PDA

View Full Version : How it went wrong

alamaya
December 12th, 2009, 02:16 AM
This is my beautiful hair the day of my wedding 12/07/2008

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/alamaya1983/weddinghair.jpg

It had grown about 4 more inch since then. About 6 months ago i decided to dye my hair black :(. I am now in the process of cutting out the black.

I look like this now: (ps camera is blocking my face for privacy reasons lol also sorry bout the dirty mirror eww)

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/alamaya1983/PC120027.jpg

To the world i am happy with my new haircut. Me however i feel like crying i have years of growing out the black, years of growing out the hair. My only resolve is my majorly heat damaged ends are now gone. But still its my xmas party tonight and i cant do anything with it. I am a fool for getting a fringe on everyones advice i hate it i am getting spots all on my forehead. yuck

Just remind me there is light at the end of the very long tunnel i am traveling :(

ps if anyone has any ideas for hair styles i would be much appreciated.

LittleOrca
December 12th, 2009, 02:26 AM
:grouphug:

I know your pain about growing out dye. I am in the process of growing out mine as well. I didn't use black, but I used Henna and chemical reds then tried to cover it with browns. Rather than chop and start again, I just opted for the two-toned hair and have to deal with it and my hair wont be goal length and all virgin hair for 11 years. *sigh*

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/zHair%20Journal%20Private/IMG_2718NoMarks-2.jpg
My dyed hair vs. virgin hair (from a few months ago)

Back to you though! I am sorry you are not happy with your cut. Perhaps you can two a two pigtail look towards the back of your hair? Something like this (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2601/3982810135_d97b75d201.jpg). I know it looks like a juvenile hair style, but my sister wears her hair like this a lot and it's about your length and it looks cute on her. Give it a try. :)

Isadora Lewie
December 12th, 2009, 02:29 AM
A bob can be really cute, I like the way your ends are kicking up around your face.

For forehead spots, I'd try some beta-hydroxy acid solution 1 or 2%. You can order it online from www.paulaschoice.eu and it comes pretty quickly to the UK.

For a cute hairdo, why don't you try pinning some finger waves or pincurls in a 1920's vintage style? You could tuck a little flower behind your ear and it would be gorgeous.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2084103_create-pin-curls.html

Elenna
December 12th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Welcome to LHC!

It does take some time to grow out and trim off dyed hair. BUT not as long as you think, on the average, most hair grows about a half inch per month which is about 6 inches per year. If you can get some hair trimmed off every 3-4 months, then you'll be a lot closer to your length and hair color goals.

Meanwhile, there is a wealth of info on the LHC site.

embee
December 12th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I joined here after doing an 8 inch chop to my own hair and I could not believe how foolish I had been. Welcome to the boards! ;)

Your hair will grow, keep the faith. The wedding hair pic is lovely, you can get there again. Yes, it is distressing when you see what you lost, and are presently stuck with no options. Maybe a different parting and then sweep the fringe to the side?

I had a tough time with fringe too, and got spots. Although I've a high forehead, I'm glad my fringe is grown out now. Never again (if I can keep my wits about me!).

I hope your Xmas party goes well and you feel festive despite your hair.

Speckla
December 12th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Try some pretty headbands or twist the sides and bangs and secure with pretty clips! Your after hair looks healthy. You're at a good restarting point because you'll be able to do ponytails and updos much sooner than you think....especially since it'd be harder if you were growing out a pixie cut.

Clarisse
December 12th, 2009, 06:33 AM
If your hair has the same relatively slow but probably pretty average growth rate as mine, you will be back in 2 years. :)

YoginiCelestial
December 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM
If my hair were your style, I would try a couple of different things.
1st I'd try to pull it back into a french twist and secure in place with bobby pins then insert a sparkly hair toy such as an aligator clip, or half up with aligator clip.
Or after a fresh washing I'd let my hair air dry for about ten minutes, then I'd use a round brush with a blow dryer on lowest setting and blow dry curling your hair under. Concentrating on getting some height on the top, rounding it under and back over your head and maybe do a nice side part. Use a just a tiny bit of VO5 hair dressing or hair oil to smooth flyaways and add some extra shine. Then secure the heaviest side with a sparkly clip or barrette that matches your jewelry.
That's just my opinion. We'd love to see how it turns out!
Have fun at your Christmas party tonight! :)

akka naeda
December 12th, 2009, 07:01 AM
It's years since my hair was that short, but you could try mini claw clips if they still make them. And it'll take you about 1.5 years to grow your hair out to the length in the first pic, that's not years - it'll take me another 5 years to have my hair henna free right down to my calves:)

mugglemomof3
December 12th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Just wanted to send you some sympathetic hugs. I've been slowly trimming off the ends of my old dyed hair too.

