PDA

View Full Version : Confused about CO (Conditioner Only) washing.

pinchbeck
December 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
The advice that is normally given is to apply conditioner to hair below ear level. This advice is based on that if it is applied to the scalp it can lead to build up and also clogging of the pores.

Okay...if people are washing their hair with conditioner, does that same principle not apply? My hair does not respond well to any form of shampoo even when diluted, and using the CO method seems like it would be gentler on my hair and cause less snarls. However, I am not sure about the problems that can be associated with conditioner.

Dars
December 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Advice and myths like that get thrown out the window here at LHC. CO does work! And yes, you wash with conditioner on the scalp. Like everything in life, it works for some and not for others. There is a proper technique for CO washing. You might like to visit this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898&highlight=CO+washing+thread) for useful information. :)

ericthegreat
December 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM
If your scalp is very sensitive and is prone to itching, or you have a naturally greasy scalp then you can still use the CO method, but you will need to modify it.

I too have a oily scalp. So what I do is apply my CO conditioner(which is Suave Tropical Coconut) from my neck on down. After I have run the conditioner down the full length of my hair, I simply apply whatever residue is left on my hands into my scalp. I then rinse the conditioner very thoroughly out of my hair with warm but not hot water. I don't really need any conditioner on my scalp, it only leaves my already 1a hair even flatter at the roots. This method I have come up with works very well for me, my hair is both very clean and also well moisturized and as you can tell from my photos super shiny. This is something you can try pinchbeck. :)

lonestargal
December 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I have a sensitive scalp and everything makes it itch and I had breakouts on my scalp quite often, all until I started CO. The key is to use a cheap, thin, cone-free conditioner. If you use a thick coney conditioner I can see where it potentially could cause problems. Check out the CO article, it has very useful tips.

pinchbeck
December 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Advice and myths like that get thrown out the window here at LHC. CO does work! And yes, you wash with conditioner on the scalp. Like everything in life, it works for some and not for others. There is a proper technique for CO washing. You might like to visit this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898&highlight=CO+washing+thread) for useful information. :)
I don't know how you found the above tread, but it is huge! Thank you. It talks about how some people have build up and than will clarify. Doesn't that defeat the purpose...because I also read clarifying is drying to hair.

Despite the above there are certain ingredients in some conditioners that cleanse better than others. I will just have to make certain that the conditioner I choose has them and is fragrance free.

Carolyn
December 11th, 2009, 08:43 PM
CO works wonderfully for a lot and not so well for others. The only way to know is to try it. All I know is my hair gets nicely clean and it's well moisturized. I don't clarify nearly as often as I did when using S & C. I used a lot of coney conditioners back then. Now cones are an occasional thing. You won't know until you try it.

Dars
December 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I don't know how you found the above tread, but it is huge! Thank you. It talks about how some people have build up and than will clarify. Doesn't that defeat the purpose...because I also read clarifying is drying to hair.

Despite the above there are certain ingredients in some conditioners that cleanse better than others. I will just have to make certain that the conditioner I choose has them and is fragrance free.
I did a quick search for the CO thread. A lot of washing methods have huge threads on the mane forum like that. :D You're welcome!

It's up to you if you want to clarify but even using a no cone conditioner many people still find they need to clarify routinely. At one point I went 2 months without clarifying when my hair behaved very well with CO.

When clarifying to combat dryness as much as possible take these into consideration:

If using shampoo for this; choose carefully (look out for moisturising and cone free)
Some people clarify with baking soda and vinegar
It's up to you if you want to use sulfates, low sulfates or none at all. Surprisingly it's not uncommon for people to report back more dryness from using a low or no sulfate formula.
If the length of your hair is not visibly dirty or soiled then you only really need to use shampoo on your scalp and let the suds rinse down the length.
If you're worried about the drying effects of clarifying you can follow up with a nice moisture treatment of your choice. SMT (conditioner, honey and aloe vera) is a popular one .
As well as after treatments there is also pre treatments. Many people do a heavy oil treatment prior to washing to retain oils in the length for protection. CWC (condition-wash-condition) is another form.
I notice your hair does not tolerate shampoo, don't give up! There are clarifying conditioners which may work for you. And there are other washing methods to explore if CO isn't working out for your hair. Examples include WO (water only) and NW/SO (no water, sebum only)Good luck!

Honey39
December 12th, 2009, 03:52 AM
CO washing didn't work for me until I realised it's NOT like the traditional step of conditioning after shampooing! (This is personal to me, YMMV, although we both have wurly hair).

Use a cheap, thin, cone-free conditioner - not expensive!
Wet your hair, and then heap on a lot of conditioner all over - I usually use a large handful on the length, a large handful on the scalp, and a third large handful all over
I then massage it in thoroughly for about thirty seconds
Pin it up in a claw clip while I do the rest of the business in the shower (washing myself, shaving etc)
Let it down, stick my head under the shower for a couple of seconds, and then really lather it up (and it DOES lather up!) and scrub at the scalp to clean it
Rinse it clean - takes a fair bit of rinsing
I don't condition again in the shower, but I do use leave-in conditioner on the bottom half

I CO wash every day, and have done for about a year and a half. I shampoo every few months, but no more than that. My scalp, length and shedding have been fine. It's a method that really suits me, it's fast and effective, and my hair loves it. But like I said, for me the trick was realising it's NOT like conditioning after shampooing, it's a kind of different method altogether, and I personally have to really wash my scalp with the conditioner, and there is a lot of motion and washing gestures - it's not like smoothing it on and then rinsing it off for me. It's very much a very gentle cleansing method.

It's the easiest thing to experiment with, which is a bonus! See if it works, and if your hair likes it. Good luck!

rumi
December 12th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Another one here that will back up CO, I've been doing it for over a year. My routine is just like honey39 only I use a nice thick cone free conditioner, and I do oil treatments before I wash instead of a leave in after. I clarify about every 6 weeks or so. Since starting CO I've managed to go from washing every day to every three or 4 and my hair has never looked better. Condtioner is even enough to remove deep oil treatments.

nuxa
December 12th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I've just did my 2nd CO wash and my hair feels very good.
It was the fist actual change to my routine I tried since I joined the forum and I'm loving it!I'm still just figuring out how it works best for me so I can't really advice you on that but give it a try ...
I still have so much to learn with you all but this is totally a change to keep :)

CrisDee
December 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM
CO works wonderfully for a lot and not so well for others. The only way to know is to try it...

I'm still very much of a newbie myself, but I would go so far as to say that different products work differently for different people. Someone on another thread had remarked that the Suave Naturals Coconut seems to build up in her hair while the White Rain Coconut does not - I've found the reverse to be true for me. Keep experimenting with no-cone products (I've found the cheaper the better for me :) ) until you find what works for you.

Delila
December 12th, 2009, 11:33 AM
As others have said, CO seems to be all about experimenting to see what works for you. Hair type, skin type, water quality, etc., can all play a role.

I suspect that if I were to move away from my current location, I might well get better results with CO.

As it is, however, I only use CO after a deep oiling, applied on dry hair. I put it in a conditioning cap for half an hour or so (usually spent on LHC) then add water and massage thoroughly and rinse.

Carolyn
December 12th, 2009, 02:33 PM
One nice thing about long hair is that you can bun it up when a wash doesn't come out as good as you expect. I've had my hair come out of a CO wash a bit on the greasy side when the water has been hard. So I braid or bun that day and likely wash again the next day. You just have to be flexible and go with the flow sometimes.

Crysta
December 13th, 2009, 07:09 AM
i'm going to use Aussie Conditioner, Mega because it's cone free, but i'm worried about it coming out greasy, my hair gets greasy very easily, usualy on day two after a wash.

Does anyone think that if CO works for me it may help my hair to not get greasy as quickly (over the long term) because it will be less damaged?