PDA

View Full Version : Methotrexate and hair loss

Kitty
December 12th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hi everyone

I posted in the off-topic section about having to take methotrexate for an ectopic pregnancy. Now for those of you who are not aware, methotrexate is a chemotherapy drug that causes cells that rapidly decide to stop dividing and die (hence why it is used for cancer and ectopic pregnancies).

One side affect is hair loss. :disgust: Like I dont have enough to worry about right now. Anyways, my doctor said she has never had anyone complain about hair loss with this med used in this way, however, I am doubting most of her patient's were that concerned with hair loss as I am.

Well I havent noticed any more hair loss so far, but I'm starting to wonder if that affect may not be seen until later (I took the one time large dose approx 4 days ago). As soon as my hormone levels are back to prepregnancy levels I can restart my vitamins (cannot take with methotrexate as they interfere with it and thus it does not do it's job).

By chance anyone have any experience with this drug and know if I am past the worst and have avoided hair loss? Or is it still to come? I certainly hope not. I've been through enough, I dont need hair loss on top of everything.

Sorry for the pity party. :(

duckish
December 12th, 2009, 06:07 PM
My mom takes it for RA and she has had to cut her hair to a pixie, it just doesn't grow healthily longer than a few inches. I hope you don't experience the same.

Edited to add: Of course, my mom is likely taking a different dose and is taking it for a very long period of time, so her experience will almost certainly be different. I just wanted to note that it did have a pretty profound effect on her hair.

I also hope you feel better soon and are able to keep your hair!

Kitty
December 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Ya I am hoping since it is a one time dose it will be ok. And like I said my doctor said she has never had patients with any apparently problems. But it was a large dose though...eep! :(

duckish
December 12th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hmm, my mom did notice the effect after at least a few weeks of the drug. If you only had it the one time, I would feel much more confident that it wouldn't have any permanent effect.

Thinking positive thoughts in your direction!

BonnyJ
December 12th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hi Kitty, I am sorry about the ectopic pregnancy. I have RA and test positive for Lupus so was on MTX for 2 1/2 years. The reason I no longer take it is a whole 'nother thread.

Has your Dr. mentioned taking Folic Acid for a bit right now since you took the MTX? The Folic Acid in our bodies is depleated by taking MTX and replacing it helps some of the side effects like hair loss and nausea.

MTX is a form of Chemo and can cause some of the same side effects. You might want to ask your Dr. what he/she thinks about adding this supplement to your diet.

Take care,
Bonny

zule
December 12th, 2009, 06:24 PM
My sister was on it for six months, high doses (along with other drugs), for breast cancer. She didn't lose her hair, but it didn't grow. She was po'd because she'd cut off her BSL hair to chin length in anticipation of severe hair loss, and here she could have kept it long.

It's possible it varies from person to person, the dose, the length of time you're on, etc.

Kitty
December 12th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

Bonny, I cant take folic acid yet, because this is how the methotrexate works. It "steals" my folic acid stores so that the developing cells (in my case the embryo) dies so that I dont get into trouble. So taking folic acid would hinder how the drug works. My doctor said as soon as my pregnancy hormone is zero I can take an extra supplement to rebuild those stores (not only for my health, but I would like to get pregnant again soon). I had blood drawn today and again on Tuesday so hopefully the pregnancy hormones will drop fast so I can take folic acid!!! (I wonder if I can take maybe just a small amount though....just enough to offset the bad side effects while still letting it work...hmmm I'll ask my doctor on Monday I think).

Zule, my hair grows slowly as it is, so hopefully I wont notice that affect. But I have thought of at least just trimming my hair, maybe it will just make it look thicker so I dont think about it as much. And it's about time for that anyways.

Thanks again for all the replies.