build up. I had a lot of problems with the herbal essence as a CO. With shampoo, it was awesome, and moisturizing, and wonderful. CO there were so many cones in the conditioner that my hair was always flat and greasy. It killed my wurls!

I just switched to cone free (the new garnier triple nutrition) and it is awesome! No greasy build up and I don't think I'm going to have to clarify (at least not for a few months!). Cone free has given me more wurls than before, and less greasiness. I think I should be able to stretch washes better as well.

So to answer: it is possible, just by clarifying. If you wash frequently (even if you do CO every time), you shouldn't have too many greasy problems. I have greasy hair naturally, and stretching washes was horrible with cones. If your hair happens to be on the drier side, cones may be the way to go.

HTH!

redneckprincess
December 13th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I CO with a weekly clarifying shampoo..here is how do it

using no-cone condition new undamaged, virgin roots.. and I use a cone conditioner on the length...

nuxa
December 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Sissy Ive got itchy scalp with most poos and ive been buying no SLS ones for a long time now. I deep condish 1 a week but my hair is really dry and I foud that going off poos would be the best step ;)
I tried it for a week now and felt realy great. I shampoed with mild SLS poo today wen I foud out about the cones thing and it wasnt that itchy any more!
Im just afraid I cant tell wen it needs to be pooed but I guess it will be obvious :rolleyes:
I'm just looking for the best way to go the longes without the need for poo! and anyway I gess that time will grow longer has my scalp adapts to it too right..

Thank you all for all the good ideas :p

banglaminerva
December 13th, 2009, 08:44 PM
And just to add more confusion to the mix... I CO every morning with coney Pantene and for the last 6 months or so, have had shampoo in my hair only once about every 6 weeks when I go to the salon to get my roots done. And my hair's been the best it's ever been.

I did try the cheaper, no-cones condish for a stretch, but it just didn't work for my hair.

Good luck!

nuxa
December 15th, 2009, 09:37 AM
just another point of view on the subject that I found :)

http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/11/11/is-the-no-poo-method-for-you/

JamieLeigh
December 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM
My main problem with trying to use cones in my CO wash, as I did when I was first trying it out a year ago, was that cones tend to make my hair flat...so the hair around my scalp seemed very lifeless. Cones pretty much coat the hair strands, so it's easy to weigh your hair down big-time, if you apply it at the scalp area. I generally would only put cones at ear level and below, if using them even in just a leave-in after the wash. The purpose of a CO wash is to cleanse your scalp as well as conditioning the length of your hair, and how are you doing that if you're depositing silicone on your skin? Just a thought.

nuxa
December 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
The purpose of a CO wash is to cleanse your scalp as well as conditioning the length of your hair, and how are you doing that if you're depositing silicone on your skin? Just a thought.

Yep! your right... After the first week I give up :s
Its not that my hair feels bad with cones, its just that now that I know just what they are and what they do... I dont want them in my head :disgust:

I found out that I was using them allll the time (poo, condish and DC)!... I want to see my true hair now:drama:
No more cones for me!

Pear Martini
December 26th, 2009, 09:13 PM
what exactly do cones do hair? Dont they protect it?

getoffmyskittle
December 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I did CO for ages with cones, and I didn't clarify. I have never really clarified, actually. :shrug: I think I put baking soda in my shampoo once to see what would happen. I did heavy oilings, and I have this pet hypothesis that oils can dissolve cones because both are nonpolar. I haven't tested this, but I asked DavidN once (he is our resident chemist, as far as I know), and he said it was plausible!

florenonite
December 27th, 2009, 05:25 AM
what exactly do cones do hair? Dont they protect it?

They can and can't. The short version is they can seal in moisture, thus protecting hair, but they can also seal it out, thus making it brittle and prone to damage. The long version can be found here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13).

Pear Martini
December 27th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I did CO for ages with cones, and I didn't clarify. I have never really clarified, actually. :shrug: I think I put baking soda in my shampoo once to see what would happen. I did heavy oilings, and I have this pet hypothesis that oils can dissolve cones because both are nonpolar. I haven't tested this, but I asked DavidN once (he is our resident chemist, as far as I know), and he said it was plausible!

I thought clarify meant shampoo? What do you mean?

Pear Martini
December 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM
They can and can't. The short version is they can seal in moisture, thus protecting hair, but they can also seal it out, thus making it brittle and prone to damage. The long version can be found here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13).
Its so hard to choose. I love how I can CO with coneless products everyday but I like heat styling my hair so I figure cone conditioners will protect it more

nuxa
December 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Well I've read that any poo can wash cones off but SLS poos are more efective at it (they clarify)! and I've read some were else that Dimeticones are the most dificult ones to be washed and that they don't come off unless you wash your hair more than one time!
But I guess opinions differ on this mater:s

getoffmyskittle
December 27th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Er, well, there are clarifying shampoos though, so I thought it was more than that. Isn't it when you use something that strips everything off the hair? :shrug: