PDA

View Full Version : Is my hair damaged?

*Aoife*
December 11th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Sorry, no pics. The end of my hair feels damaged. It feels drier and tangles easily. But it doesn't look damaged from what I can see, which isn't much as my hair at the back isn't long enough to see clearly at the front.
So how can I tell if my hair is damaged? I don't trust hairdressers at all after too many bad experiences.

danacc
December 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Look for split ends and white dots on the hair strand. Make sure the white dot isn't lint or something. You can make the hair bend at a right angle right at the dot if it is damage. If you can't see, have somebody you trust look for you.

For dry, tangly ends, try a clarifying wash followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner. If that clears up the tanglies, make sure you keep your ends moist in the dry winter weather. If the ends are still tangly, it's another sign that there could be damage.

*Aoife*
December 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Sorry I meant to say that I have no visible signs of it being damaged. No splits that I can see, no bumps, no white dots. The last couple of inches are what remain from when my hair was permenantly straightened.

2peasinapod
December 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
My ends get like that too sometimes. If you can't see any damage, try the clarifying and deep conditioning mentioned above (keep in mind that clarifying can be drying) and focus the conditioner on the ends. You can also try coconut oil or something similar on the ends.

I don't know anything about permanent straighteners, but maybe you can baby your ends until you're ready to trim the damage? If your hair is long enough to put up, that can also lessen damage to the ends.

Good luck!

Anlbe
December 11th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Either too much protein or not enough moisture can cause hair to either crunchy and tangly. Without splits or dots I wouldn't cut it off. Does your conditioner have protein in it? If so it might be an idea to change to one that doesn't have protein in it?
Another thing that I find causes tangles - particularly around the jawline level can be clothes that cause static, particularly scarves. Hope your hair's feeling better soon.

apynip
December 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
might be lacking moisture

also! Do you wear your hair in a poney tail or bun where the ends might get crooked? it may cause the damaged feeling ends.

*Aoife*
December 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I S&D'd today. Two split ends :)

Apynip, my hair is in a ponytail constantly for school. Half my hair is too short for updos.

Anlbe, thanks I hadn't even thought about my hair rubbing off my clothes. My school jumper could be the main culprit. I just don't think I can get away with not wearing it on the grounds of healthy hair.

florenonite
December 13th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Have you clarified? Sometimes you can get crunchy ends from oils or conditioners with 'cones (silicone compounds). After clarifying, use a moisturising conditioner and see if the ends have improved.

Do you think you could manage a French braid? That might help with the rubbing. What about buns? If your hair's too short for a single bun, you could try doing two smaller ones.

Pierre
December 13th, 2009, 09:22 AM
If the ends feel dry and tangle easily, and they are left over from a perm, then yes they are damaged. I detangle in the shower and snip off any tangle that is near the ends. Eventually you will get rid of them.

I second the braid (though I prefer Dutch) and the two buns. I make two Dutch braids, one on each side, then sleep in a Buff, and they stay for days. The curviness of the braids matches that of the hair. Right now (and yesterday) I have two braids joined at the back in a bun held with a Flexi.

heatherdazy
December 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I don't trust hairdressers at all after too many bad experiences.
Guess I'll just keep my mouth shut, then. :hmm: