PDA

View Full Version : Giving hair a break?

Shanarana
December 11th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Does anyone just leave their hair down once in a while just to give it a break from updos? I've gone a couple weeks with leaving it down....I don't go anywhere so it's not a big deal to me.

Carolyn
December 11th, 2009, 08:03 AM
With the cold windy weather and wearing winter coats and sweaters all the time, it's impossible for me to wear my hair down much. I think my hair is more vulnerable to damage when I wear it down. Do you consider updo's damaging or something that tortures your hair? If you are careful and use safe hair toys, do you think it's damaging? I'm sure some updo's could be torture for hair. I often wear my hair down at home if I'm not cooking (who me???) or cleaning. But it isn't hair that I would wear in public. If I wear it down in public, it's got to be clean Day 1 hair.

melrose1985
December 11th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I pretty much leave my hair down all the time. I'm not a fan of my hair up. And this morning i did where my hair up (went to bed with wet hair, it looked crazy this morning) and it was FAR to cold on my neck and ears.

rumi
December 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM
My hair is down all the time, cept for pinning the fringe back on the 4th day if I dont have the umph to wash it. Sometimes I'll put it in a claw to sleep in to stop it getting tangled I suppose that gives it a break from the brush :D

JamieLeigh
December 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I do that in the summer, but right now it's jacket weather, and everything I have either has a hood or an unsafe texture for hair to be rubbing against (and I do have a lot of it to rub on stuff. :( ). If I'm not going out of the house, and the kids aren't home, I have no trouble wearing it down. :)

Shanarana
December 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM
With the cold windy weather and wearing winter coats and sweaters all the time, it's impossible for me to wear my hair down much. I think my hair is more vulnerable to damage when I wear it down. Do you consider updo's damaging or something that tortures your hair? If you are careful and use safe hair toys, do you think it's damaging? I'm sure some updo's could be torture for hair. I often wear my hair down at home if I'm not cooking (who me???) or cleaning. But it isn't hair that I would wear in public. If I wear it down in public, it's got to be clean Day 1 hair.

I wear my hair up more than I do down...Winter mostly as pointed out by another poster if I do go out. Sometimes I feel it's good to just go "naked" time to time. I love my hair toys, but seeing how I don't get out much....not really feeling the need to put it up.

Shanarana
December 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM
My hair is down all the time, cept for pinning the fringe back on the 4th day if I dont have the umph to wash it. Sometimes I'll put it in a claw to sleep in to stop it getting tangled I suppose that gives it a break from the brush :D

You can use a claw clip to bed? How do you position it? I've just about broken all of mine.

Othala
December 11th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Yeaah, I have my hair down all day long indoors. It does get stuck and caught in places (DBF's beard for example...the velcro effect!) but it is much more comfortable for me than an updo which always pulls on my scalp.

When I go outdoors for long periods, I always bun my hair. If it is cold, I put a hat on as well.

Shanarana
December 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Yeaah, I have my hair down all day long indoors. It does get stuck and caught in places (DBF's beard for example...the velcro effect!) but it is much more comfortable for me than an updo which always pulls on my scalp.

When I go outdoors for long periods, I always bun my hair. If it is cold, I put a hat on as well.

Laughing over the velcro effect. Really...that's a problem?

halo_tightens
December 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Laughing over the velcro effect. Really...that's a problem?

YES. It's funny and annoying at the same time to see the ends of your hair plastered to a man's face...:D

Shanarana
December 11th, 2009, 02:14 PM
YES. It's funny and annoying at the same time to see the ends of your hair plastered to a man's face...:D

LOL. good times I'm sure.

Othala
December 11th, 2009, 02:18 PM
First thing in the morning it's not unusual to find myself immobilised beacuse vast quantities of my hair are stuck in DBF's armpit. That's really problematic because he's not an easy guy to wake up, LOL.

heidi w.
December 11th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Absolutely.

It's important to do so.

heidi w.

