PDA

View Full Version : the problem with spontaneous naps.

squiggyflop
December 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
i like naps.. i dont sleep well at night so i often find myself suddenly overcome with sleepyness and end up napping on the couch..

because of this i tend to wear my hair in buns held up by hairties all the time.. .. i cant very well sleep with hairsticks in my hair..

my hair is suffering from this behavior.. i dont know what to do.. i cant seem to avoid napping.. unless one of you knows of a magic cure for nightmares.. stupid nightmares keep me up at night.. and then im sleepy all day..

ive been thinking of just washing my hair more often and doing more braids.. (braids look bad with greasy roots).. but im not sure if that would help

and how do i protect my hair from my dogs fat butt.. he creeps up and sits on my head when im sleeping and 'guards me' from possible evil that only he can see..

Elistariel
December 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Two things.
1. I have trouble sleeping at night as well, although not for the same reasons. I started taking melatonin pills. (Superstrength, 5mg). They help me a lot. I've noticed they take an hour to start making me droopy eyed and then I have to lie down for them to make me go to sleep. - I was hoping they'd make me sleepy enough to just BAM go to sleep, but nope. Also when I take them it's a bit harder to drag my butt out of bed

2. Big poofy shower cap, or something like it.

LittleOrca
December 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Satin caps are good. I use one to sleep in for both nights and naps. They keep your hair from tangling inside no matter how you toss and turn or if a furry friend sleeps on your head (my cats and wiener dogs love doing this to me... the bums.)

squiggyflop
December 12th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Two things.
1. I have trouble sleeping at night as well, although not for the same reasons. I started taking melatonin pills. (Superstrength, 5mg). They help me a lot. I've noticed they take an hour to start making me droopy eyed and then I have to lie down for them to make me go to sleep. - I was hoping they'd make me sleepy enough to just BAM go to sleep, but nope. Also when I take them it's a bit harder to drag my butt out of bed

2. Big poofy shower cap, or something like it.
i take prescription sleeping pills that allow me to sleep a bit better but it doesnt stop the dreams..

i cant keep anything cap like on my head when i sleep.. i thrash around so much it doesnt stay on.. i do have a silk sleep bonnet but it wont stay on when i sleep..

Lamb
December 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
If a prescription pill does not help with the nightmares, you need a different one or alternative methods. Do check with your doctor, sleepless nights are not fun. :no:
For the hair, braids or loose hair with some sort of sleepcap sound good. But the sleep issue needs to be seen to asap, I think.

Magdalene
December 12th, 2009, 01:42 PM
eat cheese. (where did that article go?)

pepperminttea
December 12th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Could you try braided buns? I find they're my go-to oily-day style, so I wouldn't think you'd need to wash more often (unless you French/Dutch braid? I just do a plain English at-nape braid). If I have a day when I know in the morning that I'm just going to be knackered by the end of it, I braid my hair, tie it off, then bun it with a hairstick/fork. At the end of the day, all I need to do is take the hairstick/fork out of it, and presto, I have a sleep braid ready-made to tide me over until morning. :)

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I have the same problem with napping. I have chronic, debilitating fatigue and the only way to get anything done is napping before or after I do anything to get my energy back.

I bought satin pillow cases and for naps I just leave my hair down. At night I braid it, but I was noticing incomplete splits about an inch from the ends that leave me suspicious about my "hair safe" hair ties, so I switched to ribbons braided in and tied at the ends.

For the doggie butt, you are on your own. I have similar problems with kittie butts, and I hate to think about putting a cap on my head all night.

squiggyflop
December 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
If a prescription pill does not help with the nightmares, you need a different one or alternative methods. Do check with your doctor, sleepless nights are not fun. :no:
For the hair, braids or loose hair with some sort of sleepcap sound good. But the sleep issue needs to be seen to asap, I think.
the pills help alot.. i used to go days without ANY sleep.. by the third day im manic.. the pills dont stop the nightmares but they help me get back to sleep faster.. i also have chronic pain so that also doesnt help my sleep..
ive been on other sleeping pills but those didnt work out.. ambien (sp) made me hallucinate alot if i didnt fall asleep right away.. my sleep has been like this for many years..

eat cheese. (where did that article go?)
lol..

