PDA

View Full Version : Leaving tangles in hair between washes

Curlsgirl
April 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I have curly hair as you can see and so when I have tangles you really can't SEE them so sometimes I leave them until washing or CWC so I can comb more easily with condtioner on it. My question is, does this make my hair break easier since the shed hairs get caught in it? I do finger comb a bit or even detangle sometimes but I wonder if I am causing more damage this way than waiting until I can detangle easily in the shower. Opinions or experience please?

OhioLisa
April 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I typically run a comb through my hair right after washing, then do not do so again til after the next wash. When I take down my hair to restyle it in the morning, I just fingercomb enough to get it smooth, then up it goes again. I don't see a NEED in getting every tangle out. Or perhaps I am just lazy. :silly:

lora410
April 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM
When doing my dd's curls I learned if I don't wet and comb them daily I have to deal with matted hair later on.

Cichelle
April 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM
This has been a big dilemma for me. Whenever I do go some time between washes, I know my hair is just getting more and more tangled by the day. This is mostly due to shed hair that gets caught up in other hair and causes big problems. I've learned that shed hair removal is one of the most important things I need to do to prevent breakage and other very unpleasant problems like general rat's nesting. For this reason, I try never to go too long between washes, where the water or conditioner or shampoo greatly assists in detangling, reducing possible breakage or damage. Also, I found that if I detangle well at least every other day, following up with a denman brush to remove all traces of shed hair, then I don't have much of an issue. But...

I go through times when my schedule does not permit my usual frequent washing and detangling method. At these times, I often cannot control the urge to fingercomb through the tangles and get out some of the shed hair while my hair is dry. But I don't know if this is such a good thing for my hair. My hair type is clearly different than yours, so I don't know what you experience. But it's a tedious job for me to get all the tangles and shed hair out with my fingers...and I'm kind of scared I'm damaging my hair. Also, my ends usually feel dry after I do this. And if I don't immediately wash...if I put my hair up again, it just gets tangled again and doesn't feel very good.

Ultimately, I have decided not to comb my hair, with my fingers or anything else, in between washings and to be sure not to go more than every third or fourth day. My hair is just too moody and ornery when it's dry and it doesn't like to be bothered in that way. Water soothes it and makes it happy. IOW, more damage is done to my hair by manipulating it dry, then leaving the shed hair to just sit there until I can get water to it.

I hope this made sense!

alligatorbaby23
April 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Curlsgirl, thanks for asking this question.
I don't detangle between washes, blah poofy dryness if I do. My shed hairs seem to fall out of their own accord, although it can be annoying. I do not think you would be causing any damage, as the mechanical side of detangling is what causes the breakage. Thus, I gather, the less you detangle, perhaps the better off you are. Hopefully someone more experienced will come along and affirm, or disaffirm this theory of mine.

missy60
April 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
If when you detangle with conditioner in and the tangles come out easily I dont think you are doing any harm. If you left it for days and got matted tangles that were hard to remove, that would lead to possibly more breakage. I never comb my hair unless I havent washed it for a few days and get the wild bush lady hair. I then mist it and sort of pick through it lightly to get a more smooth look. I cant let my hair go to many day between washing though because my ends sort of dry out and my curls get a deformed look. I have sorted of master the bun so maybe that will help stretch out wash days.

Your hair looks great and what ever your doing must be working I wouldnt worry about it.

spidermom
April 25th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I've got an obsessive need to detangle my hair several times a day unless I'm having one of those rare days when the style I did in the morning stays comfortably all day.

This morning my son came in with wet matted hair and asked me if I could braid it. I told him it would be too hard to get all the tangles out, so I only did what I had to do in order to separate into 3 strands, then braided .... matts and all. It's going to be a nightmare to get those tangles out. He keeps saying he's going to cut it; I wish he would.

Curlsgirl
April 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
When doing my dd's curls I learned if I don't wet and comb them daily I have to deal with matted hair later on.I don't really get the "matted" hair thing unless I let it blow too much in the wind which I do NOT do. I wear updos when it's windy.

This has been a big dilemma for me. Whenever I do go some time between washes, I know my hair is just getting more and more tangled by the day. This is mostly due to shed hair that gets caught up in other hair and causes big problems. I've learned that shed hair removal is one of the most important things I need to do to prevent breakage and other very unpleasant problems like general rat's nesting. For this reason, I try never to go too long between washes, where the water or conditioner or shampoo greatly assists in detangling, reducing possible breakage or damage. Also, I found that if I detangle well at least every other day, following up with a denman brush to remove all traces of shed hair, then I don't have much of an issue. But...

I go through times when my schedule does not permit my usual frequent washing and detangling method. At these times, I often cannot control the urge to fingercomb through the tangles and get out some of the shed hair while my hair is dry. But I don't know if this is such a good thing for my hair. My hair type is clearly different than yours, so I don't know what you experience. But it's a tedious job for me to get all the tangles and shed hair out with my fingers...and I'm kind of scared I'm damaging my hair. Also, my ends usually feel dry after I do this. And if I don't immediately wash...if I put my hair up again, it just gets tangled again and doesn't feel very good.