Welcome aboard! This place is fantastic. :waving:

funnybunny668
December 12th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I'm regrowing mine, too. I'd gotten mine about 3 inches below BSL, and cut to about APL first, ten got shorter and shorter until it was a pixie! LOL Now I'm gowing out layers. Ugh!

Any way, that's all just to say don't feel alone in your regrowing journey! There are others who totally understand.

I think while it's short, sometimes it's okay to resort to blowdrying and styling products, especially for a special occassion. You can always be extra pampering and deep condition afterwards. I mean, it's way better than getting frstrated and cutting it back off, isn't it? LOL ;)

Shanarana
December 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Think mentioned already, but headbands are great if you want to grow out your bangs. That is what I am doing and I don't even think about it and they grew long in no time.

Hang in there, it will grow!

pepperminttea
December 12th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Keep going, it'll grow out eventually! :) I went from BSL (bra strap length) to chin length a few years ago to cut out all my old dye - it was a shame to go so short, but it was worth it in the long-term. You'll get there!

hanne jensen
December 12th, 2009, 11:51 AM
When my hair was your length all I could do was put on a snood. 3 months later I could put my hair up in a sock bun. A few months later I could do some very simple but different updos. Today I'm at APL. This has taken less than a year...

Hang in there-it takes less time than you think....

rogue_psyche
December 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I know how you feel about dying your hair and regretting it ultimately. I had awesome green and then magenta hair for three months after bleaching and dying my then-virgin hair. I thought growing it out would be quick because the last time I did it I was maintaining around APL and it only took two years. This time it will take much longer as I plan to maintain at waist.

Everyone has given really good advice so far. When I grow out bangs I like to use those sleeper clips--you know, the ones you bend on way to fasten, and the other way to open. I can use one on each side to keep them out of my face or pin them back in the middle for a modern look.

Stay with us here at LHC. I can't hope to find a more informative AND supportive group anywhere else on the internet. You come for the hair secrets, you stay for the community. ;)

Anyway good look with your hair journey and here's to your first step to lovely healthy long hair. :flower:

teela1978
December 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Re-growing is a pain. Its totally doable though. I started at LHC with dyed hair and all the dye has been gone for a couple of years now.

I started out a little past shoulder length, grew out dye till it was around shoulder, cut back to shoulder, and have been growing out ever since. Its a slow process but it happens. I've been amazed at the difference between dyed hair and not-dyed hair. I lost a lot of curl which kinda sucks, but its so much glossier and heavier... and thicker, I gained about an inch in circumference.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/5-6-06beforehenna.jpg http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/hair11-2-06.jpg http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/DSCF1140.jpg http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/hair20071131.jpg http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/20081122.jpg
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=889&pictureid=57329

alamaya
December 13th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks for all the replies ladies.
My newly washed hair did not like the idea of being up in anyway so i ended up straightening it and plastering it with spray (my hair likes to expand of its own accord).
OMG does my hair feel like poo this morning. Matted and all. Then again the stay on makeup which would not come off with cleanser is still there so as you can all imagine i love fab this morning lol.

Least i have another year till i have to go through this again lol

Taisyun
December 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I know just how you feel.. I too had long hair and cut it into a very short pixie style to get rid of black hair dye and heat damaged hair and I regret it everytime I look in the mirror. Mine is shorter than yours and can't even put it into a ponytail.. so you should thank yourself lucky you have enough length still to do something with it.
Right now I am wearing hats whereever I go to hide the horrible thing on my head. I found that I felt much better, now that I came out and told all my friends that I had destroyed my hair and that I hated it and was going to hide it from now-on, because when I was trying desperatly to style it and making it look good so people wouldn't know of my misery I felt sad. But now we all have a laugh at my hair and I don't even style it now I just go out looking rubbish and wear a hat and everybody knows why I am always wearing a hat because I told them how I feel so now I feel better at least. Im just waiting patiently for it to grow and also now that I got rid of the major heat damage I had before I can re-grow my hair without damage, I'm banned from any heat styling, hair dye and I bought some nice shampoo and conditioner too. So at the end of the day I might look bad for a few months but it'll all be worth it when my hair is long and cared for.

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I'm late to the game here, so what I'm about to say is not helpful for your party over the weekend.

I am going to be a bit brave here. I recognize you're a newer member, so what I'm about to say may come off a bit as rude. But I think this is a common concern for many in your shoes, and I think some may benefit from this perspective.