Could you try braided buns? I find they're my go-to oily-day style, so I wouldn't think you'd need to wash more often (unless you French/Dutch braid? I just do a plain English at-nape braid). If I have a day when I know in the morning that I'm just going to be knackered by the end of it, I braid my hair, tie it off, then bun it with a hairstick/fork. At the end of the day, all I need to do is take the hairstick/fork out of it, and presto, I have a sleep braid ready-made to tide me over until morning. :)
aaahhh thats a great idea.. hmmm

I have the same problem with napping. I have chronic, debilitating fatigue and the only way to get anything done is napping before or after I do anything to get my energy back.

I bought satin pillow cases and for naps I just leave my hair down. At night I braid it, but I was noticing incomplete splits about an inch from the ends that leave me suspicious about my "hair safe" hair ties, so I switched to ribbons braided in and tied at the ends.

For the doggie butt, you are on your own. I have similar problems with kittie butts, and I hate to think about putting a cap on my head all night.
hmm perhaps i could deal with a satin cover if its only for naps.. i find that if i use satin at night i just toss the pillow on the floor and sleep without a pillow

Kris Dove
December 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Satin scrunchies maybe- they tend to be slightly less damaging than regular hairties.

Hope you are able to get into a good sleeping pattern soon, you must be exhausted.

piratejenny23
December 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM
squiggy--

i have had horrendous, often physically painful nightmares for years (i get stabbed, shot, mauled by wolves, you name it!). i also have a hard time falling asleep/staying asleep...sometimes i sleep for 20 minutes, have a horrible nightmare, and can't fall asleep again for 4 hours.

i've tried lots of natural products, with mixed results. however, this product stopped my nightmares INSTANTLY:

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&previousText=gilham+natural+calm&Ntk=products&x=0&y=0&Ntt=gillham%20natural%20calm

this doesn't always make me sleepy or keep my asleep all night, but, seriously--NO nightmares. if i miss it one night, i will have nightmares that night--but if they wake me up, i can take the "natural calm" (which is primarily magnesium) in the middle of the night, and will have no bad dreams the rest of the night.

my current favorite sleeping aid is L-theanine. it counteracts caffeine, so if that happens to be what's keeping you up, it will help. and it doesn't leave me groggy in the morning like L-tryptophan, valerian, melatonin, and others do.

another good product is "sleep assure". this comes in a delicious lemon drink as well as pills. my son likes the pills. i like to mix the drink in with the magnesium, but the pills work for me too. sometimes i need magnesium + sleep assure + L-theanine.

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&previousText=gillham+natural+calm&Ntk=products&x=10&y=9&Ntt=sleep%20assure

and one last one: http://www.vitacost.com/Hylands-Calms-Forte-100-Tablets

this doesn't seem super-strong to me, but it's safe to take a dose every hour or so until you fall asleep. sometimes when i've taken the other stuff and it doesn't seem to be kicking in, the calms forte will put me over the edge.

these are a lot of products to try but they're pretty affordable, effective & safe with no side effects (except the magnesium will make you go potty...start out slow).

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Something I should mention about dietary supplements is that some of them can interact with medications you are already taking, and you should be very careful!! I discuss things with my pharmacist, but they are not great on supplements, and doctors are usually clueless. I do internet searches to double check what there are warnings about. I also check:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Sorry, but did you read the warning on this one? From the website you linked:

Warnings
For adult use only. Melatonin should not be used except with a physician's advice in the following conditions-pregnancy, lactation, serious illness, autoimmune disorders, diabetes, depression, endocrine disorders or during use of antidepressants or other prescription medications.

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Plus-Sleep-Assure#IngredientFacts

another good product is "sleep assure". this comes in a delicious lemon drink as well as pills. my son likes the pills. i like to mix the drink in with the magnesium, but the pills work for me too. sometimes i need magnesium + sleep assure + L-theanine.

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&previousText=gillham+natural+calm&Ntk=products&x=10&y=9&Ntt=sleep%20assure

these are a lot of products to try but they're pretty affordable, effective & safe with no side effects (except the magnesium will make you go potty...start out slow).

