PDA

View Full Version : Need some help for my little sister

wackyredtangles
December 11th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Hey all!

I have a 12 year old little sister. She's getting to be the age where she starting to want to do makeup and hair stuff, and do it on her own. Her mom died a few years ago, so its just her and my dad. My dad tries, but I doubt he knows how to do much with hair. She's pretty fashionable with clothes, and hangs out with a much "cooler" crowd than I ever did so there's some pressure with all this stuff. Mostly its just that she's growing up, and wants to learn about this stuff.

She has shorter hair, just past shoulder length. Its fine and straight, but there is a good amount of it.

So anyways, I'd love for anyone to point me in the direction of some great hair, makeup, and any other girly type thing tutorials. I love Torrin Paige's, but most of hers are for longer hair. I will mooch a few of the ones that are on basic braids. There were some great makeup tutorials I used to watch, I think from panacea?

I'm going to compile them into a DVD, which should be fun.

Thanks!

JamieLeigh
December 11th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Pegs has some really good makeup tutorials too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pegasusmarsters

Not sure about hair styling for that length, though...I'm not really any kind of expert on shorter hair. :( Maybe do a search through the articles here, and on YouTube...although a search on YouTube will probably just bring up stuff using heat and harmful other stuff.

melrose1985
December 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I like this lady for make up stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MissChievous

She has a couple of hair videos. Some of her make up is a bit heavy (i still think it's fun) but she does have some great make up videos and make up hauls on there Along with nail polish and some skin care stuff. She also does themes and halloween make up too. If anything i just like watching how she does the make up, her tips are great.

Good luck getting that CD together!

pepperminttea
December 11th, 2009, 11:43 AM
How I learnt to do make-up basics: http://www.youtube.com/user/MichellePhan
Shhh... :o

Anje
December 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Klutz press has a nice book called "Hair: a book of braiding and styles" that's good for hair that's maybe shoulder length to BSL or something like that. Almost all the instructions are specifically for you to do to yourself and it has some very detailed directions to teach how to french braid your own hair. It taught me how to do this with my hair, and I'd recommend it, if you want something non-video.

Magdalene
December 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I enjoy Doe Deere's makeup tutorials.

danacc
December 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I learned a lot about applying make-up by letting salesfolks "do" my face at the make-up counters in department stores or make-up stores in the mall.

There are hair style ideas at ficcare.com and flexi8.com. They are showing off their products, of course, but you could do the same styles with other fasteners.

wackyredtangles
December 12th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't get back sooner. The internet here is kind of slow, so I can't really download the videos off youtube and surf the net.

Anje - she already has the Klutz book, and she said it was too hard. I had that book, or one like it, and its how I learned to do most things.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them out and decide what I want to put on there. :)

Gothic Lolita
December 12th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I played "Beauty salon" with my sister when that age came up. We'd take all our make-up stuff out and would try out different looks on the other one. That way we learned about different shapes of the eyes and stuff. And we were allowed to say if we didn't like the style.

There are also often good beauty articles in these women's magazines like Glamour, Vogue ('ok that's pricey but there are loads of it). I learend frm them all about make-up and foundation and how to do the smokey eyes look.

julliams
December 12th, 2009, 03:29 AM
That Michelle Phan link is great. I sat and watched some of it with my 11 year old who is not really all that into makeup but will discuss it if others are, and she loved it.