PDA

View Full Version : Effective, gentle way to dry hair?

vega_pleiades
December 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Hallo hallo! I'm new to this community, and I'm trying to find a good way to dry my BSL, very fine, very straight hair. I used to be a huge blow dryer addict, but I'm trying to break that habit now because of how badly it ****s hair up. I shower every day, and air-drying usually leaves my hair looking so frizzy and messy, and it takes HOURS. Lately I've been trying to towel-dry, but it seems like it would be a bad environment for hair?

How do you dry your hair?

RocketDog
December 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I loosely wrap my hair up in a towel to soak up the drippies, then comb and air-dry. In the winter it takes a while, and I do occasionally use a diffuser set on low to dry my scalp so I don't freeze...

sibylla
December 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I have an extra set of towels. When one gets soaked I put on a new dry one and my hair dries in 10 min instead of 20 hours..Then I fan my hair with a spanish hand fan and comb ut with a wooden comb. The cinnamon bun is excelent for drying the hair.I allways make sure that the hair drippes in the bathtub.Every water drop is a minute in drying time...

BlndeInDisguise
December 10th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I usually don't use anything at all to dry my hair, but when I do, I use an old T-shirt. It's a lot easier on your hair than a terry cloth towel.

SandyStar
December 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM
When I am in a rush to dry my hair here is what I do:

I wrap my hair up in a thick dry towel and turban it on the top of my head. I leave it on for about 30 mins. That dries up my hair a lot.

Then what I can do is is sit in front of a fan set on high. The cool breeze dries my hair fast. I'm lucky my hair doesn't tangle though. It may or may not work for you.

Dars
December 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Given that you have fine and i thickness I am puzzled that it takes hours for your hair to dry. IMO the most effective and gentle way to dry my hair is to just let it be. After I've rinsed out the conditioner I don't touch it till it's dry with anything besides air - that's it. With my F/M and ii hair it doesn't take hours and my hair is of normal/healthy porous.

florenonite
December 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I've got waist-length, fine, thick hair and my hair takes about four or five hours to dry in the winter, less in the summer. I have a microfibre towel that I use to help cut drying time, though I don't "towel dry", as that causes a lot of breakage. I wrap a corner of the towel round my hair and squeeze the water out of the length. Then I repeat with the corner on the same side (lengthwise) of the towel. I bend over at the waist and wrap my hair in the towel. When I'm dressed I bend over and remove the towel. I squeeze it down the length again and then wrap it up turban-style again for another ten to fifteen minutes. Then I simply take it off and finger-comb my hair out.

I live in a cool, damp climate (coastal Scotland), and with this method my hair dries in four to five hours at night (well, most of the time it's night here in the winter ;)) in the winter. It only takes two or three hours in the summer because it's warmer.

mommy101405
December 14th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I generally wash my hair in the evening so I just let it air dry which does take quite a few hours, esp in the winter. When I wash it in the morning it dry it with my hair dryer on the lowest setting and lowest heat with a diffuser and direction it so its blowing my hair downward so i get less frizz.

I use a microfiber towel to help soak up a lot of the excess water to help the drying along but I am starting to wonder if that is contributing to some of the frizziness in my hair.

Nae
December 14th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I don't know if this would work but perhaps a Shamwow would help to soak up all the extra moisture. :hmm:

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I posted a few times in this thread about some blow drying tips and a way of drying even longer hair, especially if thick that I learned from Lady Grace.

This might be a good starter kit to help you.

heidi w.
D'OH -- the link would help, eh?!!!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38347

heidi w.
December 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
One thing to know is that hair that is clumped takes longer to dry than somehow organized to thinner sections of hair volume.

heidi w.