Runzel
December 12th, 2009, 05:15 PM
One way to boost natural melatonin is to sleep in total darkness. Even the light from a nightlight or a light-up clock can be enough to keep your body from producing melatonin. Here (http://www.bodyecology.com/07/01/11/nightlights_recommendations_sleep_well.php)'s a good article on ways to naturally boost your melatonin production--or rather, get it to the way it's supposed to be. I realize some people really need to take suplemental melatonin, but for others a few changes could make all the difference.

As for hair, I have a severe chronic illness which means many naps, and my solution has been to use very plain hair sticks made to as short a length as will still hold the bun, and make sure my buns are good and tight. When I'm quite ill it's usually days before I take the bun out again. All the tossing and turning makes my hair frizzy, but it's still out of the way and semi-protected. I'm sure a sleep cap would eliminate that problem. But the key for me was plain, short hairsticks so that I could roll from side to side, back to stomach, it didn't matter, it stayed out of my way!

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 05:27 PM
The OP mentioned something about mania. I am wondering if there is an issue with bipolar? If so, it makes total sense. I just read an article on how bipolar disorder is related to the genes that control body clock rhythm, so that is why so many of us bipolars can't sleep worth a poo.

If it isn't bipolar, I hope I didn't offend. Anyway, the article:

http://health.yahoo.com/news/healthday/bipolardisordermaybetiedtobodyclock.html

piratejenny23
December 12th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Sorry, but did you read the warning on this one?

Warnings
For adult use only. Melatonin should not be used except with a physician's advice in the following conditions-pregnancy, lactation, serious illness, autoimmune disorders, diabetes, depression, endocrine disorders or during use of antidepressants or other prescription medications.

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Plus-Sleep-Assure#IngredientFacts

ok, 'scuse me. i should have said, "i have had no side effects".

even food can interact with medication. it's always a good idea to research supplements before buying--search (supplement name) + contraindications. but obviously i'm not giving medical advice, just trying to help by sharing personal experience.

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I know, but a lot of people just assume that since it is "natural" or a dietary supplement that there will be no problems.

ok, 'scuse me. i should have said, "i have had no side effects".

even food can interact with medication. it's always a good idea to research supplements before buying--search (supplement name) + contraindications. but obviously i'm not giving medical advice, just trying to help by sharing personal experience.

squiggyflop
December 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM
ok lets all stay calm here..
the manic state i get in after not sleeping for days is extremely common in most humans after 3-4 days awake without so much as an hour of sleep.(this only happens when i dont get my sleeping pills). thesleep problem is handled by trazadone..

trazadone not only knocks me out but its an anti anxiety med (i was on normal sleeping pills before but had bad side effects that terrified my dad) because its an anxiety med it helps me get back to sleep after nightmares instead of laying there obsessing over it.. my nightmares are in part caused by my pain.

my sleep problems are a compound issue.. it cant just be solved with suppliments.. due to one of the big factors being chronic pain.. i do sleep in total darkness..

the thing to be solved is my hair not my sleep.. thats not going to get much better than it is.. its been like this for years.. its MUCH better now.. when i was younger i would never sleep for more than 10 minutes at a time so i would remember much of the night.. whats weird is that in 10 minutes i could have an entire dream.. oh im getting off topic..

oh and i sometimes i just lay down to temperarily releave the horrible pain i feel on a daily basis.. that too will never change.. i will always hurt.. ive come to accept that.. i just dont want it wrecking my hair

ok so satin scrunchys sound like a good idea.. braided bun sounds good..
hmm short hairsticks wont hold my hair up.. not sure why.. hmmm

Pierre
December 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I sleep with a Buff on, and I can't imagine thrashing enough to slide that off, especially the Polar. One side is under my chin, the other covers all my hair. I also wear Flexis when sleeping, usually with no problem.

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I fell asleep with a scarf on and while I had tied it well enough that it did not come off, it did manage to mat my hair at the nape. It was a cotton scarf, but I don't think that a satin one would last on my head all night. So I guess this is another YMMV thing.

GoddesJourney
December 13th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Maybe if you drape a silk scarf or something over wherever you are laying down in case you fall asleep. If you're interested, you might want to take a look at the lucid dreaming blog as a way of dealing with the nightmares. I used to have a similar issue and it worked great for me. Anyway, try the silk scarf thing. I used to fall asleep on the couch all the time and I would just throw all my hair over the edge of the couch and it worked fine.