PDA

View Full Version : Will my hair get lighter with cassia and catnip?

Yedda
December 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Well, I've been reading and getting ready to post on the 2010 hair goals thread, and part of my plan for next year is to do catnip rinses once a week and cassia once a month. My hair is dark brown, and I do not want it to get lighter.

Do you think my hair will get lighter if I follow this routine?

Thanks everyone:)

Blueglass
December 12th, 2009, 11:38 PM
In a word no. Only chemicals lighten. Your not going to see any color difference on dark brown hair with cassia and catnip.

rogue_psyche
December 13th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Cassia and catnip can't lighten your hair, but honey can. If you use recipes with honey, such as SMT, you want to be sure to microwave the honey beforehand so it doesn't have any chance of lightening your hair.

Katze
December 13th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I tried to lighten my hair and none of the natural ideas here did anything at all to make my hair lighter, nor did it lighten DH's hair. Honey is a wonderful conditioner and humectant for my hair but it never lightened it, ever.

Cassia did give my hair a slight yellowish cast which i didn't like but if your hair is dark this should not be a problem...

blondecat
December 13th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Honey did lighten my hair, on the trial.

Casia and catnip have not.

Cassia did give me a really good shine/gloss

jojo
December 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Honey lightens and conditions
Catnip leaves deposits if your hair is naturally in the blonde spectrum, conditions and prevents breakage and splits.
Cassia leaves golden deposits on blondes/greys, but also volumises and conditions.

On darker hair you would still get the conditioning properties but not the deposits, apart from maybe the honey.

Crysta
December 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Cassia will be good for your hair, but not really for lightening it.
Catnip won't do anything for you if you're brown.

i'd try some honey methods.

ktani
December 13th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Well, I've been reading and getting ready to post on the 2010 hair goals thread, and part of my plan for next year is to do catnip rinses once a week and cassia once a month. My hair is dark brown, and I do not want it to get lighter.

Do you think my hair will get lighter if I follow this routine?

Thanks everyone:)

Neither cassia not catnip can lighten hair colour. I agree with the others. You should not notice a difference with catnip on your hair in terms of colour. Cassia, mixed with acids can yield red/gold tones. The red can show up on your hair colour.

Yedda
December 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad to hear my hair won't be getting any lighter.:)

About the cassia, I've read some people mix with tea and some with plain water. What's the difference?

Thanks again.

ktani
December 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM
About the cassia, I've read some people mix with tea and some with plain water. What's the difference?

Thanks again.

This is the best thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13332 to explain that in detail. I put most of my cassia research there, including how not to get colour with it.