PDA

View Full Version : Should I ask for a "U" shape?

Avalin
December 13th, 2009, 03:39 AM
As you can see, I am new. I was going to get a hair cut in a few days or so. I have long layers (mostly grown out) and I was wondering how I should ask to have it cut. My hair is not damaged, just needs a dusting.
I don't want it to be straight across the bottom though... Should I ask for it framed around my face a little bit so it sits in a nice U shape??

I will post a picture in a second.

Thanks for the help!

sedonia
December 13th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Well, it depends on what you want. Just be really clear about what you want and how much you want taken off.

Having the hemline taper from about bra strap length at the sides to waist in the back would produce a nice U.

But if you ask for "face-framing", that e stylist will probably taper and layer it to above shoulder on the sides.

Crysta
December 13th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I personaly like the 'U' shapes better than straight across.

but it's all relative to you :P
but yes like sedonia said, make sure you're very clear about what you want taken off and what you want to keep. hair dressers can be greedy :P

pinchbeck
December 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I prefer U-shaped hemlines, too. When my hair gets long enough I will have my hair cut this way. Currently, it is cut in a very slight U-shape. Face framing layers can be flattering so be sure to decide if you're willing to loose length at the front of your hair in order to achieve this.

spidermom
December 15th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I really love the U-shape; that's how I had mine cut.

Sheltie_Momma
December 15th, 2009, 10:01 AM
The phrase I use is this: "I want it to be all one length, however; please take off the corners in the front. " I say this while holding the pieces I am talking about and making an angled shape with my fingers. Eric or someone that knows can probably tell us the best way to phrase it to get the desired effect.

Spike
December 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Straight across looks great on 1a pin-straight hair; for most other types I like the U hemline.

Mine forms a U on its own, so I may be naturally prejudiced.

spidermom
December 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM
P.S.: I asked my hair stylist to give me a U-shaped cut and take no more than an inch off the length in the back.

justgreen
December 15th, 2009, 10:28 AM
My siggy pic is a U shape

rogue_psyche
December 15th, 2009, 05:18 PM
U shapes are my favorite hemline. Last time I got my hair trimmed was pre-LHC and I didn't know anything about hem shapes so asked for straight across. All I knew was that I did NOT want any layering. I think my hair is growing out in a U shape, though.

If you don't want to lose too much length in the corners, ask for a slight U. And be specific about how much to take off!

suicides_eve
December 15th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I'm gonna be the odd one out yet again :P I have a natural 'u' shape and want a straight line so bad! Really communicate with your stylist and don't be afraid to be vocal. That way you both know what is expected from your visit :)

Fiferstone
December 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I too, would leave the words "face framing" completely OUT of my instructions to a stylist, unless I wanted the stylist to cut layers around my face, which would mean above shoulder-length. Judging from what else you've said, I don't think that's what you want, is it?

piratejenny23
December 15th, 2009, 10:04 PM
i agree--do NOT say "face frame" with the length of hair you have!

i had a U-shape i was very happy with after it had grown out a few inches. when i first got it, it looked really pretty, but my hairdresser started the U right at my jawline, and lots of pieces would not reach to make a ponytail (that drives me nuts, it's like growing out bangs!).

then my hair grew 4 or 5", i went back to the same place, and she whacked off my hair at chin-length again! she only took an inch or so off the back...i really wasn't clear enough, i guess; i told her i liked how she had cut my hair last time...so now instead of a gentle U, i have a 9" difference between my shortest and longest lengths.

when my hair was shorter, the U looked really nice when i put in barrettes and/or curled my ends. now that my hair is longer, i would like to do more updos but i have too much taper. if i twist or braid my hair, the end is very scrawny & scraggly.

SO...in addition to the good advice given before me, maybe think about measuring the difference in length you'd want; i think i would like a 3" difference (rather than 9"). if you wear your hair up often, measure how long the shortest (side) pieces would have to be for you to do your regular styles. mine needs to be collarbone at least for a ponytail.

you could always get a gentle U, and then get a deeper U later on!

also, if you do get a face-frame, you may want to ask the hairdresser not to use a razor! i got lots of split ends in the short front areas, and i usually only get splits in my "nape layer". i learned too late that razor cuts can leave "tails" that cause widespread split ends!

http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/assets/images/twoh/Chapter%202/Damage%2012.jpg

(full article: http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/index.php?id=695)

Curlsgirl
December 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Last time I went I asked for straight across and then she asked if I wanted the "corners" trimmed and I said yes. This didn't really give me a "U-shaped" hemline like you would think of one being. I wanted to see how I liked it and now I think I may like a deeper one. I like the idea about measuring how much shorter you want the shorter edges to be than the longer ones. I think I will try that next time. I think on my curly hair I like a slight U-shape better.

Pixna
December 16th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I like U shapes, but it's really a matter of personal preference. There are different levels of U's, though -- a very deep one is more like a V. Perhaps you could start off with a very gentle curve and see how you like it. That way, if you want to return to a blunt-across hemline, you wouldn't lose much length.

I am a big advocate of self-trimming. It's actually quite easy and quick to do, and it let's you remain in control of how much or how little you take off. Other than an initial investment in a good pair of shears (which will last you many, many years, if you take good care of them), it's free! And, yes, you can do a U-shaped hemline very easily. Here's the method I use: Feye's Self-Trimming (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim).

melrose1985
December 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I like U-shaped too.. once my hair is longer i will use that hem line

JamieLeigh
December 16th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Just be careful if you say the word "layer" in a salon, that could have some disastrous results. Saying the words "face-framing", also, as someone else pointed out, can mean "layer" to a stylist. You didn't say whether you were purposely growing out the layers that you already had, though, or if it's just been that long since you've had a cut. That might be an important point to clarify to the stylist, because if you're growing out other layers, you wouldn't really want more cut back in.

I was always loving the straight across look, but as my hair is finally beginning to taper naturally past classic, I'm starting to be a fan of the U-shape. I'm not ready to let it fairy-tale (grow without trimming) yet, so it's a U for me. :p

Juneii
December 16th, 2009, 03:21 PM
U shapes are nice, I like taper but not when it's really severe like a V shape.

be sure you are very clear and don't fall asleep! if you feel there is something wrong then it probably is.
I think I've heard stories where people ask for a v shape or layers and showed where they want the shortest layer to be. and the hair stylist misunderstood and made that point the longest layer. D: