PDA

View Full Version : Deep Conditioning and Flat Irons

zsuper
December 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I did a deep conditioning treatment just over a week ago.

I normally straighten my hair with a flat iron. Directly after the treatment, I was able to straighten my hair easily, but it was a bit poofier than normal. Since then, my flat iron has been unable to get my hair straight.

Even at the highest setting, 200 degrees, it still comes out with a bit of wave and it doesn't do anything to reduce the volume, which is the main reason I straighten it.

Any ideas on what I can do about this? I really liked what the deep conditioning treatment did to help get rid of frizz and make my hair softer, but not being able to get rid of the volume is a major down side.

Brat
December 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM
What do you use when you flat iron? Heat spray? Serum? Nothing?

Dars
December 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
My thoughts...layers and possibly getting your hair thinned. Both a lot more hair friendly at reducing volume than hair straighteners. When I used to straighten my hair I found an excellent quality straightener with ceramic plates (like GHD) worked like magic than metal plates and cheaper versions.

Edit: Also the straightener can be faulty or just run it's course if it's showing up a 200 degrees reading and not giving you results.

zsuper
December 10th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I use Moroccan Oil for protection, and that's the only product I use.

My flat iron is relatively new, it's a digital Chi (i.e. both very good and very expensive), and I can confirm that the temperature is correct; I almost burned my hand by touching an area the plates just went over.

mira-chan
December 11th, 2009, 07:01 AM
The conditioning treatment might have brought out more of your natural curl. Thus it might resist the texture change a bit more. This would be my guess, then again I know nothing about straighteners.

jojo
December 11th, 2009, 07:42 AM
If hair gets too much moisture and is lacking in protein it can go as I describe 'mushy' therefore straightening is basically mushing it up more. How can I expplain this? OK DC not only put moisture back into hair but they temperally change the texture I.E more waves/curls become apparent, so when you use straighteners its like giving your hair mixed messages, especially as it will be much softer after the DC.

I would guess your hair is crying out for protein, especially if you straighten as often as you do. Although straightening does make hair look smooth undoubtably your hair will be damaged. Think of your hair as fish scales in healthy non damaged hair the scales all run in the same direction >>>>>>>>> this is what gives our shine as the light bounces and reflects off the scales, now use straighteners and over a period of time you get this effect >><><><>>< roughed up scales, so you DC and get >>>><<>>>, now use heat and your artificially getting >>>>>>>> but your hairs cuticle is fighting against it, which is why hair is harder to get straight. (hope this makes sense, its so much harder explaining in writing!)

My advice would be do not use the straighteners apart from on special occassions, your hair will get weaker and eventually break on the ends. Do a protein treatment the placenta ones are great and allow your hair to recover and show its true texture. I too love straightening I use a treseme heat protection spray and a serum but only do straighten 4 x if that a year. I dont use a hairdrier.

I hope this makes sense, I went on a bit there!

alys
December 14th, 2009, 11:58 AM
200 is very low. for me i need a professional iron that heats up to 350 or higher. drugstore irons have never been able to flatten my hair and maintain that look all day. i spent 130 in a CHI about 5 years ago and it's worth every penny. my hair laughs at 200 degrees :)

halo_tightens
December 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM
200 is very low. for me i need a professional iron that heats up to 350 or higher. drugstore irons have never been able to flatten my hair and maintain that look all day. i spent 130 in a CHI about 5 years ago and it's worth every penny. my hair laughs at 200 degrees :)

Ow........

spidermom
December 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Use a silicone heat protectant spray. It helps with the frizziness/volume problem, and it also slows down heat penetration into the innermost structure of hair. This sort of product is essential to getting good results from heat styling.

But you're still going to get damage so you probably aren't going to be able to get your hair to grow out very long (I don't see a goal for you). You'll probably be able to get at least waist length, however.