From the photo you share it seems you have a rounder face type. You have bangs and a bit of a flip or a lot of weight at the bottom of the hair cut you presently have.

Do know this isn't forever and will grow out. You'll make it, you'll see.

In your case, too, you appear to have some body, which can be used to your advantage! Hair with body accepts curl rather easily and curl can be drawn up, or allowed to poof, or poof on one side while the other is sleeked down.....and this can be a lot of fun.

What to do when the hair is a bit shorter and not a lot of options for updos seem to be available?

Ok, the first thing is that you want that weight of hair off the bottom of the face frame. So at least pull the hair on the sides back into a clip. For a fancier situation, you could consider curling the hair (look into snap'n'go curlers, this is done on dry hair! and they're not that expensive to buy) so there's a fair amount of curl going throughout, even curling the front but not the back so when you draw it back you have curly fluffiness in the back hanging out of that clip.

You are long enough for some kind of version of a french twist if you use some kind of hair spray spritzer. There are products on the market where a little bit spritzed on provides a lot of hold.

Avoid pulling away from the face too tight.

If you get some hair off the face, you instantly create a line, especially the steeper the angle you get the hair at. ETA: This then could provide a line for the eye to follow.

With bang, consider a deep side part, or a zig-zag part, that goes a bit over the bangs, and the other side pulled back behind the ear and spritzed into position with a nice decorative clip or comb. (If you don't know how to insert a comb in the hair that's small, ask.) The idea being that a side part for nearly everyone instantly reframes the face, adding a bit of drama (ETA: it's the asymmetry that lends drama), and further, allowing some of that hair to hang forward ETA: on one side END ETA on purpose so the bangs peep through a bit on one portion of the forehead. ETA: The other side could be sleeked back as already mentioned. SO you have asymmetry in terms of body/sleek, forward/pulled back. END ETA For one evening, the annoyance of hair in the face isn't so bad. Again, though, you can spritz hair for some hold even if it still moves.

You can definitely do a small updo in the back with crown hair and side hair drawn back. With your body (that is curl factor in your hair type), you can get a fair amount of lift on top so this elongates the face, creating more of an oval impact ETA of the face/head.

You could consider curling the whole thing (experiment at home FIRST so if it frizzes out a bit on the first few tries you learn how to deal with this with pinning), and then piling more on top of the head a bit so curl and furl runs about the top and a bit from the crown down a bit, a kind of fun frothing up there. Combined with a sparkly comb or some clever pinning or twisting, you can achieve a really fun look.

Bangs can be parted on the side too, and again, some holding spray for a night out can help the hair hold.

I've always like the effect of no part, yet hair drawn a bit to one side and curved on one side and upswept into an updo or even ponytailed hair. The top then can then have a lot of poof, again, elongating the face, the curve on one side is a way of achieving a side part effect (asymmetry is a fun tool) yet still sexy and feminine with that curve on the side, and leads the eye into a line that goes up, accenting a bit the cheekbone and the angle of a chin to go up (above the ear a bit). And you can twist and let frothiness of furl peep out on top of a nice sleek bit of hair, a kind of texturizing look, and the froth can be a bit peeking above the back of the head to add to height effect. Coupled with some nice earrings, a spritz of some kind of holding agent (even a trace amount of aloe vera gel), and some makeup, you can look AWESOME for a special night, or tone down earrings and makeup, and you have a nice day look while hair continues to grow out.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Remember, hair styling is not just about the front, or just the back...but the circle of the entire head. It's about all dimensions, height, depth, side view, front view....

that kind of thing.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies ladies.
My newly washed hair did not like the idea of being up in anyway so i ended up straightening it and plastering it with spray (my hair likes to expand of its own accord).
OMG does my hair feel like poo this morning. Matted and all. Then again the stay on makeup which would not come off with cleanser is still there so as you can all imagine i love fab this morning lol.

Least i have another year till i have to go through this again lol

Oh, one more thing. Every stylist will tell you to never style freshly washed hair. It's too clean. A bit of sebum, say a day after a fresh wash, is really helpful for stick. Too clean, bits stick out all over the place and you'll need more spray or holding power in a product.

I can see that your hair has the potential to, bloom, shall we say!

heidi w.

windinherhair
December 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I am growing out dark hair dye too. It was labeled as a dark brown but it showed on my hair looking black. It has really faded this year and my hair looks more like my natural brown and matches with my roots. Your hair my do the same since I notice your natural color on your wedding day looks like a brown too. There is light at the end of the tunnel! With patience I hope you will get the hair back that you had and want.