PDA

View Full Version : Do I need more confirmation?

Gothic Lolita
December 10th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Some of you might remember a thread a while ago where I posted a pic of all the hair I shed during one shower. To me it seemed like a huge amount and altough many told me that it was a perfectly normal amount I still was concerned. I probably do shed more than a lot of people but not that much.

I found that I shed extremly much after using a certain shampoo, whereas with another one, designed for children with neurodermatitis, I lost way less.
This shampoo is really expensive and although my mother gave me one bottle for Nikolaus (Santa Clause? 6 th December), I've been wantng to try out soapnuts for a while. My favourite grocery now has them and for a very good price so I decided to go and get some.

Here is the picture of my commcercial shampoo shedding again:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Destillat/100_1888.jpg

And here you can see the beautiful picute of my shedding amont after my first soapnut wash ever!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Destillat/100_1911.jpg

Does anybody need to be convinced that for me obviously the soapnuts are heaven sent? My hair also feels nice, has more body and volume and I didn't need as much condish as I usually do. I think, next to the beloved Eubos neurodermatitis shampoo, I've found soapnuts wih a drop of lavender EO to be my new washing method of choice. I hope the next washes with the soapnuts will be as successful, but I'm positive they will be.

halo_tightens
December 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Wow!

I just tried my first soapnut wash this week, too. Normally, most of my shedding is done when I wash, and my hands are full of shed hairs after I finish. This time, though, I didn't shed at all in the wash! There's definitely something to this. :)

Heidi_234
December 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
When I switched from shampoos to soapnuts my shedding decreased beautifully. :D I think shampoos are too harsh for my never-oily scalp and soapnuts and quite gentle yet cleansing. :agree:

kmangus
December 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Wow thats amazing! *runs off to go research soapnuts*

burns_erin
December 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Glad you found something that works for you!

hmmm
December 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Gotta love herbs! :D

rogue_psyche
December 10th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I would love to try soapnuts, but I haven't found a supplier in Los Angeles. All this talk of decreased shedding makes me excited.

halo_tightens
December 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I just did my second-ever herbal wash. Though I did shed some this time, it was still WAY less than with an ordinary wash.

I can't tell yet if I'm shedding more/less the rest of the time or not. I'm very interested in figuring it out as soon as possible, though! MORE HAIR = ME HAPPY :D

Gothic Lolita
December 10th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I'm really glad I tried that experiment. Even my mother started commenting how my hair always was everywhere on the floor and. When I tried to detangle after washing, even more hair would come out. Of course, I can still pull quite a few hair out, but i wash only 3 times a week and always keep my hair up, so I think that all the hairs that normally would fall out just come out when I wash. I thik the drop of lavendar EO is also a good addition. I've found that whenenver I try something with lavendar, my scalp is happier. The neurodermatits shampoo also contains it.

Arctic
December 11th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Gothic Lolita, what kind of scalp skin do you have? (oily, dry, normal, etc)
I'm really interested about soapnuts too but am quite a bit afraid if they would not clean enough for me, I have quite oily hair/skin/scalp and my scalp has previously reacted with scalp acne to my attempts of reducing sulfate shampoos (I have acne prone skin).

Henna Sooq
December 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have heard that a lot about soapnuts and shampoo bars as well. Try either one and you'll see a big shedding difference.

I usually shed a lot personally. Well to me at least it seems so. I can pull out about 5-10 hairs in a shower alone. But then throughout the day or if I've been swimming, get hairs all over. Funny when hubby, finds them on his body!!

kwaniesiam
December 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I love soapnuts and shampoo bars. I can't really use soapnuts anymore since they make my hair too soft for dreads for regular washing, but when I used them on brushable hair the results were fantastic. I still use them occasionally. Glad you found something that works for you!

Henna Sooq
December 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Isn't that really neat, that it makes your hair so soft? That's really interesting. A point worth taking down. (regarding how it affects dreads).

thankyousir74
December 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I'm really interested about soapnuts too but am quite a bit afraid if they would not clean enough for me, I have quite oily hair/skin/scalp and my scalp has previously reacted with scalp acne to my attempts of reducing sulfate shampoos (I have acne prone skin).

I am also curious about this, as my scalp also can get pretty grimy as I stretch out washes pretty far.

