PDA

View Full Version : Photographic proof of the horrors of bleach...

JenniferNoel
December 12th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Given the fact that I'm still quite new to the world of long, healthy hair, I still have a lot to learn; however; much of what I have learned was from my past mistakes. Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way, the value of my natural hair, through a series of terrible ideas. I ended up bleaching once, bleaching twice, flat-ironing every single day, and washing every day with cheap shampoos. I kept hearing how bad bleaching and heat styling is, but I never listened, not once. I was too lazy to see the split ends and broken strands, and I just kept repeating the same dumb things over and over again. Exposing it to wind, not trimming, etc, until finally, one day, I zoomed in on the below left picture and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I was a hair killer. :draw:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/jenny_the_strange/meowvnfrjv.jpg

I immediately hacked it off to ear-lobe length, disgusted.
That day in history changed my life, with care, patience,
and love, my forgiving hair quickly grew from ear-lobe
length to APL within a six month period, and it continues
to twist and flow happily, an inch every month.
You hear what horrors bleach and heat can bring, and you forget. You see the damage, and you remember...
You experience it, you understand... :blueeek:

The picture on the right was taken today, and it shows what a little care and effort can really do for your hair. When it seems hopeless, there's always something to make you smile. (corny, I know.)
Moral - When they say it's bad for your hair, it is.

:graduate:

Arctic
December 12th, 2009, 06:41 AM
The pictures really speak thousand words, thanks for sharing your story! Your hair today seems really healthy and shiny! :cool:

Shanarana
December 12th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I think at some point we all did damage to our hair before really understanding how to take care of it. I know for myself, I have done many things to my hair that my husband at the time told me I better stop before it ups and leaves.

It is so nice now to take good care of hair and I totally understand what your saying and it's not corny at all.

ericthegreat
December 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM
JenniferNoel, I've come to learn that nothing we do is really a "wrong" decision. I really wouldn't beat myself up if I were you. At the time you were straightening your hair and bleaching it, you honestly felt that highlighted, straight hair was the epitome of beauty. And it is for many people! I'm one of them, and as you can see from my latest photos my new red highlights came out beautiful.

And actually from your first photo, I have to say I love the reddish blonde color you had before. Yes, the ends badly needed a good trim, but even totally virgin hair needs regular trims as you know!

Never feel bad about what you decide to do with your hair, because at that point in time you felt it was the best decision for you. And the great thing about hair is that even if we happen to regret it in the future, it grows back.

Quixii
December 12th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Your current hair looks SO soft!
Well, I'm glad you learned a lesson, even if it was through the hard way. :)

hmmm
December 12th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for sharing, I never really saw what bleach damage looked like.

Kalyca
December 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM
wow, the difference in those two pictures is amazing..
a little TLC for your hair can go a very long way =]

little_acorn
December 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Good contrast between those pics and your current hair looks lovely :flower:

pepperminttea
December 12th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Wow, that's such a difference! Your current hair looks gorgeous and shiny. :)

Sissy
December 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM
your hair is looking very good and I love the deep brown color.

*Aoife*
December 12th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Wow. I've seen the damage bleach has done but that looks awful.
But your hair looks amazing now :) I love the colour and how shiney and healthy it looks.

kmangus
December 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Oh my! Cover the childrens eyes! :) Im glad that your hair has drastically improved...LHC is amazing isnt it?

JenniferNoel
December 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Oh, I know, everyone, thanks so much to everyone here at LHC for the tips and information, you've all been a great help!
:blossom:

Feng-Shui
December 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Oh yes, I remembers well the damage of bleaches.
Your hair is now as much more beautiful. :flowers:

I found a photo of before 5 years.
Short time after I LHC had found.

My hair was of bleaches ruined.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs072.snc3/13965_100806566612706_100000500894265_19511_237470 _n.jpg

I have to thank this community as much.:flower:

luluj
December 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM
JenniferNoel, your after photo shows such lovely, healthy hair! Is that your natural color?? I haven't colored or bleached or highlighted my hair since August 2008 and it feels so wonderful, I'll never abuse it again.

JenniferNoel
December 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
JenniferNoel, your after photo shows such lovely, healthy hair! Is that your natural color?? I haven't colored or bleached or highlighted my hair since August 2008 and it feels so wonderful, I'll never abuse it again.

I wish it was my natural color! That was the first color I covered it with the day I made the big chop. I haven't done anything to it since, but I'm being patient with the dramatic dark brown/sandy blonde two tone look. :o

Leah Polamalu
December 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Yikes at the damaged picture. Your hair looks just lovely now though!

halo_tightens
December 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Wow, thanks for posting that! It's really a great real-life example of things we talk about here all the time.

My hair used to be just like that "before" picture, too-- I remember that texture all too well!

luluj
December 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I wish it was my natural color! That was the first color I covered it with the day I made the big chop. I haven't done anything to it since, but I'm being patient with the dramatic dark brown/sandy blonde two tone look. :o

HA HA, How well I know that look! Of course, silver is my look now :D Patience is good........best of luck to you and happy growing!;)

LoversLullaby
December 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Your new hair looks so shiny and beautiful. Love the color. I'm glad you're taking care of it now! :)

TheCatSaidQuack
January 5th, 2010, 05:08 PM
wow. you always hear about the damage, but i don't think any of us actually realize its true until it happens to us.
your hair now is gorgeous - very shiny!

Kuchen
January 9th, 2010, 01:34 AM
:flower: There's bleaching and bleaching. Some members here have stunning bleached hair in great condition.

SunshineHair
January 9th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I love how healthy your hair has become!!!:D

Ally<3
January 10th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I've just about done everything to my hair. But in trying to repair it, I've come to appreciate my natural hair without bleach or colour or even styling. I'm glad I made all those mistakes because now I know how to take care of my hair and make it look better than bleach or a straightener ever could. Never again!

Kirzja
January 10th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Your pics illustrate exactly what to do and what not to do to your hair. Thanks for sharing!

In my teens I dyed my hair red with chemical dye, which wasn't too great for my hair. When I then tried to go back to blond, I bleached it resulting in an orange color. Second bleach made it look yellow, third bleach destroyed my hair.
That was another lesson learned :o

Cimorene
January 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
This:

You hear what horrors bleach and heat can bring, and you forget. You see the damage, and you remember...
You experience it, you understand... :blueeek:

Is awesome. Someone needs to write a book of Chinese Proverbs for Hair Growth. :meditate: :gabigrin:

jaine
January 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
my forgiving hair quickly grew from ear-lobe
length to APL within a six month period

Lucky!! :) I wish mine would grow that fast! ... I'll be lucky if I get from earlobe length to shoulder length in 12 months.