PDA

View Full Version : Hair style for Surgery and Post-Op?

LittleOrca
December 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM
So Monday is the big day! I am just not sure what to do with my hair. I will be out of it a while and probably sleep most of the next day as well. I am not allowed to have my satin cap in the OR, but I will have it when I get discharged.

Do you think a single braid down the back would do or should I do two pigtail braids so that the back of my head lies better on the pillow?

amoulixes
December 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Either style braid sounds good, but I don't have any great advice. My hair is shorter than yours, and when I had surgery not too long ago I went with a low ponytail. It was comfortable, but as you can guess it knotted up badly! Also, I wanted to say I hope all goes well! :)

aksown
December 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
A friend of mine, waistlength, 3a, iii, recently had a c-section and she spent her post-op period with a side braid. I'd imagine pigtail braids would knot less where you head rubs though.

Heavenly Locks
December 12th, 2009, 09:26 PM
make sure whatever you choose feels ok to lie on. Either a side braid or pigtail braids. What about a bee butt on the very top?

Jeni
December 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Can you sleep with a braid on the back of your head? It bugs the crap out of me but I can sleep quite comfortably with one that goes over my shoulder.

Whatever you choose make sure it will hold (who wants to mess with their hair do every few minutes), and will be comfortable to sleep on.

kwaniesiam
December 12th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I'd vote pigtail french braids if you can do them or have someone do them for you since they seem to stay in better than regular English braids. Good luck on your surgery, and congratulations!

missjessiecakes
December 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I'd vote pigtail french braids if you can do them or have someone do them for you since they seem to stay in better than regular English braids. Good luck on your surgery, and congratulations!

All of this. I hope all goes well. Our thoughts are with you.

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I wish you well. I would go for the piggy tails too, since you will be on your back for a bit, it sounds like.

ericthegreat
December 12th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Are you sure you can't secure your hair in a tight bun and then tuck it under a surgical cap? Pretty much every surgery I've seen requires that hair be tucked away into a cap for sanitary purposes.

Well, if you can't have your hair in a surgical cap for whatever reason, I too vote for doing two English pigtail braids. They will keep your hair secure and out of the way.

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 09:56 PM
They can probably tuck the piggies up under her cap.

spidermom
December 12th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Two braids or top of head bun or ponytail.

GlassEyes
December 13th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Depends on how you sleep best. If you sleep best on your side, go for one braid; if on your back, go for two. :shrug: Either work logistically. Whatever is more comfortable.

Charlotte
December 13th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I wore a french braid when I had surgery last week for my knee. It stayed in fine and I had no knots afterwards. They did tuck it up into the little blue cap I had to wear though which was fine.

So I was thinking, perhaps as your hair is longer and thicker than mine, you could try two french braids done up Heidi style???

All the best for Monday LittleOrca. :blossom:

Melisande
December 13th, 2009, 06:53 AM
A side braid is most comfortable for me - and you can put it over your head, milk maid like, and hold it with a single clip over your ear. Then you don't feel your hair at all ;-)

Much luck to you.

Angela_Rose
December 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Hi, Little Orca.
Best of luck on your upcoming operation! May your healing be swift and uneventful.

That being said, I had surgery on my face a couple of years ago. I did two tight-tight-tight french pigtails and ended up having to leave them in for four days. I couldn't have been happier that I did those braids- the surgical team tucked my braids right into the cap and behind my neck so they weren't in the way of my head when I was on the table.
I've actually had that surgery three times (collapsed septum- NOT fun). The first time, I was around BSL and did plain English pigtails. The second time, I was around Waist and did a single braid, and of course the third time I did the french pigtails. If I ever had to have surgery again, I'd stick with the two french pigtails!

Again, best of luck and swift healing!

noelgirl
December 13th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Maybe this is unusual (judging by the replies here I think it is), but when I had surgery on my nose and sinuses a couple of years ago, they didn't allow any hair accessories. Not even an elastic. So it was loose under the cap, which I thought was odd but that's how they wanted it. My hair was only about BSL at the time so the tangles weren't too bad, but in case this happens, I'd recommend finding someone you trust to detangle your hair after the surgery, since you're not going to be up to doing it yourself. For after the surgery, I agree with the recommendation for braided pigtails. Good luck!