Othala
December 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Glad the soapnuts worked for you. They worked OK on my scalp, not good on the hair (didn't shift oil, conditioner, etc) but the worst thing was the blasted things nuked my eyes. NEVER get soapnut liquid in your eyes. It's hell.

halo_tightens
December 11th, 2009, 10:11 PM
NEVER get soapnut liquid in your eyes. It's hell.

Don't taste it, either. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Gothic Lolita
December 12th, 2009, 02:33 AM

Sorry for the late answer, wasn't here yesterday. I've sensitive skin that is somewhat dry but usually feels coated with sebum on my scalp. After two days I've got to wash or I'll look horrible. The scalp will then still be covered with a light film of sebum, otherwise it would dry out instantly. The skin on my face and back is also acne-prone and I've used the soapnut liquid for bodywasing as well and didn't have any negative side-effects, but I'm still watching it.

I think I'll rotate the soapnuts with the neurodermatitis stuff. That's sulfate-free as well, but cleans a bit better, if I need it after a heavy oiling or somewhat.
And I've also found that on day 2 I had to brush my hair very well with my BBB to leave the house, but that the oils distributed much better then usually over my length. Acutally my hair looked better on day two than on day one!

Heidi_234
December 12th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I'm not sure if that's of any help, but I definitely managed to wash off completely EVOO preoiled scalp with soapnuts.

Oh! and I just recalled - Millie, our soapnut guru, she has VERY oily scalp and hair, and she used soapnuts with tremendous success.

Arctic
December 12th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Thank you Gothic Lolita and Heidi 234!
I should just buy a sample size package sometimes, and try, it not like I'd have to switch to them 100% but occasionally soap nut wash would probably be better for my hair than not any. And if I get some reactions, they can be used to wash laundry. *brewing a new experiment*

TheBlondeApple
December 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I think, next to the beloved Eubos neurodermatitis shampoo

That's sulfate-free as well

Could you be more specific? I searched the Eubos site and didn't find any sulphate-free shampoo.

Anja

Gothic Lolita
December 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM
BlondeApple, the neurdodermatitis series is one for children and called HautRuhe. The stuff I use is a washgel which can also be used as shampoo. I don't know if they sell it everywhere or only in Germany (don't know where you live), but I know that Eubos also carries very good shampoo for extremly dry skin in their normal sortiment.

Autumnberry
December 12th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure if that's of any help, but I definitely managed to wash off completely EVOO preoiled scalp with soapnuts.

Oh! and I just recalled - Millie, our soapnut guru, she has VERY oily scalp and hair, and she used soapnuts with tremendous success.

Yes, you are right, and my scalp is very oily, too. I think soapnuts would be worth a try :D.

TheBlondeApple
December 12th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Ah, I just found the main page (http://web.eubos.de/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=6) and checked the shampoos, there.
Here are the INCIs of the Eubos HAUT RUHE WASCHGEL Haut & Haar for those interested:
Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis (Leaf Juice) Gel, Sorbitol, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Glycerin, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Lactate, Glyceryl Oleate, Coco-Glucoside, Lactic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Iminodisuccinate, Maris Sal, Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Linalool
Anja

Gothic Lolita
December 13th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Yes, that'S the stuff! I like it very much, it has a nice smell, which is not too strong and is very gentle to scalp and hair. And i like that htere is so mch Aloe in there.

Pifkin
December 13th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Awesome! Looks like I need to try soapnuts... Where can you buy them? I don't remember ever seeing them in stores.

ShaSha
December 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM

I have oily scalp, and for me the powdered soapnut works best. There is more soapnut, less water. I just pat it to my scalp, massage a bit and rinse. Another powder I like contains shikakai, amla, aritha, soapnuts and some other herbs.

Heidi_234
December 16th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Awesome! Looks like I need to try soapnuts... Where can you buy them? I don't remember ever seeing them in stores.
I found them in health stores, they might be in the laundry section.

Gothic Lolita
December 16th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I found them in grocery chain, in the laundry section. The chain group is DM, but I'm pretty sure you can get them in helath food stores or online

hennaphile
December 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
See how it holds up. If you use the squirt bottle method, soap niuts are great for shedding. I've been using shikakai and am finding that everyday is WAY too harsh, but maybe a few times a week :)