PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say hello

celluloidwings
December 11th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Hello everyone. I recently joined LHC after lurking for a little while. :) So far I've found a lot of information but I'm really shy. However, I would like to introduce myself so I'm not a total stranger. My name is Brittany and I just recently started growing my hair out. The longest it has ever been was 26 or so inches and that was 6 years ago. I had all my hair cut off April of 2008 and have finally gotten to 13 inches (lots of hair cuts from April 08 to now)

This is my hair as of last week. I had it cut, razored, relayered, and straightened (Eek)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2776/4165763142_19cbc3e654.jpg

I don't want to cut my hair again until graduation but it's so :mad:. It's naturally wavy and very fine so it's driving me crazy. I'm currently taking a multivitamin and 5000mcg of Biotin a day but I haven't seen any results yet. My ultimate goal length is APL or BSL. I don't even know if that's feasible. :(

Anyhow, hello again everyone. :) I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

missjessiecakes
December 11th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Welcome. I promise we dont bite. There is a whole lot of help here and even better friends. Now where did you get 13 inches. Because I am growing from a pixie and I am sitting at 17 now and your hair is acres longer than mine.

Tangerine
December 11th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Welcome to the LHC community, celluloidwings! :flower: What a pretty girl you are. And as missjessiecakes already said - you are already on your way with the hair growth!

One thing which I think a lot of us here go through is the initial 'balancing out' period. Finding the middle way between trying out lots of routines on the one end, and letting it be on the other ... Because growing your hair does to a large extent just take time and patience ... But in the mean time there's loads to read and chat about on here :D So again, welcome, and enjoy yourself! :blossom:

Loreley
December 11th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Welcome! :puppy:

missjessiecakes
December 11th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the LHC community, celluloidwings! :flower: What a pretty girl you are. And as missjessiecakes already said - you are already on your way with the hair growth!

One thing which I think a lot of us here go through is the initial 'balancing out' period. Finding the middle way between trying out lots of routines on the one end, and letting it be on the other ... Because growing your hair does to a large extent just take time and patience ... But in the mean time there's loads to read and chat about on here :D So again, welcome, and enjoy yourself! :blossom:

Like I said really nice people. Like her ^^^ she always leaves nice comments and support for people :D

Arctic
December 11th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Hello and welcome! members here are very friendly bunch so no need to feel shy!

I think your hair is probably 18" or so if you will measure "the LHC way (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=9)", starting from the forehead and against the head to the nape and to the ends. Cool to gain several inches in few minutes, right?!

I think this is a great photo of you! Good luck on your journey towards long hair!

Tangerine
December 11th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Thank you! :o :o :o You've made me blush.

ETA: meant for missjessiecakes :)

heidi w.
December 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Welcome!!

A few things Celluloidwings. In future, on the internet, you may want to stick to your screen name and not share your real life name. Just to be safe. There's a lot of lurkers to this universe and while for the most part it's safe, there's always one or two that might bug you. Also, take care when sharing a photo of your entire face. These photos here are liftable, that is, anyone can come in and keep for their personal collection. We've even had incidences of photos being stolen and posted to other internet sites without the person's consent, copyright infringement. Just so you know. Just be really careful out there. It's best to save full face photos for when you can build an album or for sharing in parts of this site that lurkers can't access. MANE FORUM lurkers can see. Not all lurkers are bad, but it just takes one or two in the barrel, as they say.

I have no idea when graduation is (and I wouldn't divulge it to keep personal data off an open and viewable forum by anyone) but generally, most average approximately 1/2 inch growth per month. So you can calculate from there. Getting at some point in the future to BSL and beyond: entirely do-able. By the timeframe you have in mind, I don't know because I don't know when your deadline is.

You might look into NATURE'S GATE ULTRA HAIR VITAMINS. Think about Zinc, too, and read up on the merits of folic acid -- but do homework. Don't just go out and buy and take. KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TAKING. Folic acid is usually recommended for pregnant women.

The ULTRA hair vitamins have a LOT of Vitamin A in them. For relative few, this could be problematic, especially if coupled with other vitamin combinations or even nutrition.

Hair grows best in a healthy environment. Good nutrition, consistently over time. The alive part of hair is the hair follicle fed by a vein, blood, the nutrient. Clean scalp skin (although you might not want to wash daily).

ETA: The largest tip I have for a person who's generally been short and now in a layered look is to get to any length there's one thing that's key not to do: don't cut it. No matter how frustrating those bangs, no matter how bad growing out layers can look for a time. You have to hang in there during the ugly phase. There are things you can do with headbands, pinning, aloe gel and so on meanwhile, but it's a phase and it does last and it's unpleasant and you feel pretty unattractive during it. I started at a layered princess Di look, and my signature shows just about where I am now. (I'm a trace yet longer, but not by much since I just had a two inch trim recently.) When tempted, come here, use the 2 week rule. Beware of razoring, thinning and that sort of thing as this compromises the integrity of the cuticle and can lead to damage (splits). Once damaged, that's it. No fixing damage. But even then you don't have to cut it. Check in during your progress with questions and concerns. There's always a way.

Well, welcome and hope this helps somewhat.
heidi w.

heidi w.
December 11th, 2009, 08:23 AM
One more curiosity on my part. I collect antique hair combs which are made of Celluloid (the original plastic).

I was wondering at your reason for celluloidwings.....if there might be any relationship to this early plastic and your interest in it?

heidi w.

JamieLeigh
December 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Welcome to LHC! :flower: You're in good company, there are tons of people here growing out layers.

I bet, by looking at your pic, you could get at least to APL, maybe even a bit past by graduation. Just remember, resist the urge to cut, even if it's driving you crazy! And if you do trim, try to avoid salons, because they love giving layers, and they're REALLY good at talking people into cuts they ordinarily wouldn't have tried - odds are, if you go in looking for just a trim to the bottom to try to even it out, they'll cut layers right back in. Find someone who is trustworthy and can just snip a tiny bit off your ends, if you like a blunt hemline. :)

There's so much good advice and so many awesome men and women on this site. :D

celluloidwings
December 11th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Thank you ladies. I'm sorry it took so long to reply.

I remeasured my hair the LHC way and it is indeed 18 inches. (You're good!) Originally, I had measured from the middle part on the side of my head and down.

I don't mind having layers so much, it actually helps my hair a little. I've just got to get through this phase of having nothing to do with it but throw it back in a clip and that's it. I had senior portraits the other day and thank goodness one of my class members stepped up and did something with my hair because I have no clue what to do at this point. I'm very much a get out of bed and go person. I finger comb my hair and that's the extent of styling unless I give in to straightening. I'm going to try to wait another 8 or so months until I get another trim. That's how long I went this time and my hair was in pretty good shape.

I'll look into the vitamins mentioned. :) I really need to get some zinc because it will probably help with my skin. I take my current supplements at night and I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Also, my screen name is a reference to celluloid based film. I really enjoy photography (film and digital) and I've had the screen name for a looong time. It's one of those things that stick. I've never seen antique combs made of celluloid though. That's really interesting.

This is a long post. D: I didn't want to break everything up though.

Delila
December 12th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I know there's tons of information here to absorb, but I thought I'd ask if you use a blowdryer on your hair or not?

The only reason I ask is that my hair's fine/wavy like yours and when I blowdry, it just drives me nuts. I've been letting mine air dry for quite a while now, and it's much less annoying.

I'm a bit curious to see how mine might respond at shorter lengths, without blowdrying. (Not curious enough to cut my hair, just sort of wondering what it might be like.)

Anyhow, just thought I'd mention it in case it helps you find a less aggravating routine.

Avalin
December 13th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Hi. I am new also and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the notation is for lengths is? I know BSL is bra strap length... but bras have many straps so I don't know how long that is...
I have searched the forum for this but can't seem to find it. Thanks!

rogue_psyche
December 13th, 2009, 01:53 AM
You will probably get to APL by June (I'm guessing that's when you graduate) if you don't cut it at all. Join the No Trims in 2010 thread when it pops up and start babying that hair. I think at your length you can do a french twist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpKp-7MJB7Q&feature=PlayList&p=2D6B072AFB1EE046&index=8) and a sock bun (http://100-hairstyles.freidenkerin.de/index.php?/archives/18-10-The-Sock-Bun-Der-Sockendutt.html).

celluloidwings
December 13th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I don't blow dry my hair at all and I baby it. I keep it in a clip and finger comb it, use primarily organic shampoo and conditioner. That's pretty much it. Blowdrying really adds volume but it also adds to the frizz so I avoid it as much as possible even if my hair stays flat but wavy. I just can't win.

:O I actually can do a French Twist! Haha. That's normally how I pull my hair back, but I have no pretty combs so it's not really a french twist because I hold it in place with a clip. Plus, the new layers make keeping things together a bit difficult at the moment. Ah. I think my hair is much to thin and probably still too short for a sock bun though.

I hope I can be APL by graduation. *crosses fingers*

Honestwitness
December 13th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Welcome, celluloidwings! I have fine, wavy hair, too. There's a thread for us, called "The 2a-F support thread". I have subscribed to it, which means I receive email notifications when someone adds a new post. It helps to be able to compare strategies with one's hair sisters and brothers.

Welcome to you, too, Avalin. I had the same frustration, when I first joined. I think there might be a post in the articles section on abbreviations, but here's my best recollection of hair-length abbreviations:

CL-Chin length
SL-Shoulder length
APL-Arm pit length (the top of the crease between the torso and arm)
BSL-Bra strap length (the horizontal part of the back of the bra)
MBL-Mid-back length (can be the same as BSL, but maybe a better designation for a guy)
Waist-the narrowest part of the lower back
TBL-tail-bone length (top of the vertical crease)
Classic-horizontal crease between derierre and top of thigh
Knee
Ankle
Floor

I hope someone corrects any part of this that is not correct.

Chrissy
December 13th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hi and welcome!! Go to the new start here thread. Then scroll down to links. You will gets lots of info there. Just read as much as you can in the New start here thread. That will keep you busy for awhile!! :) Again welcome to this wonderful community.