Ultimately, I have decided not to comb my hair, with my fingers or anything else, in between washings and to be sure not to go more than every third or fourth day. My hair is just too moody and ornery when it's dry and it doesn't like to be bothered in that way. Water soothes it and makes it happy. IOW, more damage is done to my hair by manipulating it dry, then leaving the shed hair to just sit there until I can get water to it.

I hope this made sense!Yes makes perfect sense. I go about 4 days max too because of this. I don't like to detangle when it's curly or it just gets frizzy and scary! It also is VERY hard to work through the tangles and it does seem like it's doing more harm than good.

If when you detangle with conditioner in and the tangles come out easily I dont think you are doing any harm. If you left it for days and got matted tangles that were hard to remove, that would lead to possibly more breakage. I never comb my hair unless I havent washed it for a few days and get the wild bush lady hair. I then mist it and sort of pick through it lightly to get a more smooth look. I cant let my hair go to many day between washing though because my ends sort of dry out and my curls get a deformed look. I have sorted of master the bun so maybe that will help stretch out wash days.

Your hair looks great and what ever your doing must be working I wouldnt worry about it.

Thanks Missy!!! I don't have any problems detangling in the shower with conditioner and I am very careful. So I agree. I am glad to hear all of your responses. I think part of it really is a hair type thing. I feel like I am causing MUCH less damage the way I am doing it. I feel better now though!

Spidermom, If I braid I only separate into 3 sections and braid too instead of detangling all my hair. The exception perhaps is a french braid from the crown. But I understand if he doesn't take care of it why you would want him to cut it.

Curlsgirl
April 25th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Curlsgirl, thanks for asking this question.
I don't detangle between washes, blah poofy dryness if I do. My shed hairs seem to fall out of their own accord, although it can be annoying. I do not think you would be causing any damage, as the mechanical side of detangling is what causes the breakage. Thus, I gather, the less you detangle, perhaps the better off you are. Hopefully someone more experienced will come along and affirm, or disaffirm this theory of mine.You're welcome! You described my feelings almost exacty!

I typically run a comb through my hair right after washing, then do not do so again til after the next wash. When I take down my hair to restyle it in the morning, I just fingercomb enough to get it smooth, then up it goes again. I don't see a NEED in getting every tangle out. Or perhaps I am just lazy. :silly:

Nope, I think it is whatever works best for each person. It stands to reason why it would be better if you DID not detangle if it causes more breakage in the long run.

jessie58
April 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Well Curlsgirl, you asked a question I have thought about myself. I also got some very good advice and answers from this thread. Thanks guys.

Top_Cat
April 25th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Im with lora410 on this one - if i dont detangle daily my hair becomes matted in no time and I have to cut them out.

Curlsgirl
April 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Im with lora410 on this one - if i dont detangle daily my hair becomes matted in no time and I have to cut them out.

Have you ever tried getting them out with your hair soaking in the shower with a good conditioner on it? If that still doesn't work for you it may just be your hairtype.:shrug:

Kittee
April 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I've got an obsessive need to detangle my hair several times a day unless I'm having one of those rare days when the style I did in the morning stays comfortably all day.
<snip>.

I am with spidermom. My routine is this...

Morning- I get up and take down last nights braiding. Then I use a wide toothed comb to come/style.

Evening- I take my hair down and put it up into a bun or braid.

Night- I use the wide toothed comb again and smooth hair out for braiding. I braid it and goto sleep.

Only time that changes is every 3-4 days I wash, and when I do that I wide comb some leave in conditioner, let it air dry some then braid for sleep.

Naturally I do not have the most refined curls of the ladies on the board here but I'd rather than than knots and snarls. :draw:

Sofoulee
April 25th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Oh, curlsgirl I have the exact same problem because I have extremelyl curly hair. If I find any knots or tangles in my hair I surely leave them for when I have my hands on some great conditioner. Tearing at the hair while it's dry or whne it has no slip has got to do far more damage than waiting for some assistance!

jessie58
April 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Sofoulee both you and your hair are simply beautiful.

I just remembered that when I used to use WO often, the more I rinsed my hair daily, the less tangles I used to have, and this was with no product at all.

Riot Crrl
April 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I got curly hair too. I don't "wash" it (even with CO) every day, but I get it wet, put conditioner on, and detangle it pretty much every day. Trying to get anything through it when dry is an exercise in breakage and cotton candy-ness.

Islandgrrl
April 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I don't typically do a lot of detangling. Usually I just comb it through with conditioner in it, put up in a towel and then comb through once again when it's damp. That's it. It goes up and down until next time it gets COd. I am admittedly, quite lazy when it comes to making my hair "perfect."

DragonMommie
April 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I actually like to braid my hair without de-tangling first.... the braids appear larger that way. I also love to braid after a light oiling for the same reason.

seabear
April 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I have tried it both ways, curlsgirl, and I don't notice any difference in shedding during a wash either way. My hair looks better if I don't detangle dry, so I don't.