Xandergrammy
December 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I like to wear my hair loose sometimes at home. If I wash it in the evening, it stays loose until bedtime. I love the way my hair feels when it's loose, but it does tend to get in my way. I sit on it, the dogs sit on it, DH sits on it. :shrug: :gabigrin:

Islandgrrl
December 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I wear my hair up all the time but as it gets longer I'm having more trouble with sleeping. So for the past couple of nights, I've left it loose for sleep. Very nice, except for the part where DH rolls over on it and traps it underneath him.

I do think that not doing the same thing with your hair every day is a good thing.

rumi
December 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
You can use a claw clip to bed? How do you position it? I've just about broken all of mine.

You can get a hold of flexible claws they feel a little more rubbery than the normal plastic ones you usually pick up but even before then I never had a problem keeping them in. I tip my head upside down and gather the hair right at the front, twist it and wrap it around backwards to get a secure bun right at the crest of my head. The claw is put in on its side on the opposite side to what I sleep on so that it doesn't get bumped around on the pillow or the bed head. Though I have found even if I move around it still doesnt come out, it could be because I sleep on a memory foam pillow so my head doesnt really sink into it. Be warned if you try this with curly hair you will have mondo volume in the morning (which is how I like it :D).

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9461/photo0203k.th.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/i/photo0203k.jpg/)

Teakafrog
December 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah. I get a scalp ache if I wear it up ALL the time. I wear it up to work, then it comes down as soon as I'm home, and on days off it only goes up when I go out.

Debra83
December 11th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I wear it down most of the time now. Very seldom up, and only a few times half up. It's just easier that way.

Dars
December 11th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'd say I wear my hair down and up half half so it all balances out.

jasper
December 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Somehow to me, up is when my hair gets a break. If I wear it down, it's gotta work for a living.

GuardGirl
December 12th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I love wearing my hair down! Unfortunately, my hair turns into a mess that wraps itself around my head and turns into a big poof ball if it stays down too long in the humid Georgia weather where I live. No matter what my intentions are, when my hair starts off down it always ends up in at least a low ponytail or a messy bun.

Fiferstone
December 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'm finding I'm wearing it more up than down these days now that it's at hip/approaching tailbone. I wore it down yesterday for our holiday party and of course came home to tangles, and some mysterious sticky something stuck in it. NOT fun. I do like to give my hair a "break" and take it out of the updo when I come home from work. Then what I do is take it down and detangle. Trying to be better about braiding it for bed, but honestly, I'm finding it is more in the way/getting into things when it's down.

jojo
December 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I have to wear my hair up as its fine and prone to breakage, however in the house I leave it down.

I scoop mine and place inside my wooly hat to protect it too and it keeps me warm!

little_acorn
December 12th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I usually bundle mine up when I go out in a variety of buns to hopefully avoid bun damage. When I'm at home its either down or in 2 English plaits with some lovely oil or a Nightblooming herbal in :D

Jessikinz
December 12th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I love wearing mine down as much as I can. I don't like wearing my hair up that much, and I only put it up in a few select updos. But lately it's been hanging loose. I don't go out much so I don't really worry about that damage that might occur. If I do go outside it's a must to have it up. Especially with the extreme cold winds.

82exoticbeauty
December 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I usually give my hair a break when leaving it down at home after college! My hair is usually up in updo! But the updo part doesn't give me any headaches even my hair is thick!

mommy101405
December 13th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I wear mine up most of the time when I am out now due to static from scarves and the terribly dry air. But I do give it a break when I am at home and put it down. I think its more of a break for my scalp than anything. Nothing like coming home from a long day, taking my hair down and giving my scalp a good massage.

windinherhair
December 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM
It is interesting because once I started to wear my hair up more, I thought I was giving my hair a break that way. I do wear it down once or twice a week now, but it depends on what my husband and I will be doing. I always wear it up on the days I work because it is easier that way, keeping it out of the way.

RoseRedDead
December 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Mine gets a break at night, when I'm sleeping. :)

I'm currently on a wear-hair-up-for-x-number-days challenge, so I obviously am not letting it down much...