Qamar
December 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM
As a pre-op nurse I would suggest whatever braids are comfortable for you. I'll be going with an inside out french braid (dutch braid?) because it stays the best on me when I have my surgery soon. As for hair accessories, you CAN use a hairtie if it has no metal on it. We don't want metal in the OR because it can cause sparks with cautery equipment. No scrunchies, clips, hairpins though because they'll break or be possible ignition sources because of the metal in them. Scrunchies are out because they tend to fall out and get lost and could contaminate the surgical field even though you'll be wearing a surgical cap.

rogue_psyche
December 13th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I think everyone gave you good advice already and I never had any kind of major surgery done but I'm just stopping by to say good luck. I hope you have a smooth operation and a speedy recovery with NO post op shedding! :flower:

CaliRose
December 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I'm considering comfortable styles for a dental procedure coming up. I was also thinking two french braids!

Best of luck to you- wishing you a fast and easy recovery!

pepperminttea
December 13th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I use two plain English braids for the dentist; I'd French them but I'm still learning. :o

Good luck for tomorrow; I hope it all goes well. :blossom:

brok3nwings
December 13th, 2009, 01:17 PM
i just wanted to wish you all the best!

Ruvie
December 14th, 2009, 10:28 AM
good luck littleorca, i know your surgery will go great!!

Qamar
December 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Good luck today, and a speedy recovery to you!

amaiaisabella
December 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I hope your surgery went well, and you have great medication for after! ;)

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM
As a veteran of surgery, and likely too late to the show here, but for anyone in future coming across this info and needing it, I recommend:

2 pigtail braids, started somewhere comfortable so when you lie down you're not on a lump. 2 such braids will be tucked under a surgical cap.

All jewelry and earrings likely also have to be removed, too.

If you opt to bring in your satin or sateen pillowcase, know that if you're away on a walk or for a test or something, laundry services could end up removing it and tossing it in the bin for cleaning. So you may have to keep after it -- or bring one you don't care about. I once lost a beloved teddy bear this way -- all wound up in the laundry when the bed was changed. (I was a kid.)

For longer stays, think music. Headphones are nice, but a radio might be do-able too.

Prepare for surgery nutritionally too. Eat well for weeks to several months to prepare, especially if a big surgery with a big recovery planned. You'll heal a little faster and feel a bit stronger sooner.

Don't eat solid food too quickly after full anaesthesia. System is slow to move and respond and you can end up with constipation. Eat light things that digest well for a bit, and definitely have 2-3 good solid evacuations before going heavier. (Like, take it easy on pizza, burgers, fried anything....and some may need to watch the fiber intake initially after surgery. Soups are good for a bit.)

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM
If you'll be in your braids a while, do anticipate on still having tangles to sort out, such as back of the neck. But it's better than a rat's nest of balled hair length to sort out.

Sometimes a nurse's aide is happy to redo braids for you!

TIP: when it's time to undo the braids, particularly after a long hospital stay, do your best to detangle absolutely and literally from bottom up as you unravel. Don't unravel everything and then detangle. Detangle a bit, unravel a bit, detangle that portion, unravel a bit -- do it all in reverse order. This is true of updos too.

The reason you want braids over a bun for a long stay is you don't have to fuss with it and the bun will eventually pull if left in for several days. Not overly practical for you and for the doctor's to lay you down on a surgical table, either, especially if the body is going to be on the side or something, or moved about for any reason, during surgery....or if you'll be incapacitated and nurse's have to roll your body around.

heidi w.

Kunoichi
December 18th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I've been thinking of you since I read this, and your blog, Tuesday. I hope things went well with you during the procedure, post-op, and the way home.

Good for you on doing what you think is best! :cheese:

My grandmother had the procedure done a few years ago and lost a lot of weight...although she loves food a little too much and has put some of it back on... :rolleyes:

Good luck to you and hope to hear you're feeling better and see some progress pics ;)